Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

Does anyone have an RFB that is as reliable as an AR?

14K views 87 replies 11 participants last post by  nashleigh 
I'm not happy with my RFB reliability either, seldom get through a mag. Ammo is hard to find these days, even harder to find the same stuff each time. If I knew what tweaks to make I'd get started. Any suggestions besides gas valve?
Well well... I see I’m not only one who has issues with the RFB. It jams every magazine. I just sent mine back after it LITERALLY fell apart on the charging handle in less than a week. I had to send it back.
FF 2 weeks later, I get it back from Kel-Tec as “tested with no malfunctions”. I load in a magazine. First one. Ok. Second mag.. jams on the first round fired. Took it apart and did a quick clean and lube. Put it back together and 3 rounds later the trigger decides to stop working. It’s such a piece of garbage.
I’m sorry for anyone else who bought one.

Through the the slot where the charging handle slides, resides two steel plates that are welded. One popped off like a potato chip. I sent it back and I’m told it has been repaired, and it passed its inspection. I called and asked if they checked the issue with the double feeding. They said it will be tested and we won’t let it go until it’s functioning perfect. Ok.... it comes back and the the slide drags and won’t fully close unless I smack the charging handle. These are factory loads. PMC and Aguila.
I get it back and it’s worse than when it went in. There’s no way this thing was tested before it left the place with no malfunctions.

I’m sure they’ll say “sure mail it back and we’ll take a look at it” which cost me a lot of money and time. It’s not cheap. I’ll wait another 2 weeks and get the same POS back with even new problems.

Ask them to send ya a video of it functioning (what ammo they tested with and what setting they used)..

What gas setting are you using and what bullet weight for PMC and Aguila (PMC works in mine but shoots like crap @ 150gr)
It doesn’t work at all. Maybe it’s that Spring loaded swing lever in the bolt. It looks like it should spring to one side or another. But it doesn’t. I wish this weren’t the case. I was very happy when I bought it. I’ve been miserable since it arrived.

Then there goes that theory. The gun is not able to shoot and it just came back from the manufacturer. Not more than 5 rounds. It’s so upsetting when I had high hopes for this at first.

No the spring does not pull it up or down. Thats good. That means its working as intended. You really dont want that part moving around on its own with what its job is.

There's a reason why KT's are usually known as kit or tinkerer's guns. They often require the owner to invest more time in understanding how they work, and the ability to tinker with it should it not produce expected results.

I grew up shooting hard hitting battle rifles like the FAL and M1 Garand. I've owned everything from those just mentioned, to M14s, ARs, etc. The FAL has a very similar gas system in terms of operation to RFB so it was easy understanding how to get the KT to cycle properly. Unfortunately these days, a lot of people are merely appliance operators that demand something turn on or off without first reading the fraking manual.
Obviously this gun is not
There's a reason why KT's are usually known as kit or tinkerer's guns. They often require the owner to invest more time in understanding how they work, and the ability to tinker with it should it not produce expected results.

I grew up shooting hard hitting battle rifles like the FAL and M1 Garand. I've owned everything from those just mentioned, to M14s, ARs, etc. The FAL has a very similar gas system in terms of operation to RFB so it was easy understanding how to get the KT to cycle properly. Unfortunately these days, a lot of people are merely appliance operators that demand something turn on or off without first reading the fraking manual.
its not the gas that was the problem. The gas doesn’t make the trigger go in to safety mode in the middle of shooting.

Worked out so well last time :quote:
I’m just hoping it’s all gonna be ok. But another piece of steel popped off on Monday. I didn’t mention it to anyone. It has to be a lemon. Could be a batch of bad steel. Who knows. I told them to please not send it back until it functions as advertised. I know there’s a gas adjustment for each ammo. That’s fine.

It’s not here.
Ok! Just came back for the 2nd time. This gun now works as advertised. It’s a freaking animal. You gotta tame it. The bolt and the bolt slide were bad and they must’ve just missed it.

I guess since I’m shooting cheap ammo I’m going to guess that’s why it’s not accurate at 200 yards. Most likely the ammo.

Yay!! Works gud!!!

Yes give it better ammo..
View attachment 51242
This was just zeroing that 3x optic (with a 2.7moa dot...) So yea..They can shoot well.
100y it was fine. When it went to 200 is where it opened up a lot. It’s the ammo. Let’s hope it holds up. Any cleaning tips on this? Plus I’m so confused as to how the sling goes on.

Every manufacturer puts out the occasional lemon from time to time. What separates them is how they fix the problems. While KT may not have the CS polish of some of the larger firms, experience has shown that they generally stand behind their products and work to correct any deficiencies when found.

Glad to hear that they got everything resolved for you.
I may go bankrupt if I don’t figure out how to reload for this gun.

Well I both agree and disagree with the above quote about reloading.

You absolutely can save money but the money you have save usually translates into shooting more..

Per round, especially comparing match ammo, the stuff you reload (unless you like loading just blaster ammo) is tuned for your gun and costs much less than same bullet weight match ammo (be that Federal, Hornaday ect)

You can make up the initial investment costs alot faster if your reloading handgun cartridges...Or simply by comparing ammo cost (again same bullet weight stuff) to current prices.

Also..I have found resizing brass that comes out of the RFB to be harder than out of my Fal to resize..
My problem was I was shooting the same before and after I reloaded, and I shoot long distance. I paid for my press after the first two days when I made 200 rounds. The Hornady Match 300WMs go for $2.50 each in stores, and that’s with 195gr. I reload 208gr which has a better bc for $0.75 and so far they’ve been perfect. I spent $250 for the press kit and $100 on the bench. So I saved $350 after 200 rounds which is the cost of the reloading equipment.

Well, I do concede the fact that reloading can save some money, especially if you shoot a lot like I do. But my time is also worth money. I reload primarily 308 and 6.5CM for precision, not bulk and the time spent developing loads is something I have to take into consideration.

But yes, after loading about 500 rounds of 308 and 6.5 using IMR4198 and H4350, Sierra MK projectiles, Remington primers, and my once fired brass, I've recouped the initial investment on the reloading equipment. I calculated it once and I believe it comes to roughly 40 cents per round (initial brass cost not included), versus 1.30 to 2 dollars per round for match grade factory ammo.

I recently ordered an RCBS summit press to use primarily for bullet seating. That should be here next week.
Haha. You have a collapsible bench too!! Here’s mine
Furniture Room Table Machine Desk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.