does kt include a test fire rounds in new box?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by clint_lnl, Sep 5, 2010.

1. clint_lnl

clint_lnl New Member

May 30, 2010
    N C
    was wondering, all other gun I have got new the last few years have a test fire round with date in package. got a new P3AT and there was not one, was wondering is that normal ?

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    i didn't either, but that was several years back

3. Possumgravy

Possumgravy Guest

None of mine came with any.

4. 3wbdriver

3wbdriver Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Nov 2, 2005
    Louisiana
    Some states require it, some don't. The ones that don't may be discarding them instead of leaving them in the boxes. It's depended on which gun store I was buying in down here as to whether I got one or not.

5. WyoShooter

WyoShooter New Member

Nov 22, 2008
    I got two fired cases with my Rohrbaugh R9S and one with my Ruger LCP but none with any of my six KelTecs or Seecamp.

Ed

6. Checker4Tix

Checker4Tix Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2007
    None of my KT's ever came with a fired casing. Most other ones that came with guns of a different brand got tossed. I never understood their purpose.

7. 3wbdriver

3wbdriver Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Nov 2, 2005
    Louisiana
    Again some states require them for new gun sales and some don't.  IIRC the ones that do get one casing from each new gun sold for tracing purposes.  Something about the scratches made by the chamber on each case as well as the firing pin indentation being peculiar to each gun like a fingerprint.  There may well be 2 cases sent with each gun.  On that I just don't know.  I just remember most of what the guy told me 5 years ago when I asked about that empty at the gunstore.  They're not required in Louisiana so some stores discard them and some just pass them on to the customer. But now that you mention it I think my handguns had them but my rifles didn't. Hmmm?

8. rcmodel

rcmodel New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Eastern Kansas
    Fired cases are required for trace purposes in Kalifornication and Maryland, or Virginia, I forget which.

Kel-Tec's cannot be sold in the Great Republic of Fruit & Nuts, because they don't have manual safetys, or magazine safetys, or key ignition locks.

So they don't include the trace evidence empty cases not required by law in the other 48 free states.

rc

9. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    I wonder what the effects of polishing the chamber, the breach face and the firing pin have on the ability to identify

10. Cadapult

Cadapult New Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Kel-Tec not supplying a fired round with each pistol might explain why they're pretty hard to come by, at least where I live in NY.  Albany (the bastards) requires a fired case on file, so any pistol not supplied with one has to be fired by the State Police and the casing sent to Albany (where the bastards are).  The distributors have to pay to have this done, and take the time to do it. Low cost pistols = low profit margin = distributors not so keen on having it done.  Just try to find a Hi-Point pistol where I live.  Maybe you wouldn't *want* to find one, but even if you wanted to, you pretty much can't, thanks to Albany (home of the bastards).

The brilliant idea of a case as a fingerprint works so well because nobody could *ever* polish the chamber on their pistol, and replacement firing pins and extractors are both impossible to obtain and impossible to install by mere mortals.  I can't wait until the brain trust in Albany (did I mention they're bastards?) requires micro engraving of serial numbers on the tips of all firing pins, since it is a proven fact criminals do not know how to use sandpaper.  It was recently proposed in Albany, as a safety measure "for the children", to require all firearms, new and old, to be modified to have a minimum twenty pound trigger pull.  No joke.  When someone asked a proponent of the bill 'What about the elderly, who don't have the strength to pull a twenty pound trigger?" the reply was, in effect, "Tough sh*t".  November is coming, and I hope housecleaning gets done.

Sorry about the rant.  I live in a perfectly lovely state, it's just run by downstate morons.  And Kel-Tecs can be hard to find, and that makes me irritable.  >:(

11. Checker4Tix

Checker4Tix Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2007
    Shhh... Don't say that out loud. The basterds in Albany will outlaw the Fluff & Buff! ;D

12. clint_lnl

clint_lnl New Member

May 30, 2010
    N C
    now for another question.

Has a Fired case that is required for trace purposes in some states EVER been used to solve a crime?

13. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Actually, and I do know a little something about this, what happens is that when I get a firearm from the distributor and there is NO COBIS shells in the case, I call the local state police testing unit, and they send over an officer and take the gun to be COBIS tested. They test fire the gun, and return it with the shells in the envelope, and a statement with the firearm of the date, time, and testers name.

There has never been a fee for this service, that I have ever been charged. It just adds a week to the turn around time to put the gun out for sale.

And I usually wait until I sell the gun, then send it to be COBIS tested. Less paperwork on my part.

And if you want a hi-point, I know where there are 6 different ones for sale right now, and a whole lot of kel-tecs the last time I looked in the display case.

YMMV, believe or not. The choice is yours

14. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Nope. The system as implemented is a total and absolute failure. All it does is spend money. As is every other no good *** forsaken politician is good at in this state.

don't get me started on the rant...

15. Liberty4Ever

Liberty4Ever Moderator Moderator Supporter

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    I'm glad that this isn't yet another way to price gun ownership out of the reach of many people, but there most definitely IS a charge for this service. I doubt the police who do the testing volunteer to do it in their spare time, and even if they did, they would be the ones paying for the testing. I know your taxes are higher than mine, and it's needed to pay for big government nonsense like this. I know you know this, but I felt that I needed to post to make sure nobody thought the government in New York was doing free testing.

You seem to be discounting the possibility that the real purpose of the program is simply to spend tax dollars. Governments love spending tax dollars. It's what they do. It's how they grow and become more powerful. As long as government is growing, the best we can hope for is that they waste money on stupid stuff that doesn't infringe on individual rights, but usually they spend your tax dollars in a way that makes it more difficult, expensive and time consuming for you to buy a gun.

16. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Best stock up on sandpaper if you live in NY. It may be on Albany's ban list. ;D

17. Cadapult

Cadapult New Member

Aug 19, 2010
    A dealer I spoke with told me there was a charge to have the troopers fire the pistol and file the paperwork, and he had to make an appointment, etc. He may have been telling a story to try and boost the price of a pistol I had wanted him to order (not a Hi-Point  :)).

As far as what you have "in the case"; if you in the western part of NY I wouldn't mind stopping in to the shop to take a look.  The only Kel-Tecs that seem to be easily findable around here are the P-3AT's.  PF-9's and P-11's not so much.

18. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX
    central, actually.

and i stand by the fact that I have never been OPENLY charged NOR made an appt, I call them, they send someone to pick the gun up. they come to me and bring it back, not vice cersa

been that way for years. one more service NYS has for $crewing the people. if it cost me money, rest assured, I would pass that cost on.

19. Cadapult

Cadapult New Member

Aug 19, 2010
    RJ, I hope you don't think I'm questioning your honesty, because I'm not.  I'm only relating what I was told by a local shop I've had dealings with on and off for 20 years.  I know him well enough where I wouldn't put it past him to stretch the truth a bit.

Too bad you're in central NY, too much back-and-forth getting paperwork dealt with.  I miss the old days when they'd give permit holders another "permission  slip" when you added a new gun to the permit.

20. Tbone1964

Tbone1964 New Member

Jun 10, 2010
    kk to my knowledge 2 cses are sent with each pistol if and only if said state requires them, if the gun is manufactured in the US. If the gun is imported they MUST include 2 spent cases.. one or the state police nad one for any local LEO if they so require one this bill was passed in 2009 so if your gun is "new" and doesnt have one its because it was manufactured prior to 2009 or your state does not require one.