Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its not mine, I found it on armslist (seller wants like 900) but it seems to me that it has been transformed into a 1" barreled .327... (ruger sp101, btw) now I have not fired any .327 magnums, but I have fired 32 h&r mags. and they aren't what I would call "punishing" by any stretch. I could see a mag na port type job done on one of these to keep muzzle flip down, but this is overkill IMHO, not to mention the probable blinding one would receive if firing this baby in dim light...

Attachments

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
I have to agree with your assessment. The size and location of the ports seem like a badly thought out idea. I don't see why they didn't do a standard porting job. Good luck to them selling that gun.

·
Registered
9,377 Posts
Could have just shot .32 S&W long without the ports and got about the same performance.

rc

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Is there a chance it was done to make the gun quieter, rather than reduced recoil? It looks like whoever messed it up had a plan --- the holes are cut clean and spaced nicely. But what were they thinking? Hmm.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
I've yet to get even $0.02 for my opinion, but here it is free, my gift to you.
Looks like someone played 'pimp my pistol' and was looking for things to do to it. It looks real sharp, if that's what you like. Is the hammer chromed? ejector rod also maybe? Yeah, the grips look great and the gun looks clean as a pin. It looks like someone with either more money or time/tools than sense got carried away. Also looks like they don't understand "what I have in it" and "what it is worth". I remember someone bringing in an s10 pick up for trade. They had done a "nice job" on a red/white/blue flag motif. They thougth it made the vehicle worth more, and to the 3 other guys in the whole world that liked it, they did. Finding those buyers is tough though. Got 900 burning a hole in your pocket? look at s/w performance pistols. Sweeet. :D

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
Is there a chance it was done to make the gun quieter, rather than reduced recoil? It looks like whoever messed it up had a plan --- the holes are cut clean and spaced nicely. But what were they thinking? Hmm.
I think it would be louder. I know that a short barreled AR15 is much louder than a 16" barrel. Seems like this would be the same thing.

They ruined that gun.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow... went back and looked at the a.l. ad again. I don't know if he dropped the price or I mis-read it, but he is now asking 750: http://www.armslist.com/posts/371273/cincinnati-ohio-handguns-for-sale--ruger-sp101--327-mag-

Then I saw that custom work was done by Gemini Customs (http://www.geminicustoms.com/index.htm) apparently the do a lot of this sort of thing... and factoring in the price of the 'smithing, I guess 750 isn't bad if your into that kind of stuff. But wow, how high must the demand be to reduce magnum velocity handgun cartridges to "special" level speeds? (They do .44s and .357s also) it looks like quality work, but really? I don't want to sound disparageing, it just seems counterproductive...

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
I think porting isn't a bad idea in general, my S.I.L's Glock 19C is a sweet shooting gun. My wife liked it so much I plan to buy her one too. I'm thinking about trading my G23 for a friend's G23C too. When we get one I plan to shoot it in the dark to see if there really is a blinding flash from the ports.

If that revolver was done like Magna-port it would be much better. I wouldn't want it myself but I'm not much of a wheel gun guy.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
I think porting isn't a bad idea in general, my S.I.L's Glock 19C is a sweet shooting gun. My wife liked it so much I plan to buy her one too. I'm thinking about trading my G23 for a friend's G23C too. When we get one I plan to shoot it in the dark to see if there really is a blinding flash from the ports.

If that revolver was done like Magna-port it would be much better. I wouldn't want it myself but I'm not much of a wheel gun guy.

We had a glock 17c and I could not tell that the porting did anything at all. I have shot normal 17s and they seemed exactly the same.

I am not a fan of it in general, but I can tell you that it *can* be made to work, either as porting or a muzzle break, but it takes getting the holes exactly right for the gun and ammo in question.

This is an extreme example of a WELL DONE gas porting type compensation.

http://eod-lasers.com/products.php?PROD=T3

This is a 12 ga shotgun "disruptor" which uses a VERY BEEFED UP 12ga shell. They fill the barrel of the gun with water, I forget how much, and blast something to destroy it. It is not shootable by humans.

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
The porting on my old .44 mag Taurus Tracker didn't do much for perceived recoil, but it did help with reducing muzzle flip. In that instance, porting of a revolver is handy.

·
Premium Member
15,000 Posts
I always thought porting was to take a little bit of the off gasses and use them to tame muzzle flip. In this case, they are bleeding off most of the gasses...to what purpose I don't know.

Kind of ruins the gun in my eyes.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
it absolutely is ruined unless there is some mysterious special purpose to it. Then it is ruined for everything but that special purpose (???). It is probably possible to put a new barrel in, but at great expense, cost as much as a good gun.

Apparently this is the patented hybra port:

We have applied our Hybra-Port™ technology to these particular Air Lite Revolvers a little differently than our usual approach, and have chosen to produce our own custom made solid stainless steel replacement barrel to be used in conjunction with the S&W two piece barrel and shroud assembly.

This has allowed the amazing light weight of 17 ounces to remain virtually unchanged, and yet this approach dramatically tames the recoil to levels that feel like a .38special fired in a heavier gun. The Hybra-Port™ conversion has almost no muzzle flip, and follow up shots, if you ever needed them can be accomplished very quickly.

----- I am thinking the comment someone made about losing all the energy and effectively turning the gun into a 38 special that shoots pricy ammo is right on the nose.

·
Registered
133 Posts
The 327 Federal Magnum doesn't have enough recoil to warrant this type of porting.... unless the guy who did it is a real Nancy!

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
DDelambre said:
The 327 Federal Magnum doesn't have enough recoil to warrant this type of porting.... unless the guy who did it is a real Nancy!
Yes and no. Most factory ammo is rather bland. However, Speer's 115gr Gold Dot is another matter altogether. I have a Taurus snubnose with Hogue grips on it. This gun does a good job of digesting everything but this Gold Dot load with no recoil to speak of. The recoil with the Gold Dot actually stings my hand quite a bit. Why? Speers says this load uses small rifle primers instead of small pistol primers. The recoil stings my hand quite a bit but it certainly isnt brital enough to warrant porting unless the shooter has a physical reason/disability that limits the amount of recoil that he or she can endure.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts