DPX Has Corbon changed bullets?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by gordon11, Nov 18, 2010.

1. gordon11

gordon11 Active Member

Dec 30, 2007
    I finally let Corbon off probation and decided to restock my P3AT carry mag with DPX.  Ordered a box from Cabelas because they're nearly impossible to find locally.  When I opened the box and inspected the rounds it looks like a completely different bullet.  Are they no longer using Barnes?  The rounds I got have an all copper bullet but it's much more conical and has a miniscule cavity compared to the DPX round I have left over from the old box.
    I hope they haven't switched to the one Magtech loads in theirs.
    [​IMG]

2. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Very interesting.

Why not just go to the source and ask (and then kindly report back to us :)).

Ref: http://www.shopcorbon.com/Contact.aspx#C5

Dakota Ammo, Inc. & Glaser, LLC
    1311 Industry Rd.
    Sturgis, SD 57785

Headquarter Main Phone No.

1800-626-7266

3. gordon11

gordon11 Active Member

Dec 30, 2007
    Sent them an email. Waiting to hear back. Will call later today when I get a chance. Can't wait to hear their response.

4. gordon11

gordon11 Active Member

Dec 30, 2007
    Got a response. They are making their own bullets, so when you order Corbon you may get either the Barnes or their own. According to Dakota, the performance is the same. Will have to test some...

5. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    Why is it when I (we) find some great ammo for the P3at they end up changing the bullet?

I no expert but I just can't see those two bullets acting the same way. Barnes makes an outstanding bullet.

Just like when Buffalo Bore stopped using Gold dots.

CJ

6. gordon11

gordon11 Active Member

Dec 30, 2007
    I know exactly what you mean. It's frustrating. I will try to test some in the next week or so.

7. gordon11

gordon11 Active Member

Dec 30, 2007
    Test completed:  Light clothing over water and into wetpack.  Wetpack was soaked less than 24 hours but the bullet did pass thru water before entering wetpack.  The result was a plugged tumbler that did not expand at all.  But my Barnes loaded DPX was phenominal.  Spent bullet pics to be posted later. :(

8. peaceful99

peaceful99 New Member

Oct 21, 2005
    Guess I won't be buying any more until this is sorted out.  Good job honing in on this G11.   :cool:

9. Picatinny_Pete

Picatinny_Pete New Member

Sep 2, 2009
    Hi,

Thanks for the info. I was thinking of trying these out, but will stay with Gold Dots until this sorts itself out.

Best Regards

10. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    Just a heads up, Double Tap makes a 380 load with the Barnes bullet. The energy is supposed to be a little higher than DPX. I think it will be a toss up between the DT and Gold dot next time I buy ammo for my P3.

CJ

11. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Wow, good stuff to know, thanks, but very disappointing to learn this about the new DPX bullet.

12. gordon11

gordon11 Active Member

Dec 30, 2007
    [​IMG]
    2 bullets - same gun - same medium: different results
    New Corbon DPX bullet is on the left; Barnes is on the right.
    For those that subrscribe to the tumble produces trauma theory; this did appear to hold true in this instance.  For me I'll stick to expanding ammo.

13. chihuahuatn

chihuahuatn New Member

Aug 31, 2008
    Oh no! DPX has been my 380 carry ammo, I hope this change is not long term.
    BTW, thank you gordon11 for bringing this to our attention,
    Mike

14. oldgranpa

oldgranpa New Member

Sep 23, 2004
    thank you gordon11 for an excellent report on your tests. I stick with Speer GoldDot and it costs less too.
    og

15. gordon11

gordon11 Active Member

Dec 30, 2007
    Yes OG, as many of your tests have shown the Gold Dot may not offer as much expansion as did the Barnes version of the DPX but it does give consistency; and best of all an unchanging design.
    BTW: OG, I've followed your insight across gun forums for some time and am quite honored to have you reply to my thread.

16. oldgranpa

oldgranpa New Member

Sep 23, 2004
    thanks, gordon11 for your kind words. The 'honor' is mine that anything I've done has helped. I'm also pleased to see you doing wetpack tests. Just too old anymore to carry the heavy wetpack box to the range.

It appears that CorBon has made a poor decision to change bullets on their DPX. I actually looks like they are buying the bullets from MagTech. In our early tests in 2006 with DPX when it first became available, I had a box of MagTech's 77gr copper JHP for comparison. It didn't expand. I also tested it with a Sig P232 with the longer barrel and again it didn't expand. Here is a link to the first test where I have added a picture showing the comparison of the two. Note the smaller cavity on the MagTech.

http://usrange.org/smf/index.php?topic=317.0

Those of you who are CorBon fans should contact them and complain about the change.

I'm no longer a CorBon fan. Wasted money on their .32NAA ammo and a pistol several years ago. Recoil was terrible and many malfunctions. I also had miseralbe luck with their PowrBall stuff. Plus their 90gr. JHP ammo didn't expand for me with the P3AT. Reports are in my WWW thing at page bottom. Mostly I find their stuff is expensive compared to other brands. So I just don't use it anymore.

Whatever,
    og

17. CCWMan

CCWMan New Member

Aug 5, 2005
    Perhaps those of you who are unhappy with the change CB has made could write or email the company. IF they get enough complaints about this they might change it back.

EDITED TO ADD:

Sorry for the redundancy, for some reason I didn't see OG's last post. I think he has a great idea. I got results with a similar letter writing campaign 10 years ago when we had QC problems with another brand.