Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought 5 tapco mags thinking "any" AR mags work.. well, they don't. They caused a round to get hung up on the barrel extension. FTF's, FTE's out the ass. I thought it was a problem with the gun. I sent it into kel tec and had it back in about 5 or 6 weeks. They say it was the mags (i sent the mags with it). they polished the underside of the bolt, shot with some pmags, and now they say it's up and running.

I bought a pmag after I received my gun, and chamber through a few rounds with the slide. Problem seems to be gone now. The real test comes later though.

·
Registered
152 Posts
My AR builder/dealer told me the mag to buy on day 1.
Load em up just 25 deep or so and he'd guarantee them to work 10 years under pressure stored in that condition.
I used to buy them direct from CMMG, but they no longer sell them from the factory in Missouri. CTD has them for 15.59 .
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/2MGCMMGSSAT30-1.html

They have a ceramic coated stranded multi wire steel spring, with a stainless steel follower.
Knock on wood, I have never had a problem out of these with the AR or SU-16.

Attachments

·
Registered
244 Posts
KT says P-Mags and OEM mags do a better job of centering the rounds when they feed them some others. My C-products seam to work fine in mine in addition to the OEM and C-products ones I have.

ps. ceramic coated multi-wire springs and stainless follower are two not things I'd want in a magazine. The plastics used in followers slide on metal better than stainless steel would. If they coated the springs, they made them out of metal that will rust when the coating chips, and two wires means they will rust through even quicker than a single wire.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I'm sure your new pmag will work just fine. The CMMG mag was first introduced as the imortal mag. Tested 400 hours in salt water sea spray and has 40% more spring tension than a mil spec mag. Compared to the mags of the 1960's era most of the popular mags sold today will serve you well.
Thanks for the heads up on the tapco compatibility with the SU-16. That will save many new owners the grief of using a mag that won't work with their design.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Im sure everyone's mileage will vary, but I ordered 5, BROWNELLS, 30 rounders....NO FTE'S, OR FTF'S IN 500 RNDS!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Tried to use the Kel-Tec mag in the AR today.Got stuck big time. Don't even think about it.
Metal is the only way to go_Or a 20 round mag.
Was sighting in a Burris scope upon range arrival. 30 rounder would make the angle adjustment a bit harder. Bingo! Kel Tec 10 rounder. Wasn't long enough to load the first round. Oh I tried to make it work. The plastic bottom was flush with the AR. Still no go.
Immediate questions about the gun or mag. Got the mag out by quick 2 pin of the AR. Got back together and loaded a CMMG mag. Everything back to normal.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
FWIW, I just ran 20 rd each through 2 new 20-rd C-Product mags w/no problems.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts