DPX/Gold Dot Raccoon test.

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Packer, May 21, 2006.

1. Packer

Packer Banned

May 14, 2005
      While returning from grocery store today, I observed the car in front of me hit a raccoon. He didn't stop but I and my trusty plastic bag did. That raccoon died for a good scientific cause.

First test preparation: 1.5 inches of newspaper on dirt. Five inch thick raccoon on top of paper. All shots fired from top of 6 foot stepladder.

DPX results:

1] Two rounds through and through raccoon, through newspaper and more than 6 inches deep in dirt. No bullets were recovered but holes through paper and dirt were huge so I assume they expanded fully.

2] Added phonebook on top of paper, with several sheets of paper on top, then raccoon. Two rounds through raccoon penetrated 2 inches into phone book. Both rounds fully expanded and petals slightly bent back Expansion 5/8 inch diameter.

You may remember from my previous DPX phone book test, None of the brands expanded in the PB except Win Silvertip which partially expanded. The DPX did penetrate entire phone book though and was the only round to do so.

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=104;action=display;num=1146246090;start=0

This time, the DPX hit the flesh of the raccoon first, (after passing through about an inch of fur) and expanded fully.

It has been my experience that animal fur is a far more potent clogger of hollowpoint bullets than a few layers of denim:

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=104;action=display;num=1116691319;start=0

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=104;action=display;num=1116522705;start=0

Fur does not impede DPX at all.

Speer Gold Dot results:

All jackets remained attached to Speer bullets.

1] Two rounds through raccoon and 1.5 inches of newspaper and deep into dirt. Small holes in newspaper indicate no expansion. Found one bullet about 4 inches deep in dirt. Bullet was mangled, but not expanded.  Coud not find other bullet because needle nose pliers only reach six inches deep.

2] Raccoon on phone book. Two rounds through raccoon and into phone book. One round penetrated about 1/2 inch in PB. This round, while not mushroomed, was flattened out to about 1/2 inch diameter. Second round penetrated about 1 inch into phone book. This round did not expand, but was severely mangled and measured 3/8 inch at widest point.

[​IMG]

Above: First, DPX then Gold Dot rounds, recovered from phone book after passing through raccoon.

Conclusions:

DPX is an awesome round even from P3AT. In first test, the fully expanded bullets penetrated a five inch raccoon, 1 1/2 inches of dry newspaper, and at least 6 inches of dirt, leaving a 3/4 inch hole in everything.

In the second test, two fully expanded rounds were recovered after penetrating 5 inches of raccoon and 2 inches of dry phone book. Huge holes in both raccoon and PB. Fully expanded DPX, after going through raccoon, penetrated one inch further into phone book than unexpanded Speer Gold Dot, and more than 1 1/2 inches further than mostly expanded Gold Dot. I can only assume that a fully expanded Gold Dot would penetrate even less. Recoil from DPX and Gold Dot seemed similar. They both kick a lot more than WWB, but it is perfectly manageable. On one of the DPX tests, I forgot to put on my ear protection. These are very loud shooting rounds.

IMHO, how a bullet performs through actual flesh is at least as important if not more so, than how it performs in any "contrived" medium.

This DPX is far more powerful and damaging than any other .380 round I have tested. I am convinced that I am now carrying the best defensive round available for my P3AT.

Excuse me, now I have to go bury a raccoon.

Packer.

2. Bobo

Bobo Active Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    Thanks for the great info!

Yet another DPX/P-3AT confirmation. ;D

3. DT_Willy

DT_Willy New Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Hold on, Packer. Before you bury the raccoon, I think it's appropriate to cloth the critter in four layers of denim, and test again. OK, I'm just kidding. Seriously, that test's pretty darn impressive, especially compared to the Gold Dot, an excellent round. The only contender left that I want to test is the Ranger-T, which I will do very shortly.

Hey, this calibrated ballistic racoon test may become the new standard. Are you open to shipping the critter to me in a large Fed-ex envelope for further testing? Do you think that would raise any suspicion?

4. Packer

Packer Banned

May 14, 2005
      Sorry, DT, There is no place left to shoot him in. DPX has flat tore up this coon. I had hoped to test the same rounds out of my P11, but that will have to wait. There are plenty of raccoons on the highway these days. The hard part though is finding a fresh one.

Edited to add: Oh heck, You made me go look at him and there actually were still some good spots l left, so I shot some more holes from P11 before I buried him.

Packer.

5. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    umm  uumm  i know some one is eating good tonight ;D

6. c0wboi

c0wboi Guest

GREAT work!

As I'm new to the 3AT, I had regular Corbon in them, as that is all that's available in my area. After reading the wet-newspaper tests from last week, I placed a fairly large order for .380 DPX.

