Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I convinced myself some time ago, through my own wetpack tests and those of Packer, Old Grandpa, and others, as well as Evan Marshall's gelatin tests, that the Corbon DPX .380acp HP was the "class" of defensive rounds in this "borderline" caliber. There was really nothing left to test IMHO.

Now Mike McNett of Double-Tap has just released a new JHP in .380acp caliber using the Speer Gold bullet. His ballistic data (out of a KT P3AT) shows some pretty impressive performance. From what I gather, Mike doesn't fudge his numbers. Check it out:
http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_62&products_id=233

I guess it's time to awake from my long hibernation and get busy soaking newsprint again. The search for the magic bullet continues. Stay tuned.

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
Looks promising. I look forward to your wetpack testing.

FWIW, I notice they also have a 95 gr FMJ round:
This loading makes the 380ACP really perform like it should!
There is virtually no muzzle flash.
For the times when extra penetration is needed, this is the fastest FMJ on the market for your 380.
Standard pressure loading.

Velocity: 975fps / Kel-Tec P3AT
3.5" bbl Bersa Thunder - 1085fps
Bullet: Full Metal Jacket

Muzzle Energy: 201 ft. lbs. Kel-Tec
248 ft. lbs. 3.5" bbl Bersa Thunder
http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/ca...5&osCsid=419871d18617d1edc66c3ba5f7f2e9a4

I heard a while back that doubletap would be coming out with loadings for the 380 acp. These are brand new rounds. Thanks for the heads up. 8)

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
On December 22, 2005 I wrote to Mike at Double-Tap asking if and when they might have a .380 version.

This was his answer:
".380's should be available in 2-3 months!"

Well he was a little off, but better late than never!

I'd love to see some wetpack tests with this round. Especially Oldgrandpa's simulated bone and wetpack test with 3/4" plywood used as simulated bone.

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
Nope, I can't merge threads with this software.  That's why I posted a link here from the other thread, to keep this all in one place.

I can quote the other posts and paste them here:

Dan334 said:
For those who havn't seen it, Mike McNett at Doubletap now has the long-promished .380 loads available. One is a .90 grainer loaded with the Speer GDHP and the other, the fastest 95 grain FMJ on the market. Both loaded with flash suppressed powders and are standard pressure:

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/index.php?cPath=21_62

I've shot some of Mike's other stuff and found his specs to be "spot on"...looking forward to trying some of his new .380's...competition is a very good thing

erikd65 said:
Wow, the specs on the 90gr Gold Dots looks good!

·
Registered
18 Posts
TxCajun said:
Nope, I can't merge threads with this software.  That's why I posted a link here from the other thread, to keep this all in one place.

I can quote the other posts and paste them here:
Sorry about the dual posts...I'm gonna' claim we were typing at the same time.

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
No problem. You probably were typing at the same time. It's uncanny that those two posts on this one fairly obscure topic came out together. Anyway, I'm a little excited by Double Tap's entry into the 380 market at half the price of Corbon DPX.

As my old football coach Malon Dobson was fond of saying,
"son, competition is the spice of life". 8)

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Anyone have any on order yet?

I have no experience with Double Tap (but I hear good things) so I'm a bit leery still of jumping right in, head first. I'd love to see a range report, as soon as anyone gets some!

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
There are NO +P loads in 380 acp which is already a fairly high-pressure round.

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
steelydan said:
first off, NEW 380 owner here...

Can these handle the hotter +p loads and such?
First off, welcome! Great screenname, I am a devotee of the Dan.

Secondly, there is no SAAMI specification for +P in .380 ACP, as I recall. +P in .380 is just an invention or marketing gimmick of a few ammunition manufacturers to insinuate a hotter load or higher velocity. There is no standard ".380 +P" so one can't really say whether or not any gun can handle it, since there is no defined limit on what pressure could be loaded.

There are some loads that are definitely not recommended for these guns, in particular, the MagSafe rounds. But by the same token, the smoking fast CorBon DPX round, much beloved around here, was developed around the P3-AT I have heard, and is fine for running through these guns.

·
Registered
18 Posts
TxCajun said:
There are NO +P loads in 380 acp which is already a fairly high-pressure round.
True, SAAMI has no established +P pressure level established for the .380 ACP which is actually, a fairly moderate pressure round. The .380 is rated at only 21,500 PSI compared to the little .25 Auto at 25,000 and the 9MM at 35,000.

http://www.handloads.com/misc/saami.htm

As all this pertains to the new DT loads, I can't vouch for the accuracy of the information but its been mentioned a number of times that Mike McNett achieves his higher velocity loads through use of custom blended powders. The end result being, retention of the established pressure level (be it standard or in some cases, +P) *but* maintaining the peak pressure over a longer burn period creating the higher velocities at a given peak pressure. Accurate or not, I do think the premise seems valid.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
nicneufeld said:
Anyone have any on order yet?

I have no experience with Double Tap (but I hear good things) so I'm a bit leery still of jumping right in, head first. I'd love to see a range report, as soon as anyone gets some!
Yep. Just ordered some. Will be doing a wetpack test soon, comparing the Double-Tap round's penetration/expansion against a couple other hollowpoints. E-mailed Mike McNett at DT to ask him if they've done any gelatin testing on this new round. Anxious for a reply. More later.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Thanks DT

This should be interesting since is moving around 100 FPS faster than the Speer GD load.

Order up wheelguy, we need a humidity test on this one ;D

I'm not willing to give up my Federal HS easily but, this load sounds like it may have a chance.

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
DT_Willy said:
Yep. Just ordered some. Will be doing a wetpack test soon, comparing the Double-Tap round's penetration/expansion against a couple other hollowpoints.
In that CorBon DPX is revered as the bee's knees around here, I would vote for that to be one of the rounds it is compared to! I would say Rem Golden Saber because I use that, but it isn't as common as the CorBon! Thanks for being the guinea pig!

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Rubb said:
Thanks DT
Order up wheelguy, we need a humidity test on this one ;D
Yep, I'm getting some also, although their velocity numbers are only 50 higher than my Speer was out of my P3AT. Perhaps when I use the same equipment/technique, etc I will see something closer to 100 FPS higher. For great muzzle energy, DoubleTap is second only to BuffalBore in several chamberings. BB won't be looking to make a .380, however - too toylike for those guys.

Here's the terminal energy chart I did a while back. The far right column is the important one - FT-LB energy. Notice that PowrBall is the highest - it sure feels like it too - very close to the feel of a 9mm. Too bad their bullet is crummy...

Very doubtful DT will make their ammo moisture resistant, since only Federal HydraShok seems to think that this is a good thing. DoubleTap could have been the one to put together all the best features into one great round - bonded bullet, moisture proof, high velocity - I guess 1.5 out of 3 aint bad, but I am still sealing mine by hand and waiting for someone to put a PowrBall load inside :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.