DON'T FORGET IT!

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by kt4me, Jul 19, 2009.

1. kt4me

kt4me New Member

Feb 9, 2006
    67 year old man with P-3AT arrested at Orlando International airport
    http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/orl-bk-loaded-gun-oia-071709,0,07157386.story

Although we do not have any information on whether this guy meant to try to take his P-3AT through security or simpy FORGOT he had it.  

I understand such a move would be pure stupidity but I can tell you I have nearly walked into "secure" areas with my P-3AT in pocket carry on more than one occasion because I jumped out of the car and simply did not immediately remember that it was there.

You don't forget a 1911 sticking you in the ribs but a P-3AT in the pocket, yeah that's just part of life!  

So new gun safety Rule Number 1:  YOU HAVE A GUN!

2. GoldenLoki

GoldenLoki New Member

Dec 6, 2008
    The time for a man to think about carrying a firearm is... when he plans to get on a plane ;)

GL

3. haugrdr

haugrdr Super Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    It wasn't even on him...it was in his baggage.

4. Bert

Bert Banned

Mar 4, 2007
    This is a bit difficult to understand...

I travel extensively, and forget *nothing* in my bags, whether checked or carry-on.

It is easy enough to legally take a firearm on travel, there is not much of an excuse for failing to check or ask about the rules at the counter (where you can put the arm back in the car if needed).

Too bad he has to learn the hard way at an "experienced" age.

B.

5. Apiarian

Apiarian New Member

Jan 19, 2005
    It did not say if it was in the carry-on or checked bag. I would assume this would make a big difference when he goes to court.
    Back in the 80s I put a handgun in my carry-on by mistake. :-[ I thought I put it in the bag to be checked. In the end they let me go and even get on the plane but I had to leave the gun with the friend that dropped me off. I was VERY lucky the police were GI friendly. No such luck in post 911 USA.

6. PshootR

PshootR Banned

Apr 1, 2005
    I hurriedly changed clothes once before leaving to go to the airport for a flight and failed to notice the loaded spare PF-9 mag in the left front pocket of the jeans I had just put on. Noticed it at the airport before going thru security fortunately. Since unloaded mags aren't a prohibited item I went to the men's room, unloaded the mag in a stall and wrapped the seven rounds of 9mm in a couple of paper towels and flushed them. Then I placed the unloaded mag in the bottom of my computer bag and no one was the wiser, except for me. I learned something from my mistake. And I had been in the custom of patting myself down before going to the airport for years, in my rush I guess I just forgot that once. Mag came back home to Florida the same way, too.

I have sometimes wondered if a completely broken down Kel-Tec pistol could be carried through security or as checked baggage but not declared. Never tried it though.

My thinking is that the only "gun" looking part is the polymer grip, which is non-magnetic once any metal parts have been removed, and could be hidden on one's person. The Slide, barrel and receiver are not "gun" looking on an x-ray screen and could be separated and hidden among other similar metallic items in a carry-on or probably better yet checked bag or bags. They might even be hidden inside of other items. And as noted earlier, empty mags are not a prohibited item.

That would still leave the ammo, which you'd have to obtain locally on arrival I should think.

Not a suggestion, just my musings based on the materials and construction of Kel-Tecs.

Note, while checking a handgun is not a problem in a free State, it can land you in jail in a totalitarian one like New Jersey. In other words, flying into the Garbage State would be no problem, but declaring your Kel-Tec when you tried to fly out  would get you in trouble big time.

7. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    I'm heading to Orlando next Summer. I would love to take one of my handguns on the flight. I haven't contacted any of the airlines yet. Has any KTOGers flown with a handgun and how do you do it? What kind of extra cost am I looking at incurring? FL recognizes my MO CCW so that part ain't a problem.

8. PshootR

PshootR Banned

Apr 1, 2005
  9. prototype7

prototype7 New Member

Jun 30, 2009
    I hope you can find a way to bring your pistol with you, just remember... even though FL reciprocates your permit, our laws may be different than yours. Be sure to read up on them first.

10. StanSimmons

StanSimmons New Member

Jul 8, 2009
    You could ship it to yourself c/o your hotel. Just don't ship the ammo in the same package, and don't use USPS.

