Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Second day out with this rifle about $400 350 rounds of ammunition down the tubes... finally got the gas set right for this particular bullet but apparently I have to do it if I get a different kind of round again... and I have yet to go through a 20 round mag without experiencing at least one and usually multiple Miss feeds or jams. In fact so many jams that it has damaged the ejection tray I had to use a needle nose pliers to put it back in shape so I can put the rifle back together again the 2 tabs on it bent because of rounds jamming into them routinely. I probably shouldn't write this right now because I'm at my wit's end, but this is a very expensive joke if this is supposed to be a real combat rifle. I was looking for one rifle that could do it all tactics hunting and do it reliably and that's why I went with this one... but I cant believe a company like Kel-Tec would sell this when it doesn't even work .. I'm not a newbie after 13 years on SWAT I have broken many AR out of the box and put them through their paces first day on the range with no problems what so ever ive been on the range for 8 hours dumping a 1000 rounds per training without cleaning and NO mis-feed ... if this gun does not do better it is just dangerous to carry into a fight ... Any one want to buy mine for $1400 bucks?

·
Registered
419 Posts
You could have a lemon..That happens from time to time with just about any manufacturer. If thats what it is send it back to Keltec and they will fix it right up.

Somethings that Id like to know about your second range session (first with accurate gas adjustment info).

What gas setting are you now on.
What brand and bullet weight are you using?
How many and what Magazines are you using?

Im curious..If I said my RFB was my "AR reliable" what would I have to do to prove it?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You could have a lemon..That happens from time to time with just about any manufacturer. If thats what it is send it back to Keltec and they will fix it right up.

Somethings that Id like to know about your second range session (first with accurate gas adjustment info).

Im curious..If I said my RFB was "AR reliable" what would I have to do to prove it?
Well im using 7.62x51 M80 PPU 19 145 grane, w the Kel Tec mags, (if there is a better mag ill buy it i haven't gotten any feedback on that so just using the factory mags) gas working best at+14. ... i may just need to keep trying i guess im spoiled by the AR that just works all the time, and I can't understand how a rifle any rifle heck every rifle on the market isn't as reliable, im NOT a "collector" This is my one rifle it needs to work all the time RELIABILITY is huge to me right now this rifle feels a little bit like a Harley-Davidson to me it looks really good but I don't want to be the guy on the freeway tweaking it every 10 miles if that's the case I'd rather have a Yamaha. I really want to make this work so any advice you can give would be great.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Im curious..If I said my RFB was my "AR reliable" what would I have to do to prove it?
I also noticed that it Miss feeds with a full mag? I've got 2 Kel-Tec mags, just 20 round mags but it won't feed a full mag. so far the best I've been able to do is 15 rounds in a MAG and of that I got off 14 before it jammed that's the best it will do so far.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Id try B+16 on a full.mag to see if there's any changes on reliability. Ive run 146gr ppu but I don't recall my settings for that. Winchester white box (the 150gr) needed to be a b+17 to cycle properly on my rifle.

The Thermolds from keltec (But not actually made by them) seem to work or not work.Sometimes it seems like they got a bad run of thermolds shipped to them and those are what are causing problems. None of mine are marked keltec but I do run thermold mags and they work (10 of them).

For new fal mags DsArms is where you can find them.The 20s are fine. I Have 4 of the 30 rounders but have never done a full mag dump out of those..
Sometimes surplus Fal mags are also a good choice.

I dont own a rifle that I didn't have to do something to (ars,aks,fals,hk91 clones) but it sound like your pretty close to being set..My Rfb goes bang evertime but I also stick to stuff that works on the same gas setting.10 years and still going.

That said..I do hand my Rfb off to people at the. Range who want to shoot it and have to quickly set the gun for what they use.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Id try B+16 on a full.mag to see if there's any changes on reliability. Ive run 146gr ppu but I don't recall my settings for that. Winchester white box needed to be a b+17 to cycle properly on my rifle.

The Thermolds from keltec (But not actually made by them) seem to work or not work.Sometimes it seems like they got a bad run of thermolds shipped to them and those are what are causing problems. None of mine are marked keltec but I do run thermold mags and they work (10 of them).

For new fal mags DsArms is where you can find them.The 20s are fine. I Have 4 of the 30 rounders but have never done a full mag dump out of those..
Sometimes surplus Fal mags are also a good choice.

I dont own a rifle that I didn't have to do something to (ars,aks,fals,hk91 clones) but it sound like your pretty close to being set..My Rfb goes bang evertime but I also stick to stuff that works on the same gas setting.10 years and still going.

That said..I do hand my Rfb off to people at the. Range who want to shoot it and have to quickly set the gun for what they use.
awesome thanks for the help ill keep working on it.... Is there s better / best round + grane for the rfb?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Ill have to do the calibration process on my next range trip as I have acquired 500 m118lr and rezero my optics for that round..So I totally get your frustration.

