Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone with HC P3 have to send their slides back due to recoil assembly peening?

Taking an unofficial poll. :p

Edited because I wrote peeing instead of peening, doh!

·
Banned
7,638 Posts
I doubt if you will SEE this issue in a HC version. even If there is NO QC on blued slides, those that are going to be plated, (extra cost outsourced to another company) will be double checked for defects before they go out.

Packer.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Two Pistol Packer said:
  I doubt if you will SEE this issue in a HC version. even If there is NO QC on blued slides, those that are going to be plated, (extra cost outsourced to another company) will be double checked for defects before they go out.

Packer.
When I was at Kel-Tec last month, there was a guy with a brand new, never fired HC Slide. He was exchanging it because of a defect in the finish. Tina brought out two new HC slides for him to choose from. One finish was better than the other.

·
Banned
7,638 Posts
My point was, they will check the slide for defects before spending the money and sending it out to plate it. You are talking about a defect that showed up AFTER it came back from plating.

The inferior slide that was rejected for HC, may still be good enough for blued finish.

Packer.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah that's where mine has the peening going on.

I'm wondering if the HC'n somehow may harden it enough to affect the peening issue.

Not enough responses to make a judgement thus far...

·
Banned
7,638 Posts
The hard chrome plating is very thin. It is a surface finish that is hard enough to resist scratches, but it is just a plating applied over the normal steel slide.

If a slide is drilled too large in the recoil rod hole, It will peen regardless of whether it is plated or not--The thin plating would not deter it.

However, my point is that, because the HC slides are subjected to more scrutiny before shipping them out for chroming, (Why pay to have a defective part chromed?) You are unlikely to SEE this problem occur in a HC slide.

Packer.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Two Pistol Packer said:

However, my point is that, because the HC slides are subjected to more scrutiny before shipping them out for chroming, (Why pay to have a defective part chromed?) You are unlikely to SEE this problem occur in a HC slide.

Packer.
If what you speculate is correct then that is really S.H.I.T.T.Y. QC. So what you're saying is that it's not ok to send off a "defective" part to pay to have it chromed (and charge the end user more) but OK to sell it blued?!?! If what you are trying to say is that the pre-HC slides get a better look than the others in this area, is still bad QC. How much longer does it take to check ALL slides for the defect?

·
Banned
7,638 Posts
  Old 60's elephant joke:
  Why do elephants paint their toenails pink? SO THEY CAN HIDE IN CHERRY TREES!

Have you ever SEEN an elephant in a cherry tree? NO!

They hide pretty good, don't they?
  Have you ever SEEN a defective HC slide? Maybe, but not many.

Packer.

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
I don't know, but I kind of doubt that KT really hand picks the slides they have chromed. These are mass producted guns and I don't see where they hand pick much. If they did, it would probably be based mostly on looks. But then the chrome is probably better at hiding an ugly slide than is the blueing. Who knows?

My guess is that the reason so may see less hard chrome gun issues is simply that there are WAY less hard chrome guns. I do think, however, (no proof) that the hard chromed guns may run a little better as the surface (slide rails, etc) seems to be a bit slicker and maybe holds lubrication better. A few others have speculated the same. :-/

·
Registered
56 Posts
I am not so sure about KelTec hand picking slides before they get sent for plating. Pictures below are the HC 3AT I picked up last weekend, serial #J7XXX. All I have done is clean it and some buff on the barrell, feed ramp. The first picture shows the end of the slide where the guide rod & springs fit. The hole was definately drilled, and only about 1/32" of metal left in the bottom. The green stuff you see in the picture is synthetic lithium gun greese. Picture #2 is the inside of the slide opposite the extractor. Lot of machine marks, and a bit of a groove that some have felt was linked to extraction issues. I plan to take the gun to the range next week end to start breaking it in. I definately will be keeping an eye out for problems down the road.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm actually picking up a new HC P3AT this afternoon as well. It's a J7xxx also. I hope the machine marks aren't too bad. It will probably be a couple of weeks before I can put some rounds through it. Should give me enough to to hit it with some 400-600 sand paper.

BTW, anything special about F&B'n a hard chrome slide?

·
Registered
44 Posts
No way. All three of the slides I've returned on mine have had those machining marks on the inside of the left side rail. Only the first original slide that came with the gun had them to a lesser degree [J20xx] . They keep returning slides with
those marks on them to me, and they continue to peen at the front recoil rod hole. I'm waiting to see what the fourth slide looks like when they ship it back to me. Wait is more than three weeks now. I will post pics when it gets here.
Mack

Two Pistol Packer said:
  That slide looks perfectly normal. My two year old slides look exactly the same. Watch it if you want, but I would be surprised if any springs pop out.

Packer.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I am not going to worry about it. I plan to use it fully, enjoy, and if a problem develops deal with it when it happens. I fully realize I did not pay for a Glock or a Sig, and actually they do not offer anything that could take it's place. I own a Glock 30 & a Sig 229, but they do not meet my needs for deep conceal carry in most conditions. The P3AT is the only real option (IMO) for this application for my needs. Still, these issues do raise my concern about kelTec Quality control. The lifetime warranty will not be worth much if the company end up out of business. It appears they really need to get a handle on quality control fast.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I don't think the marks on the rail are causing the peening at the recoil rod hole. But they have been present on every slide I've tried for this gun. And they were not as pronounced on all of the slides.
I am thinking that they are an indication of a poor machining operation. Just my .02c.
Mack

Two Pistol Packer said:
  I was not aware that the machining marks on the inside of the rail had anything to do with the recoil spring popping out. Please explain.

Packer.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.