Does not like the cheap stuff

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Devildog341, Feb 13, 2009.

1. Devildog341

Devildog341 New Member

Jan 17, 2008
    I just qualified with my P3AT yesterday for a back up weapon using American Eagle ammo.  I have qualified with it before and have used AE, S&B, and Blazer for that purpose.  They all gave me cycling problems.  It fires Hydra Shok and Cor Bon (which I use for carrying) without a problem.  I had several FTE yesterday, usually on the next to the last round.  It's not a magazine issue because it happened with both magazines.  I guess it's like a car that only takes premium gas.  Unfortunately, since I carry it more than anything else on and off duty, the malfunctions have given me less than a warm fuzzy feeling and I am considering going to a snub nose revolver.  They just don't disappear in a pocket like the P3AT.

2. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    DD - I have never had a P3AT that didn't like AE FMJs. I'd sure like to see you back to a really warm fuzzy with them and that should be pretty easy. Is yours dripping with lube and grease on all the metal/metal parts? And how polished is your feedramp?

-Scott

3. Devildog341

Devildog341 New Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Yep, did a F&B some time ago. Nice polished ramp. Cleaned and lubed before firing.

4. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Is part 115 still there in the frame on the left side (which would normally be problematic with the last round but who knows) ? And is the screw holding the extractor in the slide nice and tight?

I had one P3AT that kept getting a shell hung up on the barrel hood and had to do a minor "flyer barrel hood mod" to make that baby work great.

Can you describe your ejection failures a bit more specific.

-Scott

5. Devildog341

Devildog341 New Member

Jan 17, 2008
    All parts are there and the extractor spring is tight. It extracts from the barrel but does not clear the chamber to eject before the slide returns. Almost a stove pipe but more horizontal in the chamber. Dropped the magazine, spent casing fell out, reinserted the mag, and chambered and fired the last round. I've fire 12 rounds of Cor Bon and some Hydra Shock in the past and never had it jam. What I'm worried about is if I was just lucky with the Cor Bon the time I fired it.

6. bro61

bro61 New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    I've had a couple hiccups with mine using fmj's but it has been perfect using carry ammo. 150 rounds of Golden Sabres and 50 rounds of Speer Gold dot.

7. Scott7161

Scott7161 New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Yes, I've noticed that my P3AT prefers the corbons as well. I had noticed that my extractor screw was tight but not all the way screwed in. Upon tinkering with it, I was able to get it in further and had less jams, however I notice that I really have to keep the gun clean and oiled well after each use or it will jam even with the extractor screw fixed.

8. Devildog341

Devildog341 New Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Ah-ha!  I remembered that I had disassembled the slide several months ago to show another P3AT owner how to do it so he could replace his firing pin.  I know I had everything tightened when I put it back together, but I was just able to tighten the screw about 1/8 turn.  Question is, did it loosen during firing or was it loose before?  The FTE started early on the first magazine I fired during the session.  I still had FTE issues on practice ammo before I disassembled the slide, especially with Blazer, but not so much the S&B.  Since many shooters have great success with the AE ammo, maybe it was a factor in this instance.  As long as the duty ammo fires without a problem, I'll be happy.

9. fastcarsgofast

fastcarsgofast New Member

Feb 17, 2009
    I have qualified with mine for years using anything from silver bear to gold dots to guns show special fmj rounds. Never a hiccup on any of them. Now that you have tightened it up I would recommend getting it back to the range ASAP to test it out.

10. johnyutah

johnyutah New Member

Feb 9, 2009
    My father and I went shooting the other day and we had 3 p3at's between the two of us and we were having problems with all three guns. I kept getting the same almost stove pipe jam as referred to above. I was using Magtec FMJ and I'm not sure what he was using. We had both first gen and second gen guns. They were all fairly new purchases and I think they were needing a cleaning.

I cleaned mine very good that night and when I went to reload it with my carry ammo also got jammed???? I'll check the ejector spring to make sure it is tight.

Any other suggestions? That makes me a little worried about this as a reliable carry gun.

11. Scott7161

Scott7161 New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    I like my P3AT - but bought a Glock 27 for carry because I couldn't rely on the Kel Tec due to so many FTE over the last few months. That little P3AT is cute though!

12. gapman

gapman New Member

Feb 27, 2009
    i took mine to the range the other day and it would not feed wolf at all. i dont like AE at all. i had a ton of trouble with it in my glocks and in a ruger mkII. i try to stay away from the cheap stuff but that is all i could find down here in ga. hopefully it will clear up for you now that you have it all tightened up
    john

13. phoenixtexoma

phoenixtexoma Banned

Sep 12, 2008
    I haven't hand a single problem with mine after several hundred rounds, except for Winchester Silvertip HPs, which are 1mm shorter than the Federal, American Eagle and Remington ammo I've been using.

14. frankmako

frankmako New Member

Mar 11, 2006
    Chattanooga TN
    sometimes my p3at will act up. don't know why, just does. so i clean it real good and do some more F&B on the barrel. then i clean the mags. the mags are the problems on most problems.

15. johnyutah

johnyutah New Member

Feb 9, 2009
    Quick Update:

I cleaned it really well and took it back out last week. It seemed to work much better, but did start to FTF after about 30-40 rounds. Seems like cleaning is the key. I haven't cleaned the magazines at all, but I'll try that.