Does this FTE happen to you too?  Why is it?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Second_Life, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Second_Life

Second_Life New Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Does this FTE happen to you too?  Why is it?

Hey all,
    Here's a simulated pic of the fail to eject I'm having while using Sellier & Bellot FMJ 92grs (http://www.sellier-bellot.cz/pistol-and-revolver-detail.php?ammunition=9&product=170).

[​IMG]

Can anyone tell me if this is the ammo or something else like velocity, weight or what?  I'm a novice doing my best to do it right.
    This is the 150-225 rounds of break-in happening around the 20th round or so.  Have done a F&B and always a proper cleaning/oiling, etc.

Does anyone use this ammo with the same FTEs?  Is the break-in still going on?

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Re: Does this FTE happen to you too?  Why is it?

I can't tell the position of the fresh round. If it is still under the slide, then it kind of look like not restaining the recoil of the frame and thus the slide not going to full recoil.

3. twyacht

twyacht New Member

May 19, 2008
    Re: Does this FTE happen to you too?  Why is

On occasion, I have not had the best results with S&B ammo,...in a variety of calibers.

Has this happened with any other brands you've tried?

4. Second_Life

Second_Life New Member

Jun 22, 2008

twyacht - some Gold Dot at 90gr as self defense used for target, only used 35 of 50 and don't remember if there was a FTE.

JFB - the pic is simulated (didn't have camera phone on me) but the fresh round seams to be nosed on the ramp held down by the FTE. I'm not able to eject the mag. until I pull the slide back.

5. keltec-NK

keltec-NK New Member

May 23, 2007

this happens to me when I do not hold it firmly

Quote from engineer88 on Apr 10th, 2008, 5:46pm
    1. Read this thread and the links in it: http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1206771556
    2. Buy a finger extension, it makes a HUGE difference.

Took me quite a while to figure out the firm wrist thing, (I am slow ). I kept blaming the gun. Funny thing is, I now shoot every other gun I pick up better then ever after figuring this out.

6. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX

Could a loose extractor contribute to this?

7. Second_Life

Second_Life New Member

Jun 22, 2008

Did a field brakedown and verified the extractor was tight.

TXshooter - thanks for the link to limp wrist, I am using the double tap method and usually need a firm wrist to stay on target. I'll try the method on my next visit to see if that helps but the action should still clear the breach I think. That's why I'm wondering if the ammo doesn't have enough push on the slide or something that may not let the slide open all the way.

8. rcmodel

rcmodel New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Eastern Kansas

It has been my experiance that S&B is very good .380 ammo, and is loaded slightly hotter then most American FMJ ammo. It should be throwing S&B empties into low earth orbit.

Didn't happen to loose the ejector out of the frame while you had the gun apart at the range did you?

Part #115 shown here:
    http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/p3atparts.htm

rcmodel

9. regrip

regrip New Member

Aug 10, 2007

I had that problem also, but since then I make sure to tighten the ejector spring screw each time I finish shooting and have not had any more problems. I probably should clean every thing out real good and use the locktight on the screw as others have done. Good luck. Tom :)

10. keltec-NK

keltec-NK New Member

May 23, 2007

I have never been a good shade-tree mechanic on my guns...but this video has really helped me....good luck all!

http://www.oregonshooting.com/vids/spgrip1.wmv

11. Bobo

Bobo Active Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
  12. Second_Life

Second_Life New Member

Jun 22, 2008

Great link Bobo, that seams to relate to my pistol too. Noticed that the link dates to Feb. and my production date is March of this year. Is there a pattern here? How many others have a 2008 with excessive fail to eject/extracts? :-?

Anyway, I called CS and asked all these questions, ammo, limp wristing, break-in.....CS said that after 100 rounds it is broken in and it should/doesn't matter the ammo, there shouldn't be any fail to extract or ejects at this point. So....sent it in.

On the link posted by Bobo, I wonder what the conclusion was for those pistols?

I'll keep this thread updated when I get more info.

Thanks everyone for the replies. :)

13. rcmodel

rcmodel New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Eastern Kansas

Did you happen to check if you still have "Ejector, 1 each, part #115" still in the gun, as I ask in post #7 above?

rcmodel

14. rstick

rstick New Member

Jul 29, 2008

I can honestly say that I've been very impressed with the performance of my pistola. My P3AT has been nothing but good. I've put all kinds of ammo through it. Winchester White Box, CorBon Pow 'R Ball among others. I haven't had an FTE or FTF in any of them. I've also had many years of pocket dust accumulate in the inner workings of the pistol and haven't yet had a problem. It could be that you are limp wristing.

15. george

george Guest

My P3AT has been nothing but good right out of the box. 285+ times. 100% I love it.

Geo. :)

16. Cremator

Cremator New Member

Oct 31, 2007

Both my friend and I have had nothing but problems with S&B in several different guns. Usually it expands too much and gets stuck in the chamber and you have to pry it out. Because it happens in every gun, both 9mm and .380 I have eliminated the gun as the problem. I will not buy S&B anymore.

17. Second_Life

Second_Life New Member

Jun 22, 2008

Sorry I didn't answer your question rcmodel, YES all parts were in and tight. That's why I was questioning the ammo or spring tension or break-in or .........

18. Second_Life

Second_Life New Member

Jun 22, 2008

And that was what I suspected but customer service, Bill, said it doesn't matter about the ammo, the pistol should not FTE.

19. Bobo

Bobo Active Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005

I have shot about 200 rounds of S&B through my 2G P-3AT without any failures to feed or extract/eject.

But I must say that this was long after my gun was well broken in and the parts that had to be smooth and slippery already were. If my gun was new at the time things may have been different, there is no way to know for sure.

Bobo

20. poppo

poppo Member

Jul 3, 2008

I've probably only put about 150 rounds through mine so far but have never had that happen. The only problem I had initially was an occasional FTF of the first round. But after a little F&B on the ramp and perhaps it just breaking in, I have not had that happen again.