Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,737 Posts
You miss the reference to the old V8 commercial. I guess I am to old. We all have different tastes. No offense meant.
I coulda had a V8!

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Registered
147 Posts
You may be able to rigg something up. There are all kinds of Picatinny rail adapters. The sight may wind up on side of slide and you would have to shoot gang banger style? It would look awful. But if you look hard enough I think there is an adapter that mounts on rail and winds up on top without touching the slide.

·
Registered
141 Posts
If I'm ever able to get my hands on a p17 I'll get a mount made for it. I still haven't seen one at any of my local gun stores.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Was just looking at the weight of micro red dot sights & most are around 1 oz.
If you remove the existing sight from the P17 and tap the slide for a direct mount of a micro dot you would probably only be adding .5 oz to the total weight of the slide. I dont know what that would do to the P17. Probably only limit your ammo choice.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Was just looking at the weight of micro red dot sights & most are around 1 oz.
If you remove the existing sight from the P17 and tap the slide for a direct mount of a micro dot you would probably only be adding .5 oz to the total weight of the slide. I dont know what that would do to the P17. Probably only limit your ammo choice.
Just quoting Kel-Tec

·
Registered
56 Posts
My LGS called and they think they have a P17 coming in for me today. I'm keeping a good thought.

I'm thinking a red dot as well, due to ageing eyes. What about a 90-degree offset Pic rail that hangs from the Pic rail at the bottom of the P17, like this one? Then mount a lightweight dot to the offset rail. Not having handled the P17, I don't know if there's a reason this wouldn't work. Anyone tried this?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm looking hard at the mount from UM Tactical. I have an inquiry in to them to see how long the mounting point is to see if it's too long to attach to the Pic rail on the bottom of the P17 frame. Check out the mount here.

They're pricey, but less expensive via Amazon.

·
Registered
147 Posts
That is what I was trying to describe a few posts back, looks good I would buy, I may rig one of my P17's as a race gun.

·
Registered
56 Posts
That is what I was trying to describe a few posts back, looks good I would buy, I may rig one of my P17's as a race gun.
The P17 would make a good .22 Steel Challenge gun with the dot on it. I prefer the dot due to the ageing eyes.

·
Registered
62 Posts
So I ordered a red dot mount and it is a snug fit so hopefully won't move. It's kind of higher than I would like, but I will see how it works when I get out to the range again. Here are some pictures.

Update, I thought the fit of the mount would be tight enough to keep it locked on the gun since the latch on the mount won't catch on the rail, but no such luck. Had the mount and rds come off while shooting it. The rail is not long enough. IMG_20201117_191432.jpg IMG_20201117_191451.jpg IMG_20201117_200304.jpg

·
Registered
56 Posts
So I ordered a red dot mount and it is a snug fit so hopefully won't move. It's kind of higher than I would like, but I will see how it works when I get out to the range again. Here are some pictures. View attachment 54194 View attachment 54195 View attachment 54196
Boy, was your post timely. I have one of those sitting on my bench right now to try to fit it to my P-17! Did it attach to the rail on the gun ok? I was concerned that the Pic rail on the gun might be a little too wide.

From all the videos I've seen, the mount is loose until you put the sight on it, at which point it snugs down.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Boy, was your post timely. I have one of those sitting on my bench right now to try to fit it to my P-17! Did it attach to the rail on the gun ok? I was concerned that the Pic rail on the gun might be a little too wide.

From all the videos I've seen, the mount is loose until you put the sight on it, at which point it snugs down.
The rail was very snug. Had to push hard to get it on. The latch on the rail doesn't catch on a lug, but seems secure. Once the red dot sight is mounted the rail is locked on good. I couldn't remove the rail without removing the sight. Still haven't gotten out to try it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The rail was very snug. Had to push hard to get it on. The latch on the rail doesn't catch on a lug, but seems secure. Once the red dot sight is mounted the rail is locked on good. I couldn't remove the rail without removing the sight. Still haven't gotten out to try it.
Thanks for the info. I was concerned that the mount might over-squeeze the two piece frame. I could do some surgery on the gun's rail to narrow it I guess. I would want the mount to latch into the rail because UM makes a one-size-fits-most holster that locks on to the mount. That would be ideal for using the P-17 in competition.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This was my answer. Worked great except for having to make a mod to the mount where it touches the trigger guard. Would not go back far enough to allow the mounting screw to go in. A bit of file work fixed the problem. Had to make a special holster but works great and I still have the factory sights.
20201124_205016.jpg

21 - 40 of 54 Posts