Does anyone have an RFB that is as reliable as an AR?

Discussion in 'RFB High Efficiency Rifle' started by David Schmidt, Jun 30, 2020.

1. mark4Jesus

mark4Jesus Member

Nov 25, 2018
    Sale Creek, TN
    I had two issues with mine. First, I ordered 5 additional Thermold magazines from Kel-tec. With the one that came with it, that gave me 6, and 5 of the six had the follower get stuck in the bottom when fully loaded. Sent them back to Kel-tec and they sent me 5 new ones, no problems with the new ones. Second, it would not go into battery after about 2-3 rounds, happened with all of my mags, even some surplus FAL. Adjusted the gas from scratch and the problem was solved. I only run NATO, 147 grain, with brass case through it.

David Schmidt likes this.
  2. amstel78

amstel78 Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    My RFB has been stupid reliable with Thermold and FAL surplus mags. It's even been reliable suppressed albeit slightly over-gassed with the suppressor piston. The RFB's gas regulator leaves a lot to be desired as far as suppressed used goes, so it's been converted back to an unsuppressed platform. Other than that, no problems to report once the gas had been set for a particular load. Goes bang every single time without fail.

Now that I think about it, I don't believe I've ever had a single jam in this rifle. Then again, I grew up shooting FALs, so I knew how to adjust the system from the beginning.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020

3. odinforever2000

odinforever2000 Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2011
    Must be some magic with the Fals to the RFB. :D

4. slypaul

slypaul Member

Aug 2, 2019
    Huffman TX
    I'm not happy with my RFB reliability either, seldom get through a mag. Ammo is hard to find these days, even harder to find the same stuff each time. If I knew what tweaks to make I'd get started. Any suggestions besides gas valve?

5. odinforever2000

Oct 6, 2011
    I dunno about the gas pistond as I've never changed mine.

I have found that sticking to say, brass ammo in the same bullet weight (commercial not surplus) significantly reduces the need to adjust the gas

6. whynotthinkwhynot

whynotthinkwhynot Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2018
    My extractor was stiff before I manipulated it for about 30 mins when I first disassembled it. After my RDB piston locked up due to cauterized factory grease, I once again swore to never fire a weapon without cleaning it first, and so my RFB experience has been better.

To be clear, I am not accusing David of doing such, I’m just relaying my experience which is completely worthless except that I agree with everyone else that he needs to send it back because something the factory needs to fix is causing the problem.

Side note... my RFB24 is heavy enough for me not to want anything heavier. Hogs are now running from me when they hear me breathing 1/4 mile away.

7. Tuerai

Tuerai Member

Oct 20, 2018
    My RFB was more reliably than yours sounds even when it was broken. I overgassed it though, and ended up hammer apart the weld in front of the butt-plate and had to replace that part. I have been a little more careful since then, but mine works well with the factory plastic mag and with some steel surplus FAL mags I bought. I use it for deer hunting every year, and it has worked well for me.

odinforever2000 likes this.
  8. RickyM2

RickyM2 Member

Aug 23, 2020
    Well well... I see I’m not only one who has issues with the RFB. It jams every magazine. I just sent mine back after it LITERALLY fell apart on the charging handle in less than a week. I had to send it back.
    FF 2 weeks later, I get it back from Kel-Tec as “tested with no malfunctions”. I load in a magazine. First one. Ok. Second mag.. jams on the first round fired. Took it apart and did a quick clean and lube. Put it back together and 3 rounds later the trigger decides to stop working. It’s such a piece of garbage.
    I’m sorry for anyone else who bought one.

9. odinforever2000

Oct 6, 2011
    Um...the charging handle is one piece..Attached to the bolt carrier assembly..
    I had mine for 10 years and Ive never heard this issue.

But..you might also have a lemon..Idk..I wouldnt call them dishonest and They cant keep there guns from flying off the shelves.

10. RickyM2

RickyM2 Member

Aug 23, 2020
    Through the the slot where the charging handle slides, resides two steel plates that are welded. One popped off like a potato chip. I sent it back and I’m told it has been repaired, and it passed its inspection. I called and asked if they checked the issue with the double feeding. They said it will be tested and we won’t let it go until it’s functioning perfect. Ok.... it comes back and the the slide drags and won’t fully close unless I smack the charging handle. These are factory loads. PMC and Aguila.
    I get it back and it’s worse than when it went in. There’s no way this thing was tested before it left the place with no malfunctions.

I’m sure they’ll say “sure mail it back and we’ll take a look at it” which cost me a lot of money and time. It’s not cheap. I’ll wait another 2 weeks and get the same POS back with even new problems.

11. odinforever2000

Oct 6, 2011
    Ask them to send ya a video of it functioning (what ammo they tested with and what setting they used)..

What gas setting are you using and what bullet weight for PMC and Aguila (PMC works in mine but shoots like crap @ 150gr)

12. RickyM2

RickyM2 Member

Aug 23, 2020
    It doesn’t work at all. Maybe it’s that Spring loaded swing lever in the bolt. It looks like it should spring to one side or another. But it doesn’t. I wish this weren’t the case. I was very happy when I bought it. I’ve been miserable since it arrived.

13. odinforever2000

Oct 6, 2011
    The ejector arms? They just move up and down to deposit the spent case in the ejection chute.

Looks like the last time I was running PMC I was at B+8 for the gas setting..

14. RickyM2

RickyM2 Member

Aug 23, 2020
    Do those arms flip up and down like a light switch? Or is it supposed to recoil to one position if you let it sit free?

15. odinforever2000

Oct 6, 2011
    Yup..On either side of the bolt. They hold and deposit the spent case in the ejection chute (the move up and down).

16. RickyM2

RickyM2 Member

Aug 23, 2020
    So the spring doesn’t pull it up or down? It seems like it’s stuck and doesn’t move unless I push it with my finger.

17. odinforever2000

Oct 6, 2011

No the spring does not pull it up or down. Thats good. That means its working as intended. You really dont want that part moving around on its own with what its job is.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
  18. odinforever2000

Oct 6, 2011
    Have you gone through the process of adjusting teh gas system..

19. TwiztidS4

TwiztidS4 Active Member

Nov 16, 2019
    The gas system being incorrectly adjusted seems to be about 90% of the problems. The bad part is that in a bullpup this will break things quicker than a different platform.

odinforever2000 likes this.
  20. odinforever2000

Oct 6, 2011
    Yup (^What he said)..It barely has about 2 inches from the back of the bolt (far enough back to pick up a round) to the front part of the butt stock in the gun..So it has to be properly gassed for what your using or it will beat itself apart.