Does size really matter ?????

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by rizo, May 21, 2009.

1. rizo

rizo New Member

Apr 17, 2009
    I originaly bought the p3at for summer concealment here in phoenix,az it was always a chore for me to conceal my colt defender in the summer months.My situation is now that I always grab my 380 before my 45 even in the winter months just because it`s the most comfortable concealable weapon i`ve ever carried.I now feel bad that i like this little gun so much...anybody else going through this...some of my friends think i`m nuts to put this gun ahead of all others ::)

2. RCACFBilly

RCACFBilly New Member

Mar 29, 2008
    rizo,

Your friends have never carried a 3AT or they would agree!

Billy

3. molachi

molachi New Member

Jun 16, 2008
    Pensacola, Fl.
    I have a P-11 and a .40 Cal along with my P-3AT and the P3 is what always goes with me when I leave home...

John

4. torrent

torrent New Member

Dec 18, 2006
    I have carried much less and felt comfortable with it. In the colder months it is easier to conceal something bigger most of the time so it would make sense to carry the .45 since most people wear heavy coats and the like. That woud limit the .380's penetration. That said, I carry my p3at sometimes in the winter and all of the time in the summer. During spring and fall I switch around depending on how I'm dressed. Just use what you are comfortable with and let everybody else mind their own. Just my .02.

5. riverkeeper

riverkeeper New Member

Aug 30, 2006
    Whole books have been written on caliber, muzzle velocity, bullet type and related effectiveness.  Bottom line I understand is that size and speed and bulllet type matter but not as much as placement.

My SWAG is that 1  357 or 1  45 or 1  44 or 1 40 will be about as effective on the receiving end as 2 380s but that's my SWAG.

I mostly carry a 380 BUT at times a 357 or 44 will go instead.

6. mhiland

mhiland New Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Ask your friends if they wouldn't mind dressing up all snug and cozy in their winter coats and letting you pop off a couple of .380 rounds square in their chest with your p3at.  Bet you don't get any takers!   ;D

For me personally, I carry my p3at with me a heck of a lot more than I ever carried my other CC pieces.  So with me, the old saying that a .380 in your pocket is better than something bigger left at home is definitely true!

7. risabee

risabee Member

Jun 23, 2007
    7 well-trained triggerings of a good brand of three-eighty should be enough to mess up any BG's calendar, I betcha! :cool:

8. subsonix

subsonix New Member

May 22, 2009
    YES! It darn well matters!

Smaller the better. Why would you want to carry around a gun twice as big and heavy? You obviously don't or you wouldn't be carrying the p3at. In a real life situation, you are going most likely be a couple feet from your target, or closer! A ccw should be light, small, simple, and reliable. A hand cannon is just not needed. I have run across lots of criminals, none of them had kevlar on. A winter coat makes for sucky armor. C'mon, it wouldn't stop a .22lr, much less that .380. Go outside and wrap up a watermelon with 2 or 3 big coats. Shoot it, look at it, and tell me if you would want to be that melon.

I personally won't carry anything smaller than a .380, but lugging around a .45 on my 140 pound frame in the Mississippi heat\humidity does not sound like a good time. I would look like Gary Coleman trying to smuggle a plr-16 under his shirt!

I have larger calibers hidden around the house, but my keltec .380 "pocket rocket  ;D" goes everywhere with me.

+1 Riverkeeper  
    "Bottom line I understand is that size and speed and bulllet type matter but not as much as placement."

could not have said it better

9. fatman

fatman New Member

Apr 6, 2005
    Your P3AT is an "always" gun but that doesn't mean you can't carry something bigger in addition to it when conditions permit. All else being equal bigger is usually more effective and easier to shoot.

10. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    I carry my P3AT everywhere, I don't think you can find a better balance of size, weight and punch. When I can I will also carry my PF9 or G27 and then the P3 is my BUG. Don't worry too much about what others think and carry what you are comfortable with, as long as you carry everywhere you legally can.

CJ

11. LittleKatie

LittleKatie New Member

Nov 16, 2008
    Out of all of my pistols, the p3at is the one I carry most of all.  I purchased a Kimber ultra crimson carry, that I love very much, but I hardly carry it because of the ease and comfort of the p3at.  It does get hot here in Mississippi, and carrying a lighter, smaller gun, makes a huge difference.  When I walk out of my house, I check my inventory.  Keys, wallet, cell phone, p3at.  I use a high noon IWB holster or a nemesis desanti pocket holster.  I often forget that I am even carrying.  
     My Lil Katie has been a very reliable weapon and in a life threatening situation, I would trust her to perform flawlessly.  In a close encounter with a bad guy, I feel the .380 round is a sufficient round to get the job done.  Shot placement counts.  A little hole in the head or heart, is the same as a big one, if you ask me.   This little gun just makes it so easy to carry on a regular basis.

12. lop

lop Active Member

May 20, 2008
    I got my p3 because I could not carry a heavier gun in the N. Ga summers. As it got cooler in the fall and I could again carry more, I saw no reason to ditch the p3. It is always in the pocket, the sig 9mm is on the hip as much as possible, unless of course the .44 is in the arm pit ;) When I'm on the range I alway have a loaded gun on my person, even if i'm carrying a just emptied one down range or back to the reload table. The worst epitaph in the world "you should have seen what I had in my safe..." At 3 in the a.m., if I and the pups go out to "water the trees" I'll have nothing on but a pair of flip-flops and a p3 in my left armpit. 24/7 means 24/7

p.s. I live in the woods, just the wife and I and a few friends with tails. ::)

13. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    The P3AT is the perfect package, small, light, and packs a punch. I know the macho, he man types don't think you should carry anything under a .45ACP. But, how many of them are unarmed in the Summer?

I live in the Midwest. Summers are hot and humid, just as hot and humid as B'ham in July! I'm heading into my first Summer with my P3AT and my PF-9. Last Summer I carried my LCP and left my XD SC in the safe. This year I will carry the PF-9 as much as I can but it will be my P3AT that will be with me everyday, 24/7.

I feel just as secure with my P3AT as my PF-9. The power or size of the round isn't what counts. Shot placement is what matters. A .380 unloaded in a BG's chest is just as effective as any other unloaded gun to the chest.

14. Boggs51

Boggs51 New Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Billjohnso20:

I agree. Well placed shots with the P3AT loaded with Cor-Bon DPX is all you need!

I know I wouldn't want to be shot with that combo.

15. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Wow, where do I start? The P3AT is just so convenient to carry with respect to size and weight (even with an ArmaLaser attached). It almost disappears in my front pocket or when I need deeper concealment in my Smart Carry. Sure, I'd like it to be 9mm instead of a .380 but wouldn't want to sacrifice much with respect to size, weight and shotability (if there is such a word). My Glock 26, which I really do like, gets some carry on the weekend (I've go it on me now) but the P3AT is almost always with me (it is in my front pocket as I type this reply).

Oh, as to winter carry, if heavy clothing penetration is a concern, consider switching to a carry round using 100 gr. hardcast bullet. My brother does reloads otherwise I'd get the rounds from Buffalo Bore.
    Ref. http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=127

Take care...

16. GunSmoke16610

GunSmoke16610 New Member

Apr 30, 2009
    This was the very hang up I had with the 380 before buying a P-3AT. For me the simple fact that I always have a gun is more important than the caliber. I think this is the biggest benefit to the Kel tec...

If I go down it will be with my 380 and a fight........