Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at the Kel Tec website, there are three 22 LR pistols and one 22 Magnum.
There is the CP33 (MSRP 550 USD), PMR30 (MSRP 545 USD) and the PLR22 (MSRP 440 USD). Then there is the fabulous P17 (MSRP 199 USD), my first Kel Tec firearm. From what I can find, Kel Tec has limited Engineering and production capacity. They are not even in the top 10 firearms producers by quantity per year.
The main reason I can see that Kel Tec would want to sell the P17 is because its price attracts customers who never would have bought from them anyway. Otherwise, from a financial perspective, the company can probably produce more income per firearm, from products other than the P17. Yes, fewer sales perhaps for the higher MSRP products but higher gross margin.

Seems like producing the P17 might not be priority for Kel Tec.

Thoughts?

Trigw

·
Registered
21 Posts
Kel-Tec is going to sell a bunch of P17s. It's just that everything else they produce is in such demand it's hard to make as many as the market wants.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good point Brett Baker. However, if Kel Tec can sell all the product they can produce, it seems like they would produce the highest MSRP products, if revenue/income is their goal. That's my point. If they are thinking of the future and market share, then producing the P17 will hurt competitors that cannot respond with a better solution (at this point nobody).
Trigw

·
Registered
608 Posts
Not sure, I could be wrong but I remember reading somewhere that KelTec produces each model in batches, only so many at a time, then shift to making other ones....so it's sporadic when they hit the market.

·
Registered
110 Posts
It definitely seems like they schedule re-tooling for batch production on a rotation, and they switch colors and model variants when the retooling happens. That's why we saw a burst of tan P17s hit shelves the last time.

I honestly don't think KT's sales plan is focused on prioritizing high MSRP first. The pattern seems to be just filling supply gaps on a rotation. They clearly have certain models that sell better than others, but the goal seems to be eventual availability rather than chasing demand. Everything they make sells after all.

Also, the company philosophy is fundamentally based on not being in debt, so overproduction or massive capacity increases aren't something they're gonna do. Better to be sold out than stuck with inventory and infrastructure you've paid ahead on that doesn't pan out. It's a recipe for longevity, but the downside is clearly that they piss off some segment of potential customers.

·
Registered
61 Posts
As noted, I think KT does their manufacturing in batches. When I wanted a P-17, my LGS said they hadn't seen them in months. A couple of months later they called me that they had one, and when I went in to get it, they had four in the case.

·
Premium Member
4,758 Posts
I've been seeing this exact same thread about Kel Tec production and their production choices since back when this forum as KTOG.org

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Reactions: Borderboss
1 - 7 of 7 Posts