Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

81 - 100 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
I got the sight and plate mounted and got to fire one mag through it of Federal 37 grn bulk and it worked fine. Tried some CCI tactical and it failed to extract. I hadn't tried the CCI tactical before so don't know if problem is with the red. Finished the mag of CCI in my other P17 and it functioned fine. This rds setup is so much better than the bridge mount I had tried. Having the rds near the top of the slide is much easier to pickup.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I'll have to try some different ammo in mine. When I did my testing it was all with Federal bulk ammo. I have a little Winchester bulk 36 grain and some CCI mini-mags I'll have to try out soon.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Kinda wonder if the powder burns a bit differently in the tactical rounds since it's made specifically for AR type rifles. Like the CCI A22 22mag rounds that are made specifically for The Savage A22. Those apparently use a special progressive burning powder that causes less of a pressure spike than the normal powder.

·
Registered
18 Posts
This is on the way. I’ll post after I get it mounted and try it

RTL
Mounted up functions fine with CCI SV. Haven’t tried anything else yet. Runs great suppressed.
I like the little Crimson Trace RDS. The adapter plate fits perfectly, looks great.
Just FYI both screws on my P17 were really in there, couldn’t get them out without several days soak in KROIL and heat.
RTL
CDF2AD99-FF2F-4BE9-87DC-FFD9AC4BE141.png

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have no experience with these micro reddots on pistols...but assume from the picture above that the factory sights are not usable...in the event that the reddot dies/stops working or whatever, is there any way to detach it quickly or do you have to use a screwdriver/allen wrench?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have no experience with these micro reddots on pistols...but assume from the picture above that the factory sights are not usable...in the event that the reddot dies/stops working or whatever, is there any way to detach it quickly or do you have to use a screwdriver/allen wrench?
You have to use an Allen wrench. This is a suppressor host and plinking toy for me, not an EDC.
that said my 70 year old eyes have gotten to where I really like using the dots and this little pistol is accurate for me again.
RTL

·
Registered
76 Posts
Your point is one of the two reasons that I went the direction I did instead of mounting the red dot on the slide. I can still use the iron sights if need be.

The second reason is that I don't trust that the extra weight of the sight on the slide will necessarily work 100% of the time with a .22 blowback gun. YMMV.

The downside of my setup is that the sight is quite a bit above the plane of the bore, so sighting it in was an adventure.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I found that having the rds mounted that high over the top of the gun did not make for natural pointing. The slide mount points naturally for me.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I found that having the rds mounted that high over the top of the gun did not make for natural pointing. The slide mount points naturally for me.
Understood. I'm used to decades of shooting revolvers and pistols with red dots mounted higher. Once you're used to it, it comes naturally. But I get what you're saying.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I got out and tried some different ammo.
CCI sv 40 gr, Blazer 40 gr, Browning 46 gr bulk, Rem. Thunder Bolt 40 gr all worked fine. With CCI Mini Mag 40 gr had one failure to eject. Not an extensive test, only one mag of each.

I am happy with the results.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Glad to hear you are liking it. I've only put about 500 rounds through mine so far and I've yet to run into any issues. Haven't had any complaints so far. There's only about 12 of them out there at this point. Another advantage to the setup is it seems that the closer the dot is mounted to the bore the less the elevation will be off at varying ranges.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Glad to hear you are liking it. I've only put about 500 rounds through mine so far and I've yet to run into any issues. Haven't had any complaints so far. There's only about 12 of them out there at this point. Another advantage to the setup is it seems that the closer the dot is mounted to the bore the less the elevation will be off at varying ranges.
Greg
i ran 50 CCI SV and a couple hundred Armscor HS 36gr HP through it tonight unsuppressed. No issues at all.
thanks again for the work on this mount. You’ve got a winner with this one.
RTL

·
Registered
25 Posts
Your point is one of the two reasons that I went the direction I did instead of mounting the red dot on the slide. I can still use the iron sights if need be.

The second reason is that I don't trust that the extra weight of the sight on the slide will necessarily work 100% of the time with a .22 blowback gun. YMMV.

The downside of my setup is that the sight is quite a bit above the plane of the bore, so sighting it in was an adventure.
That setup would be a lot of fun for a steel challenge.

My main issue at this point is I carry my P17 and this setup would be an issue with a holster. Guess I should just get a second P17...one for carry and one for fun!

·
Registered
76 Posts
That setup would be a lot of fun for a steel challenge.

My main issue at this point is I carry my P17 and this setup would be an issue with a holster. Guess I should just get a second P17...one for carry and one for fun!
Yep, I set it up this way for Steel Challenge. It wouldn't be good for a carry situation.

·
Registered
69 Posts
It would seem that mounting the optic on a fixed position would be better for accuracy/reliability since it doesn't move with the slide and is always in same position. However, a previous post mentions it's higher above the bore which can make issues as target distances change.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm interested in these mounting plates.
Prefer a green reticle if anyone has experience with one on a P17.
Also looking for an IWB right hand kydex holster.

81 - 100 of 111 Posts