Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't mean to beat a dead horse or change anyone's mind about what type or brand of ammo to feed their mousegun. I just thought that those far-sighted users of Cor-Bon ammo might have missed this opinion by somebody named Chuck Taylor. I have no idea of his credentials or experience with a P3-AT.

Cor-Bon’s New DPX Ammo:
Breakthrough In Technology
Supercharges Handgun Performance

For virtually as long as modern high-performance ammunition has existed, there have been several accepted concepts governing its capabilities and limitations. Among them, the following three are preeminent:

1. Super-sonic velocity is required before bullet expansion can be expected. Therefore, the higher the velocity, the more pronounced bullet expansion will be.

2. The hotter the load, the more difficult recoil, muzzle flip, blast and flash become.

3. Lighter bullets lack mass in comparison to heavier bullets and therefore exhibit lesser, often inadequate, penetration to vital organs.

Generally speaking, all three are true, the result being a kind of Catch 22 situation in which anyone evaluating handgun ammunition is forced into accepting a lesser-of-evils compromise. Indeed, for more than forty years, tactical shooters have been faced with tough, complex and often discomforting choices as what loads, bullet weights and designs best suit their needs. Yet, in the final analysis, any choice made was a compromise, one which often meant literally betting one’s life on marginal performance.

On a seemingly endless basis, we’ve been forced to tolerate heavy recoil (often to the point where weapon controllability in the fast shooting sequences typical of tactical confrontations was less than optimum) in return to acceptable bullet penetration. As well, we’ve had no alternative but to accept consistent lack of penetration in return for both bullet expansion and tolerable weapon control. For all these years, these issues have seesawed back and forth, with no real solution ever discovered.

This is why the three concepts initially listed in this text emerged in the first place. They were logical and seemingly implacable and thus achieved the status of being absolutes, like the laws of physics themselves. Even today, almost four decades after they first emerged, most shooters still regard them as being the controlling factor of handgun performance.

The reason this occurred is primarily due to conventional frangible bullet construction and design. Ever since JSP and JHP bullets were first conceived (the first of which date back nearly a hundred years), they’ve consisted of a lead core, around which a copper jacket with an opening in the nose is swaged. Hollow points have a cavity extending down into the exposed core itself, whereas soft points do not, the lead core merely extending outward from inside the jacket.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: DPX Ammo: another positive opinion, pt 1

part 1 continued:

Though various modifications and variations on this basic theme have emerged, performance from both a penetration and expansion standpoint remained pretty much the same. So much so, in fact, that frangible bullets became known as being at best marginally effective, since whether or not they actually upset to any significant degree depended upon what degree of resistance they encountered during passage through a target.

No matter what the design looks like (and some look really wicked, to say the least!), their performance has pretty much been the same, more often than not with less than spectacular results. In fact, this is where the idea originated that bigger bullet are preferable because they don’t depend upon a frangible bullet to produce a large permanent wound channel.

Well, as one who has grappled as much with these problems as you have, I’m glad to tell you that our problems are over. Courtesy of the folks at Cor-Bon, there is now a line of commercial high-performance ammunition that utilizes a different kind of JHP bullet, one which isn’t subject to the problems of conventional designs.

Known as the DPX (Deep Penetrating Expanding) series, it utilizes a unique JHP design consisting of a solid copper bullet, with a deep hollow cavity created by six “petals” being closed upward to an open nose. Inasmuch as the DPX bullet has no fragile lead core or gilding jacket to rupture, separate or disintegrate (depending upon what they strike during passage), it retains almost 100% of its weight, expands quite well at not only super-sonic, but trans-sonic and sub-sonic velocities as well.

This means that in order to achieve both weapon controllability and the largest possible permanent wound channel, we can use a lighter-then-typical bullet without loss of penetration. And as if this momentous achievement isn’t enough, we can do it with less-powerful loadings, making weapon control even better! The result is that we can expect not only good weapon control, but decent bullet expansion from cartridges and barrel lengths with which they were previously impossible.

So, my conclusion is both obvious and definitive — Cor-Bon has a definite winner with the DPX series. They’re highly accurate, quite controllable and demonstrate little flash. Yet they produce excellent bullet expansion (and thus fine terminal ballistics on live targets) without loss of penetration to vital organs, a long sought-after and highly elusive balance to say the least.

Try ‘em. Like me, I think you’ll find them to best fulfill all your tactical shooting needs.

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
IMO, carry whatever you want.

No one will be swayed by articles

the horse is dead and turned into glue

and the whole bigger is better just don't work, speaking as someone who was shot and survived.

·
Registered
11,201 Posts
onefunzr2 said:
I don't mean to beat a dead horse or change anyone's mind about what type or brand of ammo to feed their mousegun.
Did someone say:  

But thanks for the article anyone, it's always interesting having some provacative reading.  

Please guys, no arguments here, please....

-Scott

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
Hmm... I've got my P3AT!

Now, did I load with FMJ or JHPs? ;D

·
Registered
11,201 Posts
TxCajun said:
Hmm...  I've got my P3AT!  

Now, did I load with FMJ or JHPs?   ;D
I don't know about most of you, but I wouldn't even take that shot with a Sub with DPX (even if it was .40)!!!!! It's time to run.

Even 5 shots in the Saiga 12 gauge would scare me on that one.

-Scott

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
adamsesq said:
I don't know about most of you, but I wouldn't even take that shot with a Sub with DPX (even if it was .40)!!!!!  It's time to run.

Even 5 shots in the Saiga 12 gauge would scare me on that one.

-Scott
Oh well. Anything beats smacking him with a putter.

Grizzly bears reach weights of 180–680 kilograms (400–1,500 pounds) and stand a height of 2.44 m (8 feet) tall when standing on its hind legs

In spite of their massive size, these bears can run at speeds of up to fifty-five kilometers per hour (thirty-five miles per hour).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grizzly_bear

Better run fast. :eek:

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
adamsesq said:
Just faster than the slowest guy!  I know - you shoot - I'll run.  Then we can talk about it over a diet coke later.
Well, the P3AT, regardless of ammo selection, would be great for shooting one of your golphing partners in the leg as you run. :eek:

·
Registered
8,990 Posts
nicneufeld said:
Strange as it may seem I'd be more comfortable with a large spear than a pocket pistol with one of those fellows coming at me!  Something to be said, I guess, for the old technology like that.
Not strange at all. Just how strong are those flag poles anyway?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.