Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Does anyone know of a dot sight mount for the P17?
It's so new that I'd be surprised if there was one available yet. I mean they are just now getting into the hands of consumers.

Looking at mine it looks like the slide bar is substantial enough that I think an optic would work on it. Doesn't seem like it'd be too hard to drill and tap it to mount a rail or perhaps use the front sight holes at one end.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The polymer cocking piece on the rear of the slide (Keltec calls it the slide cover in the manual) is easily removed. It only serves to finish off the slide, give cocking serrations and to house the rear sight. It would be easy enough, I think, to design and 3d print a new slide cover to replace the old one that has mounting for a red dot. It may be too heavy though to cycle properly.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I just read in a early review that the rear sight plate is removable and the space is intended as an optics base. However, there is nothing in the owner's manual about this so I'm guessing the writer just assumed that's what that plate was for.

Shown in the photo below with the two screws holding the rear sight plate on.

The underside of the slide showing the front sight screw holes

·
Registered
138 Posts
If you send me the slide I'll make a plate for it. Who knows how much weight it can handle though. Might have to mount something like a Sig ZERO on it to have it cycle properly. Once they become available locally I'll pick one up.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The slide cover has 2 screws entering from the top. They secure the bolt & firing pin, I think. Just suppose those screws were removed and replaced with 2 screws the length of which was increased by the thickness of a new dot mount. Because the P17 does not generate much recoil, I would be satisfied with an inexpensive dot sight. What is everybody's thoughts on the ADE Advanced Optics RD-3 type? What do the experts think?

·
Registered
996 Posts
I would worry about adding to slide weight and proper function.

Heck this sunday I will take my holosun 407c. And tape it to the slide and see if it will work.

After you take the plastic rear sight portion off then there are two pins to hold bolt in place.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I've managed to get the Holosun to work perfectly on a PMR. It's the heaviest one out of all the red dot sights I have. If it can cycle with that it will cycle with anything. Be careful with the tape thing, sounds kinda scary.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had some thoughts about this. Don't think the slide will operate proerly with much weight on it. Looks like something will have to be mounted on the frame below the slide to work as a side mounted optic. The forward 1 7/8 inch is unsupported vinyl too thin and flexible to screw into. the next 1 3/4 inch is backed up by a steel barrel houseing and trunnon that might be able to be tapped to hold a side mounted optic. might be worth looking into. Of course, just about anything we do will probably void the warranty. Maybe gluing a short picatinny rail to the frame sdie is the answer. Hmmm, I've got some super glue and a 4 slot pic rail. I'm signining off and heading to my workbench.

·
Registered
996 Posts
If you want a rail and red dot mount you should go with the cp33
I think after altering this gun to attain those features the person would look at it and doooooh! I should have had a cp33. Lol!!!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
If you want a rail and red dot mount you should go with the cp33
I think after altering this gun to attain those features the person would look at it and doooooh! I should have had a cp33. Lol!!!!
Two completely different guns and the CP33 is double the price. I can buy a P17 and an optic for less than just a CP33, not even comparable. Also, the P17 is half the size.
With your train of thought, why upgrade any gun just buy one that is already done from the factory. So just buy what everyone else can buy....sounds pretty boring to me!

·
Registered
996 Posts
You miss the reference to the old V8 commercial. I guess I am to old. We all have different tastes. No offense meant.

·
Registered
138 Posts
If I get my hands on a P17 locally I'll try and mount the Sig zero I have on order on it just for fun. The whole setup should be around .6 ounces. If It can't cycle with that on the slide then nothing will.

·
Registered
35 Posts
If I get my hands on a P17 locally I'll try and mount the Sig zero I have on order on it just for fun. The whole setup should be around .6 ounces. If It can't cycle with that on the slide then nothing will.
That's exactly the optic I was thinking about. I believe we have one at our shop, might have to try it out.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts