Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Bought a Marlin 1894 in .357 Mag a dozen years or so ago. Put the scout scope mount and a Burris Scout Scope on it. Fabulous. Locate the target with both eyes open, close the left (I shoot right-handed) and the reticle is perfectly placed. Thanks to the lightened trigger, the deer have no chance. This includes a 1-shot kill of a big old buck that scored 150+ points. Yes, the .357 is adequate with a Hornady 180 gr. XTP atop a near-max load of 2400. And it's a tackdriver. But it's weird - this 1894 is accurate only with heavier bullets, 140 gr. or heavier. Even factory 125 JHPs were no better than 5" @ 25 yd.

·
Premium Member
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Bought a Marlin 1894 in .357 Mag a dozen years or so ago. Put the scout scope mount and a Burris Scout Scope on it. Fabulous. Locate the target with both eyes open, close the left (I shoot right-handed) and the reticle is perfectly placed. Thanks to the lightened trigger, the deer have no chance. This includes a 1-shot kill of a big old buck that scored 150+ points. Yes, the .357 is adequate with a Hornady 180 gr. XTP atop a near-max load of 2400. And it's a tackdriver. But it's weird - this 1894 is accurate only with heavier bullets, 140 gr. or heavier. Even factory 125 JHPs were no better than 5" @ 25 yd.
What barrel length?

·
Registered
14 Posts
What barrel length?
20" The Labradar chronograph confirmed some surprising numbers which were confirmed by an Oehler 35P: 1,649 fps average with a std. dev. of 7. No signs of excessive pressure in either my nor my nephew's twin 1894.
Also, Ohio is a "straight-wall" state with lots of thick cover, so 75 yd. max.
One more thing - given that it's quickly and accurately used on deer, it's more than adequate for SD.

·
Premium Member
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
- given that it's quickly and accurately used on deer, it's more than adequate for SD.
You don't know Texans!
Thanks for the data. I was wondering if im under powered. NOT!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Don't assume. Grew up in Texas, Richland Hills to be exact, & have a daughter @ Ft. Hood. I moved north to pursue educational opportunities and stayed. Been enjoying the temperate climate for nearly 5 decades. Up here we hibernate in the winter. Down there we hibernated in the summer. Up here no need for the exterminators twice per year and no poisonous crustaceans nor snakes, no killer bees nor fire ants. And nowadays both places have great beef barbecue. Let's be thankful for having choices.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Does the old lever gun have a place in today's tacticool high speed low drag world?

A friend of mine's dad took a black powder lever action to some sort of open competition and beat out the AK and AR guys, but he was exceptional with it. Like how some guys can jockey a revolver better than an average guy can run an auto.

My favorite lever is a BLR 308, has a magazine. I was looking at one point to get someone to fit me a high cap mag for it, but could not find anyone. If I get a 3-d printer I will tear up a 308 AR for floor plate and spring and make me one. Ive got some kind of adjustable power scope that gets around 25X at the top end, and some sort of recoil taming pad. It could be an effective package. You can run through the ammo on one quickly and the lever, unlike a pump, is not too bad for pulling your aim off target. The big issue is that most of them have low capacity; so any sort of attempt to make it into an AR surrogate means a pistol caliber or the big boys that have mags.... Or doing something screwy like a short wildcat, neck down a 44 mag lever gun to 9mm or something fun.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Honestly the modern 94's in 44 Magnum are beautiful to use, if I could justify having one I would but it's not a niche or ammo type I need to add to my life at the moment.
I agree 100%. I would love the .357 model, but current needs for me is ammo you can stockpile large quantities of. Because I own a PMR 30 and 2 CMR 30s, I have a fair amount of 22wmr, so I might indulge myself with a Henry 22 mag just for fun.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts