Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Kel Tec Shotgun (KSG) is one of the most innovative riot guns out there with its bullpup stock design and twin magazine tubes. However, what if I told you that you could, with the acquisition of some equally innovative shells, make it twice as effective? Well keep reading.

Gun Firearm Rifle Airsoft gun Air gun

A KSG with Aguila Mini Shells by KTOG user Cultgti

The use of "Mini-shells"

On a good day, you are able to carry 6 rounds of 3-inch magnum, 12-gauge shotgun shells in each of the KSG's mag tubes. This gives the typical shooter 13 rounds at the ready if both mags are full and there is a round in the chamber. However, the twin 20-(ish)-inch long tubes can be of more use with shorter length shells. While switching to standard 2.75-inch shells only increases capacity by one shell in each tube for a 7+7+1 load, going further down in size can get even better.

Centurion/Mini-Buck

Nobile Sport Italia (NSI), based in Livorno, Italy, is one of the biggest names in shotgun shells. While European-based, they export shiploads of shells each year to the States. They have a solid market in their blue box line of law-enforcement marked buck and slugs that include a smaller-than-standard 'Minibuck' loading.

Product Water Drink

This loading, sold by J&G and others as both blue-boxed Minibuck and Orange-boxed Centurion, run about $7 per box of 10 shells. These 2.2-inch (2 23/64) shells contain a 6-pellet load of 00 buck. While this is about a third less pellets than a comparable 2.75-inch shell, the hull is also more than a half-inch shorter as well. The overall meaning of this is that you can fit 8 Minibucks into each tube of your KSG, giving you a 17-shot capacity.

Aguila Mini-shells

Mexico-based Aguila ammo has been making shells and components since 1961 and in the past couple decades have become increasingly involved in the U.S. markets, gaining a name for themselves to the extent that even the Civilian Marksmanship Program extensively stocks their loadings.

Magenta

A few years ago, they introduced their 1.75-inch Mini-Shell in loadings that included a very effective 11-pellet combination of both #4 and #1 Buckshot that still achieves an impressive 1200 fps in velocity. Shop around and you can pick these up for as little as $0.75 a round depending on how many you buy. They also sell a 7/8-ounce slug in the same size and a 5/8-ounce load of #7 birdshot for those moments that you may want to dust small critters around the homestead.

Gun Firearm Airsoft gun Trigger Air gun

While these shells are finicky in Mossbergs and Remingtons, and will not cycle at all in semi-auto guns, they seem to work just fine with the KSG as witnessed below in videos referred by the guys over at ENDO :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSDdn3cYIfc#t=146
Hank Strange, Kel Tec aficionado, doing work with a 24-shell load of Mini-Shells in his KSG

Moreover, to follow-up, we have a bonus video from shakeyshooter showing just about the same performance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxPl-uPCutE

Does anyone load Mini-Shells or Mini-Buck? What's your experience? Let us know in the comments below.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I load my KSG with the Aquilla Mini, I go 12 rounds of buckshot in one tube & one in the chamber. I load the other tube with 12 Aquilla slugs. I've shot these several times at the range & I must say they are perfect for the KSG. It turns an already formidable weapons platform into a weapon of mass destruction! The recoil from these rounds is similar to shooting a handgun caliber carbine. My KSG shoot these rounds flawlessly, they're the perfect house protection rounds. I shot the slugs from 50 yards and they were very accurate. I do have a video of me shooting these on YouTube, with Kendrick Lamar music in the back ground. http://youtu.be/F2N5JUYu2Rs

·
Super Moderator
10,101 Posts
I was going to try this but figured I'd need to modify the KSG to get it to work, or I'd have heard about this already. After all, anyone who wants a 7+7+1 12 gauge would like to have a 12+12+1 12 gauge... right? Suddenly learning the KSG likes mini shells is like learning I knew how to play the piano but had never tried. As if anyone needed another reason to buy a KSG. Perfect timing because the initial feeding frenzy is finally subsiding and the KSG is available at semi-sane prices... until these videos make the rounds. Then we won't find KSGs or mini shells!

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
I still have a few Aquila shells on hand from a couple of boxes I bought years ago. Now I just need that KSG! I entered Hank's GAW! Fingers crossed. ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Use the mini shells as loads for my pistol grip double bbl Stevens...will have to get my own KSG before I can try them in it! Have been looking for one for some time now, but very hard to find.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.