Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

41 - 60 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Then there goes that theory. The gun is not able to shoot and it just came back from the manufacturer. Not more than 5 rounds. It’s so upsetting when I had high hopes for this at first.
No the spring does not pull it up or down. Thats good. That means its working as intended. You really dont want that part moving around on its own with what its job is.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Then there goes that theory. The gun is not able to shoot and it just came back from the manufacturer. Not more than 5 rounds. It’s so upsetting when I had high hopes for this at first.
So..uh..there have been at least 3 references from others about the gas setting of your rifle..and you have avoided answering either what setting its on or if you have set it for the ammo your using.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Setting was +13 for the PMC 147gr.
Please note that atmospheric conditions like ambient weather temperatures also affect how much gas is needed. In the winter, I would need anywhere from B+11 to +13 on M80 ball such as PMC to cycle correctly. On the other hand, 80F days in the summer require me to dial the gas back down to B+7 or +8 with the same ammo.

My piston is the latest version but I'm running mine without the rings. Your milage may vary, but before shooting the RFB after it's been sitting for awhile, I always confirm gas settings with firing a single round first. If it doesn't lock back, close the gas. If it locks back with more recoil than normal, open the regulator and test again.

This is not one of those rifles with a set-and-forget gas system. ARs can survive an over-gassed scenario better due to design. An over-gassed RFB on the other hand can quickly lead to cracked butt stocks or other damaged components. It's for this reason that the RFB is regulated to a range or hunting gun, and not something I'd use in defensive role.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Sounds like we both own a useless pile of junk. If a tactical gun can’t be used tactically then it’s worthless. It’s going back a second time. I’m sure I’ll get it back just as useless as when I first bought it.
Well
.if ya think its junk you can just give it to me.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I wish I could say the same for my one. The RFB design is very flawed and kel-tec knows it. That’s what makes them dishonest.
I dunno if id agree with that.. Id also throw out I live in the PNW (So it gets to below freezing and up to past 100 degrees) and I do frequently "Set and forget" my RFBs gas until I have someone at the range who wants to put their own ammo through it. Usually I just up my gas 5,(using factors brass cased ammo -surplus is another beast entirely) going from 168 to 150gr, so they have no issues.

I also have 3 adjustable "gas" guns.

·
Registered
396 Posts
From looking online, it seems like you are the exception not the rule.
Naw...theres 20,000 of these out there..The most vocal are the complainers...For those that it works fine one, they dont post here lol...SO even at 1% failure thats still only 200 guns..and that happens to most manufacturers.

Even the Military Arms Channel got his to work..Most people dont look for the update video.

·
Registered
396 Posts
That is usually the repercussions of a flawed product. Many ****ed off ppl.
I would advise anyone to stay away from companies like Kel-Tec. Especially during times like these, where there is more of a chance now than ever that you may be forced to use a firearm. You don’t wanna pick up a Kel-Tec in this day and age. That will make your wife at widow
Its certainly not a firearm id hand out to a beginner.

Naw..These are more complicated to build vs the RDB (its 556 lil brother thats been out 5 years)..Plus there was a very long time where these were damn hard to come by. I spent 2 years looking for one (at a price I was willing to pay).. Ive only been next to 1 other guy at the range with one of these (his was a Gen 2) and it went bang all the time, right next to mine.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Guy at my range said his Kel-Tec 2000 was garbage too. He said he found a very good gunsmith who is able to rectify the problem. Unfortunately the people who make the gun are not qualified enough to fix it. That is the strangest thing I’ve ever heard of
Def strange..
But I also talk to people in the facebook (more than "a guy at the range") who they send their guns back to keltec and comes back fine...so there is that...Some are def a problem when they were made and have to go back to be fixed....Others..really are operator error.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Def strange..
But I also talk to people in the facebook (more than "a guy at the range") who they send their guns back to keltec and comes back fine...so there is that...Some are def a problem when they were made and have to go back to be fixed....Others..really are operator error.
You use factory loads it reloads? I used PmC bronze 147

·
Registered
330 Posts
Sounds like we both own a useless pile of junk. If a tactical gun can’t be used tactically then it’s worthless. It’s going back a second time. I’m sure I’ll get it back just as useless as when I first bought it.
My RFB runs fine. The one and only malfunction I've experienced with it was a result of user error. Once you understand how it works as well as its limitations, it makes for a very portable 308.

If you wanted a 308/7.62 bullpup that would go bang every single time you pulled the trigger without having to futz around with gas settings, then this isn't the gun for you. You'd be better served with a Tavor 7. But, for the price, it's easy to look over some of the RFBs shortcomings.

I will say that my biggest disappointment with my particular RFB was its inability to suppress well. On the contrary, my RDB has become a fantastic little suppressor host that just runs and runs without issue. As such, I sold my RFB to a local for more than I paid for it.

I've been thinning the herd, so to speak, and getting rid of guns that don't get used often. The RFB unfortunately fell into that category.

I'm sorry to hear about your problems, and it's true that every manufacturer puts out lemons from time to time. KT's customer service and warranty program isn't the most responsive, but they usually get it right more often than not.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Its certainly not a firearm id hand out to a beginner.