11. wizard92

wizard92 Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Florida

David,
    Contact your airline for their specific requirements, some are different. During check in you must declare the firearm with the airline, paperwork to be filled out. You must certify that the firearm is unloaded. As far as transporting, the firearm must be in a locked hardside gun case. As you are talking about a handgun, your locked pistol case inside your checked luggage will be fine. You can also use a locked hardside suitcase to satisfy the requirements. For long guns a locked hardside rifle case. The case must be locked in a way to prevent easy access to the firearm.
    The best way to take your ammo is in the original manufacture's box. There are other ways but this is best. If you have any specific questions I might be able to answer send me a PM.
    Oh by the way, Disney and Mickey are definately NOT gun friendly.

Gary

12. haugrdr

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach

David,
    Contact your airline for their specific requirements, some are different. During check in you must declare the firearm with the airline, paperwork to be filled out. You must certify that the firearm is unloaded. As far as transporting, the firearm must be in a locked hardside gun case. As you are talking about a handgun, your locked pistol case inside your checked luggage will be fine. You can also use a locked hardside suitcase to satisfy the requirements. For long guns a locked hardside rifle case. The case must be locked in a way to prevent easy access to the firearm.
    The best way to take your ammo is in the original manufacture's box. There are other ways but this is best. If you have any specific questions I might be able to answer send me a PM.

Gary[/quote]

+1

No extra cost. Make sure your mags are unloaded and ammo in factory boxes. It's really a simple process, I do it all the time.

You walk up to the ticket counter and tell the counter person that you "have a firearm to declare". They whip you right to the front of the line, they have you open the locked case...show the weapon is empty...sign a bright orange card stating it's empty and place it in with the weapon. Then you lock it back up and PUT THE LOCKED CASE BACK INTO YOUR OTHER LUGGAGE---It's much safer with the case inside another piece of luggage.

As far as Mickey world and other tourist attractions, I go by the rule DON'T ASK-DON'T TELL. They don't frisk you or have metal detectors. YMMV.

Drop me a note if I can help with anything.

Rick

13. Robert357

Robert357 New Member

May 11, 2009
    WA, the State
    Before, I get out of my car at an airport I go through a check list to figure out liquids, firearms, knives and "sharp implements." and then put anything I can't take with me and locked them in the car.

Unfortunately, I don't go through that kind of checklist when I sometimes dash into building where it is against the law to conceal carry. Fortunately in this state, the non-federal buildings (with the exception of schools) are suppose to have a locker where you and check your firearm and/or knife. Still I have accidently carried into federal buildings and the state patrol building and realized I needed to get out to check my parking meter.

A lot of the time you just forget that your P3AT is just there as it should be.

14. mydixiwrecked00

mydixiwrecked00 New Member

Jul 25, 2008

David,

Gary[/quote]

+1

No extra cost. Make sure your mags are unloaded and ammo in factory boxes. It's really a simple process, I do it all the time.

You walk up to the ticket counter and tell the counter person that you "have a firearm to declare". They whip you right to the front of the line, they have you open the locked case...show the weapon is empty...sign a bright orange card stating it's empty and place it in with the weapon. Then you lock it back up and PUT THE LOCKED CASE BACK INTO YOUR OTHER LUGGAGE---It's much safer with the case inside another piece of luggage.

As far as Mickey world and other tourist attractions, I go by the rule DON'T ASK-DON'T TELL. They don't frisk you or have metal detectors.   YMMV.

Drop me a note if I can help with anything.

Rick[/quote]

i just got back to my hotel room from down town disney...this is my last night in orlando before i make the 100 and some odd mile drive home  north up to jacksonville..

i can tell u this.. mickey HAS METAL DETECTORS and lil guys with wands checking bags at the ticket gates to all the parks... they  have signs stating no weapons, legal or other wise. its also on their website .  seaworld and universal wand u also.. i come down here often and carry everywhere. even down town disney and universal city walk. just remember to plan ahead and if u do decide to visit a bar, a club, library, sporting events, concerts, steril areas in airports, schools etc... to store it in the approriate place  either in your vehicle or hotel room( castle doctrine applys).

keep in mind disney is its own lil portal to a differnt dimension where they have their own laws and even their own jail 2 stories under the park... u can try the dont ask dont tell thing... but itll probly land u there.

fl ccw faqs
    http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/news/concealed_carry.html

15. yongxingfreesty

yongxingfreesty New Member

Jun 20, 2009
    LOL! He probably thought it would make it thru the sensors.

16. haugrdr

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    Maybe I'm wrong on the mickey thing, I dunno. Been there many times and have never been wanded or searched. I saw no metal detectors. I retract my advice.

Rick

17. wizard92

wizard92 Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Florida

It was in his carry on bag, not checked baggage.