Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:eek: After eight months of flawless performance my trusty P3AT died. I went to the range to practice and shot my 9mm guns and then pulled the P3AT from the pocket holster where it resides daily. When I went to change the magazine I found the hammer spring broken. I was surprised. This gun had been perfect from day one. Probably had 12-16 trips to the range. Not sure how many rounds probably 500 - 800. Called Kel Tec and a new spring is on the way. Just don't know exactly how I feel about this. No way to know why it broke, but I sure am glad I wasn't pulling it out for self defense. Makes 2PP sound better and better.

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
Not a confidence builder huh? If it's any consolation, this doesn't happen very often so hopefully you will be spared another occurrence. KT seems to use high quality springs. Where did it break?

·
Premium Member
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:-?No signs of any problems. Just one of those things. I don't think there is anything that could have been done to stop it.
One week earlier this P3AT was perfect at the range. When cleaning there was no sign of any problems.
I am sure it will be perfect again. :D
I am tossing around the idea of replacing the springs every 6 months or so. :)
I rely on my P3AT and/or a PF9 for constant carry protection. :cool:

·
Registered
449 Posts
raybsc said:
I am tossing around the idea of replacing the springs every 6 months or so. :)
That probably won't help. New springs break too. If it was a material defect, as I suspect, the new spring may be more likely to fail than a used proven one. Now worn out springs, that's a different story. Given the frequency of failure of hammer springs altogether, I'm inclined to stick with an old working one. Your gun, your call. :-/

·
Registered
589 Posts
Exact same thing happened to me a few months ago. Was perfect thru 2000+rounds. Removed from pocket after firing other guns. Just wanted to empty the carry mag and refresh it. 1 shot and it was dead. I think it's more the bending of the loop than the manufacture of the spring itself. Does make ya think though doesn't it?

·
Banned
4,317 Posts
I guess that's the one disadvantage with using an expansion spring to power the hammer instead of a compression spring like everyone else does. When compression springs break the gun usually goes right on working. In fact the shooter usually doesn't realize it until he or she detail strips the piece and fijnds it.

·
Registered
14,984 Posts
fwiw, that is how mine broke. went to use it, and that is what I found. Brewster6514 was with me when it happened, and zeke sent me a spring....since KT was closed for the break.

so it is not a confidence builder, but goes to show that there always needs to be more than 1 plan.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Just for the record, my wife's hard chrome failed similarly, but at the range after 3 or 4 uneventful magazines.  Since she does NOT carry it, I was not alarmed when I noticed the last bit of the loop at the hammer pin end was missing and requested a replacement from KT several weeks earlier.

When it finally broke just below the coils, it was a non-event. :)

TucsonMTB . . . who finds the new forum unfriendly to mobile devices like my iPAQ :(

·
Premium Member
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well after surgery my P3AT is back to normal. ;D ;D
One US Post Office delivery from KEL TEC to my mailbox.
Major surgery, i.e. new hammer spring assembly.
Tested at range today, about 45 rounds with one failure to eject for which I probably am to blame.
Back in it's normal position in pocket holster. ::)
Confidence will return with time, of course a closer daily inspection will probably be in order.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.