Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
This was my answer. Worked great except for having to make a mod to the mount where it touches the trigger guard. Would not go back far enough to allow the mounting screw to go in. A bit of file work fixed the problem. Had to make a special holster but works great and I still have the factory sights. View attachment 54264
I've looked at these as well, but could tell the mounting section was too large for the gun's rail. You were able to cut down the mount so it would fit ok on the gun's rail? That's great to know. I'll need to get one of these.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've looked at these as well but could tell the mounting section was too large for the gun's rail. You were able to cut down the mount so it would fit ok on the gun's rail? That's great to know. I'll need to get one of these.
Yes, it is possible and worked great. Sits a bit high but adjusted for 50 feet.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I finally got a chance to do the surgery necessary to attach the mount to the P-17. I chose the FAB Defense USM mount because it came closest to fitting on the gun's Pic rail.

The mount's rail attachment point is longer than the gun's Pic rail, and I determined that I needed to knock .3" from the back of the mount's attachment point in order for the mount to go back far enough to allow the mount's attachment screw to line up with the first slot in the gun's Pic rail. Using my Dremel with a heavy duty cutting wheel, I was able to get the material removed from the mount.

When I put the mount on the gun, it turned out that there was about 1/32" of the first slot on the Pic rail creeping into the mount attachment screw hole. I was going to try to eliminate that 1/32" from the mount's rail attachment point, but I didn't have the right Dremel attachment. In the end, it was much easier to widen the slot of the Pic rail by the amount needed to let the mount attachment screw go through the slot.

Photos below show the work done and the final product. I mounted the ADE Advanced Optics reflex red dot (6 MOA) farther back on the mount, so the balance of the gun is unaffected. I intend to use the P-17 for Rimfire Steel Challenge, so this should be a good setup. Now I just need to get to the range to sight things in.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I was wondering if a plate could be cut that fits where the front sights sit to mount a RDS. If you got something light enough it should cycle (especially with higher velocity rounds). I mean - they got a RDS working on the Taurus TX22...

·
Registered
141 Posts
I think I might finally have a P-17 by the end of the week. I'll let you guys know soon If it will cycle with a Romeo Zero mounted on the slide.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Got my p17. Have the mount programmed. Should have the mounting screws and necessary tooling this week. Just hope it works. I'll let you guys know really soon. Romeo zeros have come down in price too. You can get one for around $150 now.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Just put two mags through it before heading off to work today. One slow one fast. Functioned flawlessly. Still want to shoot a bunch more just to see if there are malfunctions once it starts getting dirty. I'll also see if it cycles properly with a Swampfox Sentinel. It's about .2 ozs heavier.

·
Premium Member
4,737 Posts
Just put two mags through it before heading off to work today. One slow one fast. Functioned flawlessly. Still want to shoot a bunch more just to see if there are malfunctions once it starts getting dirty. I'll also see if it cycles properly with a Swampfox Sentinel. It's about .2 ozs heavier.
It's a .22LR. Of course it will malfunction when it's dirty. You want a .22LR which doesn't malfunction when dirty? Buy a single-shot bolt action rifle. :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Registered
141 Posts
It's a .22LR. Of course it will malfunction when it's dirty. You want a .22LR which doesn't malfunction when dirty? Buy a single-shot bolt action rifle. :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
I just mean somewhat dirty. Don't want people to have to clean it every 5 or 6 mags just to keep it cycling. That's why I don't offer Holosun c series mounts for the pmr-30 anymore unless someone asks for one. I'll probably run a box of bulk ammo through it to see if it gets all the way through without any malfunctions.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts