Does your Daily Carry P3AT work?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by 224lps, Sep 9, 2007.

1. Just for the heck of it, let me ask you all this.
    Once you felt your P3AT was "brokin" in and working right, and you started to carry it as your only or main carry gun, has it ever failed to fire? Not only if you used it in self defence, but when you were at the rang. I would like to hear from you all on this. I'm expeckting that once you all felt it was working right and carred the gun, it has worked fine.
    As for me, mine just went back for the third time. It was working great when I got ot back on time # two, but not 100% , so I sent it in again. I will not use it as a carry untill it can go 200 rounds without a miss fire, etc. And yes I will test it with a cleaning every 40 to 50 rounds. But the 200 round will be one trip to the rang.
    Thank you all for responding.

2. Walsh2

Walsh2 New Member

Jul 6, 2007
    I cannot fathom, at any time, carrying my P3AT as my primary gun. Saying "I hope I don't get an FTF" is not an option because under stress, you are going to keep squeezing that trigger multiple times until it hits you that it isn't firing. And that is time better spent moving rather than wondering why the BG isn't falling over. Your life depends upon your gun once you pull it. Why wonder? Backup = Yes...Primary Carry = NO!

Walsh

3. 98_1LE

98_1LE New Member

Dec 29, 2005
    The last 40-rounds down the pipe were DPX, and it fired all of them into a ragged 2" hole. It has some problems feeding some cheap ammo, but otherwise has been great. I trust it will fire the 7 rounds it is loaded with if called upon to do so.

4. unit1069

unit1069 New Member

Jan 9, 2007
    I have full confidence that I will get off six or seven rounds of Remington Golden Saber or Fiocchi FMJ without a gun problem. (Shooter malfunction is another story)

In a life-or-death encounter I don't picture myself reloading even once, much less several dozen times, and if I thought I might possibly be in some kind of heavy-duty shootout in a particular area I wouldn't go there in the first place.

5. Spikejerk

Spikejerk New Member

I've had zero malfunctions with the P3 I carry.  Can't say the same about any other semi-auto I've owned.  Everytime I go to the range I shoot off at least the mag in it and the back up mag, just to make sure it's running smoothly.  I have no problem carrying it as my primary gun in most cases.  YMMV.

6. gpr

gpr New Member

Jan 6, 2005
    north palm beach
    i went to shoot off my carry ammo, after carrying a couple of months....the first round went POP...the second and third not much better...not a problem with my p3, but that sinking feeling all the same....gpr

7. Bree

Bree New Member

Sep 1, 2007
    I put the first 150 rounds on mine and got two jams with ball ammo. But I gotta tell you that I had already put 100 rounds or so through and the gun was HOT! I was firing very fast mag after mag. With the thin cases they have today it doesn't surprise me one bit that a couple might hang when it is hot and dirty.

In self defense, the gun will never be that hot. Plus premium ammo usually means premium cases. I am not worried about the gun failing to fire. Now if it jammed during the first couple of mags, that is a different ballgame. With a cool, clean gun, there should be no jams. That's my $.02 on it.
    :cool: :cool: :cool:

8. sharpetop

sharpetop New Member

Dec 1, 2004
    Mine works or I wouldn't carry it! :cool:

9. tjhjunk

tjhjunk New Member

Jun 10, 2007
    My P3AT has about 400rds. + or - and the only problems that I have encountered were "operator error" when I concentrate on what I am doing it goes BANG ;D. So how do you prepare yourself for a shtf situation.

1. Be aware of your surroundings, not paranoid :'(, cautious :-? especially around convenience stores, ATM's etc.

2. Avoid confrontation, walk away be nice. Carrying a gun comes with responsibility not license to be a jerk.

3. Learn your weapon and put a lot of lead down range.

Shoot, Clean, Repeat ;D

Tim :cool:
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. Josey Wales

10. jocko

jocko Guest

I have full confidence that I will get off six or seven rounds of Remington Golden Saber or Fiocchi FMJ without a gun problem.  (Shooter malfunction is another story)

In a life-or-death encounter I don't picture myself reloading even once, much less several dozen times, and if I thought I might possibly be in some kind of heavy-duty shootout in a particular area I wouldn't go there in the first place.[/quote]
    If shooter malfunction is a problem with a certain type of handgun, then that gun is no good for that person, be whatever it is.  Quality, price has nothing to do with it, if it doesn't work everytime in YOUR HANDS. If one feels  confident that his handgun will go off for a full magazine and that is all you want then so be it. rest comfortably with it then, No alibi's needed to carry. Myself I have always felt my ccw weapon  is also one that I can shoot alot. A magazine a month certainly IMO is not getting to know your handgun. FWIW

11. Jkwas

Jkwas New Member

Aug 26, 2007
    Perfect out of the box. 75rnds of S&B FMJ. and that's what I carry in it.

12. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX
    ok, i make it habit to fire my p3at every time i go to the range. i empty my carry mag, and refill it.

last time zeke as up here, it DID fail to fire. pulled it, click. click. click.

hammer spring snapped. brewster6514 was here too.

but it could have just as well been my glock, or kimber, or xd, or taurus.

they can ALL fail, at ANY time. you need to prepare for that possibility.

and once repaired, I went through 500 rounds to re-qualify it as suitable for carry.

every time I have to fix something, that is what I do.

13. MikeD

MikeD New Member

Jul 5, 2006
    Yup, like those commandos over on Glocktalk who think their Glocks are perfect and can NEVER fail. It's always the shooter and/or the ammo with them. ::)

On that note, after just over 10 years of ownership and countless thousands of rounds through my G19, the original trigger return spring broke and the trigger wouldn't reset. To the G19's credit, once I figured out what was wrong, it could still be made to function by pushing the trigger forward and manually resetting it. One good thing about Glocks is anything and everything is a very simple fix as a complete detail strip is very easy...even easier than a P3AT. No thread locking compound needed!

14. RAT76

RAT76 Active Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma

Yes. I pulled it out at the range and click no bang. I had forgotten to chamber a round when I cleaned it the night before. Sinking feeling in the stomach. I will NEVER do that again. Forget I mean..... not clean. I do clean it every once in a while. ;) ;D

15. Jkwas

Jkwas New Member

Aug 26, 2007
    I can see that would be a problem. I always check mine for one in the chamber and give the mag a tap on the bottom before pocketing the gun. It's nice that you can clearly see a round chambered from the side. I also check the position of the hammer to see that it's "set". Obsessive compulsive I guess.

16. exbpo

exbpo New Member

Aug 29, 2007
    I've only had this thing about 12 days and 4 or 5 trips to the range. I've put over 200 rounds of various types of ammo through it (FMJ, LRN, two different kinds of JHP) and its been 100%. :) Its your basic black P-3AT but it look better and better to me the more I shoot it.

17. Dan-O

Dan-O Member

Jan 15, 2007
    Kansas
    If it didnt work, it would not be my daily carry weapon. :p

18. burley

burley Active Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    Don't know my exact count but over 500 . My slide had a peen starting and  I put the JFB washer in. That was over 300 rounds ago and no problems. It's my go anywhere gun ,sometimes a bug sometimes primary.

19. W2

W2 New Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Okeechobee, FL
    I may not carry all the time, but when I do I know it will work. Over a 800 rounds, and only a light strike from not letting the trigger reset, and one stuck in the pipe from a over-expanded case in a dirty gun (59 rnds without cleaning). Yes I trust my P3AT as well as my PF9. It also has been perfect. Only MF was a Fail to Eject, and that was from limp-wristing. I Let my 8 year old Nephew shoot off a 2 rounds (under very close supervision) and he did not have the strength to hold it tight. His 13 year old sister did not have a problem with it, so yes, Kel-Tec gets my vote. ;D

20. c0wboi38

c0wboi38 New Member

Sep 19, 2006
    I swear I am blessed with the "touch" when it comes to weapons.

We own many, as you may have guessed. Not just the KT's but every gun I own has been perfect. Sigs, KTs, 1911, shotguns, AKs, and more.

Not one MECHANICAL failure. I've had faulty ammo (usually Wolf) and I've had some operator head-space issues. But no problems with the tool themselves.

All 5 KTs in this house are 100 percent. My wife and I both trust them with our lives.