My Current setting is B+13 using 168 Hornaday Amax ELDs (Factory and some handloads) and 168gr Magtech Snipers

Other Facebook polled settings (not my rifle)
B+14 with 168gr Fed GMMK
B+15 with 147gr Hirtenberger surplus 7.62x51 NATO
B+15 for 130 grain bullets pushed by 45 grains of IMR-4895.
B+16 clicks 168 grain Armscor ammunition and 165 grain polymer tip hand loads.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I love my RFB but if I was going to spend 1400 on one id just pony up another 250 and grab the Tavor 7.
Why? Its not a military weapon and from what I've read..Doesn't run steel cased ammo...Starts life as THE heaviest modern bull pup in the market.. Its 1:12 twist rate is not know for the best accuracy for the price point it occupies ($2k).

You can find RFBs for 1 to 1.2k (new) and as a 308 bullpup, certainly the cheapest bullpup out there in that caliber. The only things the T7 has over the RFB is the SR25 pattern mags (I like my fal mags better) and a simplified gas system.

Where are you getting Magtech Snipers? It's all dried up over here...
Local gun store

·
Registered
76 Posts
For the $800 I paid for a new RFB including the hard case I would go that route all day. I’ve been completely satisfied with mine. However the guy was talking about being SWAT and that he apparently paid 1400 for his. If you are going to pay that kind of money I think it’s stupid not to throw another 250
and get the Tavor. The Tavors are clearly heavier duty.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
For the $800 I paid for a new RFB including the hard case I would go that route all day. I’ve been completely satisfied with mine. However the guy was talking about being SWAT and that he apparently paid 1400 for his. If you are going to pay that kind of money I think it’s stupid not to throw another 250
and get the Tavor. The Tavors are clearly heavier duty.
Thanks for the advice... I was on SWAT for 13 years I'm a master operator retired now... I wanted a rifle that could be the all in one hunting and tactical battle rifle Kel Tec is an American company so always my first go to, it wasn't the money it was Loyalty to US companies that drove me as well as several good reviews. Which is partly why I'm so disgusted with this rifle ... How can it even be marketed and sold when it doesn't work or works so poorly (now I'm finding TONS of videos and reviews the same as mine ... I wish they would have popped up before I bought it) is this a quality control issue or poor design its a Gen 2 shouldn't all the bugs have been worked out by now ?? I'm a cabinet maker as well and I'd be ashamed to put my name on a cabinet of the same quality as this rifle ... I'm sending it back to Kel Tec today to give them a chance to fix the problems, but if this rifle doesn't run when it comes back its getting returned & I will take your advice and buy an actual battle rifle, not one that apparently just looks like a battle rifle. It really sucks when American companies push crap products I live under the idea that ANYTHING that is made should be made better in America ... what the hell KelTec? anyway sorry for the rant just frustrated I've also had issues with accessories I purchased for this rifle so Kel tec is working themselves into my never again list.

·
Registered
419 Posts
As disgusted as you are, I'd point out the people who have responded to you do have working rifles form gen 1 to more recent gen 2s..

95% of the failures I've seen are mal-adjusted guns. Another 3% seem to be related to Thermolds.

Again..It sounds like you got a lemon and I'm sure Keltec will fix ya up.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I think Keltec will try and make it right. I think the best battle rifle in 308 would be the Scar but that ends up being double the money of your RFB even with the Mil/LE discount (which is definitely worth the couple month wait).I also am of the same mindset that American companies should make better stuff than most other countries and I’m willing to pay for that.

·
Registered
76 Posts
To be fair though, I’ve had to work on atleast 20% of mine and my buddies firearms right out of the box to get them to function properly. I’d say 20% need to be tweaked right off the bat and atleast 95% of firearms can be made better if you spend a couple hours working on them.

·
Registered
419 Posts
To be fair though, I’ve had to work on atleast 20% of mine and my buddies firearms right out of the box to get them to function properly. I’d say 20% need to be tweaked right off the bat and atleast 95% of firearms can be made better if you spend a couple hours working on them.
That has been my experience (most guns cam be made better if you work on them)

Shot a scar last weekend. Wasn't really anymore accurate with the 175gr I brought than the cheaper 308s I also shot that day (Fal and Rfb).

Couple things to keep in mind on the SCAR:
it does destroy expensive scopes,
trigger is horrid from the factory,
if the charging handle breaks..your gonna wait a while for replacement parts.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The Scar isn’t a tack driver. I believe it’s around 2MOA which is good enough for a DMR. If you want a tack driver I’d just build an AR10.

·
Registered
419 Posts
The Scar isn’t a tack driver. I believe it’s around 2MOA which is good enough for a DMR. If you want a tack driver I’d just build an AR10.
2 moa or less is what I get for My Rfb

We got a 4 moa group (20 shot 2 diff shooters) with M80 ball using the scar and 6 inches in elevation difference between the m80 and m118lr

1 - 20 of 88 Posts