I'm now very glad I did! Thank you!!

As a side note, when I started reading this, I thought you started doing all this testing right there on the side of the road. 8)

I'm picturing some guy on the road-side, standing on a 6 foot tall step ladder, shooting into a dead coon on a phone book....

The tears are still flowing....

Can you imagine the passing cars??

"What the fudge is that guy DOING?!?!?!!?"

7. Packer

Packer Banned

May 14, 2005
      You guys are too funny! LMAO  ;D

COwboi: I have entertained the thought, whenever I see a dead deer on the highway, of jumping out and shooting him with a few rounds from my P11, just to see what effect it would have.

So far, though, I have resisted the urge. (Memo to self, must put phone book in trunk.)

Packer.

8. jocko

jocko Guest

nice test packer, we have lots of road kill deer here within a half mile of my home. I know the consefvation officeer really well, I think I will talk to him and ask him the next time he picks up a road kill to dispose of it to get ahold of me and I will go with him to do some testing on the deer. ;D ;D

jocko, who might even take a "french war" rifle to test it to, to see if they even shoot. ::) ::)

9. Hutch01

Hutch01 New Member

Sep 17, 2005
    In that you compared it to Gold Dot using the same raccoon test media, that is impressive. Hmmmm, the Gold Dot didn't expand? ??? ???

One thing to not forget is that dead animals don't equate to live tissue. It's a bit different.

However, since you compared it to Gold Dot under the same conditions, this is an eye opener! :eek: :eek:

Everyone who has tested this stuff recently has commented on the large hole. I think we've got something going here.....

How much is that DPX again?

PS: It's a shame you had to ruin your supper with bullet holes, Packer. ;D ;D

10. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    It;s called tenderizing :-/

11. Packer

Packer Banned

May 14, 2005
      Too funny, Hutch01 and JFB!

One of the GD rounds did partially expand. They probably don't like the P3AT's short barrel. The GD 9mm 124gr. short-barrel did much better in the P11 though.

Also, Animal fur seems to be a much more stringent test for hollowpoints than denim. IMO, if a HP performs well through fur, it will go through ANY clothing without clogging.

That raccoon was very freshly dead! It was knocked in head, but nothing else got run-over and all else was normal for testing.

I saw it killed and had it home and shooting it only about 15 minutes later. It was still warm and bled Copiously! I could hardly get the newspapers to burn they were so drenched.

Packer.

12. bombtech

bombtech New Member

May 17, 2006
    It might have looked funny- him standing on that ladder along side the road, and people would've wondered what he was doing, but I'll bet no one would've stopped to ask!

13. jimmylozza

jimmylozza New Member

Jan 17, 2006
    That raccoon had a very bad day. :-X

14. Ender

Ender New Member

Jul 3, 2005
    Raccoons are alot easier to come by than hundreds of Alpine goats. Good one! ;D

15. jocko

jocko Guest

"bleed copiously" does that mean alot ;D ;D ;D
    is that humor,like a "french war" hero would be?????

16. Tokamak

Tokamak New Member

Apr 28, 2006
    I wonder if that test would work on a live skunk. ;D

No wait. That does not sound like a real good idea. :p

17. Beach

Beach New Member

Aug 8, 2005
    I will have to purchase some of that DPX stuff, thanks for the testing.

I was hoping to find that you tested it for stopping power on a live racoon, these things can be extreemly hard to stop. I had a run in with a coon that kept getting in my neighbors unsecured trash and dropping it on my car from the tree above. I tried moving the car, but the coon managed to dump stuff on my car anyway the next night. I had enough, so I grabbed a can of tuna and opened it 1/2 way for use as bait. I figured .38 special from a 5" barrel, loaded with speer lawman 110gr. semi-jacketed hollow point ought to put a coon down quickly. I aimed center mass, pulled the trigger and that sucker ran 20 yds and went up a tree. I could hear the blood hitting the ground heavily as it drained out of him. I shined my light up on him and was surprised to see him ripping off strips of his own hide with his teeth and stuffing it in the bullet hole with his hands. He managed to stop the bleeding pretty well, and he wouldnt come down. I didnt want him to suffer, but it wasnt safe to shoot up in the air, so I went back inside expecting to recover the body later. I never found him and have a suspicion that he survived, at least for a while. This coon was probably 30 lbs, I should have used the .45, but figured .38 would be more than enough. A .380 round might have just made him mad. ;D

18. jimmylozza

jimmylozza New Member

Jan 17, 2006
    That is the freakiest thing I've heard in a while. I wonder if that's an instinctive behavior or a learned behavior.

19. Jimbo45

Jimbo45 New Member

Apr 24, 2006
    Definitely hard core....