Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally was able to do a wetpack test on the newly-released Double-Tap .380acp HP round, which uses the 90g. Gold Dot bullet. After reading the manufacturer's impressive ballistics (pushing the proven Gold Dot out of a P3AT well over 1000 fps), I was expecting greatness

According to my usual protocol, I used a wetpack of super-saturated newsprint, bundled, and soaked overnight. I shot from a distance of about 2 yards, consistent with my other .380acp tests. I used the standard Speer Gold dot round to compare with, since I've tested that round before. I shot 3 rounds of the Speer, and four rounds of the DT, testing for penetration and expansion (measured at the widest point). As is the case in every GD bullet I've shot, all bullets expanded competely, uniformly, with no missing or assymetrical petals. Here are the results, with expected penetration in bare ballistic, following the formula that wetpack penetration is approximately 2/3 of gelatin:

l. SPEER GOLD DOT HP

A. Penetration: ave. 5.0 inches (4.75, 5.0, 5.5)--this is consistent with prior wetpack tests I've done with this bullet which has seen penetration in wetpack of 5.0-5.5 inches.

B. Expansion: ave. .50 in.(.490, .492, .530)

2. DOUBLE-TAP GDHP

A. Penetration: ave. 5.12 in. (5.25, 5.0, 5.0, 5.25)

B. Expansion: ave. .50 in. (,530, .480, .490, .490)

The felt recoil of the DT ammo is quite stout, reminding me of the old Santa Barbara surplus stuff. With that in mind, I was frankly expecting greater penetration results. In effect, the Speer and DT ammos perform virtually identically. Price-wise, the DT is a bargain compared to the Speer: the former is about $24 for a box of 50; the later is $13-15 for a box of 20.

EXPECTED PENETRATION BALLISTIC GELATIN: Approx. 7.5".

In conclusion, I expected more from the DT, although if you like the Gold Dot round, it's a more cost-effective way to go. On the other hand, the Corbon DPX still reigns supreme in the .380acp hollowpoints, with penetration numbers of 6.25-6.50 " inches in wetpack (up to 10" in gelatin), and expansion of .625".
The price of over $1/round is hard to swallow, but the performance is unmatched at this point. Best, DT Willy

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
Thanks DT for the work and for letting us know the outcome. If it is a little disappointning, the DT is certainly a contender and in the top few rounds performance wise. The relatively low cost is a plus. I guess DPX is going to be hard to beat.

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
Thanks for the tests DT_Willy!

Was hoping the new round would be the "magic bullet". Didn't really expect it, but hope reigns eternal. ;)

Bobo

·
Registered
210 Posts
Thanks Willy--
I've mostly use Speer GD since I got the P3 last year .... good info.

One question.  I vaguely recall reading that a load will penetrate about 2x in gelatin compared to wetpack ... admit I may be wrong and misinformed.  

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
riverkeeper, the formula that's commonly used by wet-pack testers, including Stephen Camp, whose "protocol" I've always used, is that penetration in wetpack is approximately 2/3 of what could be expected in bare ballistic gelatin. (Interestingly, penetration in denim-covered gelatin, which the FBI uses in testing, will usually result in somewhat deeper bullet penetration, as the clogged hollowpoint acts like a FMJ bullet. Packer's many excellent wetpack tests here at KTOG will bear this out, I believe).

·
Banned
4,317 Posts
Yeah! It's "interesting" awright.
Trouble is he's selling it for $169 and I have no way of knowing whether that would be money well spent or a total waste of $$$ or something in between. That sounds like an awful lot of money to me for a 90 min. DVD and a 212 page report. Maybe if he gave us a "sample" chapter or 5 min. video clip I'd be more impressed.

G

·
I've seen it. Training that would be informative for criminal investigators, EMTs and MDs. The guy worked in Chicago hospitals.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Packer. Good to hear from you again. Been doing any more wetpack testing lately? There doesn't seem to be much left of interest to me in .380acp HP. The only thing that looks remotely interesting is a new Fiocchi 90g. HP, which uses the Hornady XTP bullet. Hmm.....

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Echoing previous sentiments, thanks for the test....

I too was hoping there was better alternative to DPX, but it now appears there isn't.

I broke down yesterday and purchased a box of 20 for a total of $ 28.34! :eek:

While I don't begrudge paying that much for strictly carry rounds, I'll be darned if I'll sell a house, car, and dog to pay for enough to establish reliability. :-?

Maybe FMJ is not such an undesirable alternative. Either that or just go to a larger caliber and forget about .380 altogether. :-/

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I feel your pain, Hutch. Occassionally you can find the DPX at less than $20/box. As a matter of fact, Midway is having a big sale through tomorrow, and if you've ordered from them before, you can get it for around $18. The store at stoppingpower.net has them at a great price, although they are currently backordered. Still pretty pricey, but certainly better than the price you had to pay. I really believe that the DPX really outperforms any other .380acp rounds I've seen or tested. When you get to the larger calibers, I think there are many other options that work just fine at a price that's not so inflated. But with a borderline caliber like .380acp, it's worth it to go with the DPX.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
DT_Willy said:
But with a borderline caliber like .380acp, it's worth it to go with the DPX.
I agree. That's why I bought a box to start checking reliability. Funny thing is even at that price there was only one box. The proprietor said he might have more by next week (Friday), but I'd better be there because he's selling them as fast as he's able to get a supply.

He indicated that there's a better supply than a few months ago, but it's still difficult to get a large enough amount to meet the demand.

Yes, I have ordered from Midway previously, so that's probably the best bet. Thanks for that tip.

·
Registered
11,201 Posts
When I wanted to buya fair number of boxes and calibers of dpx I shopped around a lot and found ammunitiontogo.com to be the best over-all value. I seemed to remember that if I was only buy one caliber I might save a few dollars somewhere else but a2g had everything and was reasonably priced.

-Scott

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.