Naw..These are more complicated to build vs the RDB (its 556 lil brother thats been out 5 years)..Plus there was a very long time where these were damn hard to come by. I spent 2 years looking for one (at a price I was willing to pay).. Ive only been next to 1 other guy at the range with one of these (his was a Gen 2) and it went bang all the time, right next to mine.
There's a reason why KT's are usually known as kit or tinkerer's guns. They often require the owner to invest more time in understanding how they work, and the ability to tinker with it should it not produce expected results.

I grew up shooting hard hitting battle rifles like the FAL and M1 Garand. I've owned everything from those just mentioned, to M14s, ARs, etc. The FAL has a very similar gas system in terms of operation to RFB so it was easy understanding how to get the KT to cycle properly. Unfortunately these days, a lot of people are merely appliance operators that demand something turn on or off without first reading the fraking manual.

·
Registered
396 Posts
You use factory loads it reloads? I used PmC bronze 147
I use everything in my 308's..and sometimes in others .308s (my buddies Scar)

I've been known to shoot:
Surplus (got some corrosive SnB)
Factory 147 to 175gr
(Pmc,federal,Remington,Winchester,Ppu,Tula*,Hornaday, Magtec)
All of the above have also been through my Rfb...And the reloads I've worked up in my Fal..So I shoot a bit of everything.

Pmc Bronze shot well just didn't group well in my rifle.

·
Registered
396 Posts
There's a reason why KT's are usually known as kit or tinkerer's guns. They often require the owner to invest more time in understanding how they work, and the ability to tinker with it should it not produce expected results.

I grew up shooting hard hitting battle rifles like the FAL and M1 Garand. I've owned everything from those just mentioned, to M14s, ARs, etc. The FAL has a very similar gas system in terms of operation to RFB so it was easy understanding how to get the KT to cycle properly. Unfortunately these days, a lot of people are merely appliance operators that demand something turn on or off without first reading the fraking manual.
Yup I agree with all ya said.
But everything I own I've had to tinker with a lil bit :p

Like you Ive shot all the modern battle rifles but really loved how the fal operated..Just couldn't bring myself to get an Osw (10inch barrel Fal) when in comes the Rfb on the scene..And because of the Fal and Rfb..I felt comfortable installing the KnS adjustable piston on my Ak. All of these are now super soft shooting :D

·
Registered
22 Posts

Obviously this gun is not

its not the gas that was the problem. The gas doesn’t make the trigger go in to safety mode in the middle of shooting.

·
Registered
330 Posts
@odinforever2000

I sold my STG-58 as well as three AKs (one Russian, the other a Bulgarian, and the last a Romanian) over the course of the past 2 weeks. I made some stupid stupid money with those since I bought all of those AKs about 20 years ago.

Took the cash and invested it in reloading station for 308 and 6.5CM. I have so many guns that my new philosophy isn't quantity, but quality. Out with many that didn't get used while retaining or purchasing only those that get actively cycled.

I've just started playing around with different OAL and powder charges. It's like a gigantic rabbit hole that never ends lol...

·
Registered
330 Posts
Obviously this gun is not

its not the gas that was the problem. The gas doesn’t make the trigger go in to safety mode in the middle of shooting.
Well trigger problems always suck. It's not a common issue with the RFB from what I can recall, but it wouldn't surprise me either given the complexity of the design. I would keep up with KT to make sure they fix it. Once fixed, you can either enjoy it for what it is, or sell it.

If you decide to just sell it, please don't be one of those guys who doesn't disclose a problem, especially with something as important as a trigger. You don't want to be responsible for something that could cause death or injury.

Look, if it makes you feel any better, I have two POF rifles. A P308 Edge and a POF Revolution in 6.5CM. Both are very expensive rifles with the Revolution costing over $2500. Both had to go back to POF on my dime for problems. They had my 308 Edge and Griffin suppressor for almost 3 months before it came back and it still wasn't running right. I ended up fixing the problem myself with a new 8.5oz buffer, Springco Orange buffer spring, and new ejector springs. Believe me when I say that I was pissed off. The Revolution also had problems that required a return to POF. Again, not a happy camper.

At the end of the day though, it's not worth getting upset about. Life's too short.

·
Registered
330 Posts
My buddy has the X95. It's a well built rifle but the trigger isn't great (RDB's better), and it shoots around 2 MOA. The X95 is also 556 or 9mm, not 308.

May I ask why you want a bullpup? If you want something compact that doesn't sacrifice velocity, then a bullpup is a good choice. If you just need something small for defensive reasons, then an AR pistol or SBR would be a good choice.

For 308 bullpups, you really only have 3 choices: RFB, Tavor 7, or MDT.

Bullpups are cool and definitely have a role, but I find the manual of arms to be a little awkward at times. It's just something one has to train through to develop proficiency.

At work, we mostly use AR pattern rifles so for me, it wasn't worth investing the time to really learn.

P.S. if you're not dead set on a bullpup, have a look at the POF Rogue. It's a 308 AR the same size as an AR-15 and weighs less than 6 pounds. They're going for about 1700-1800 at the moment.

41 - 60 of 88 Posts