Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I tried a Houge Handal Jr. on my P3AT and I thought it printed too much in my front pocket. I took it off recently.

I'm going to try the Uncle Mike's small auto instead and see how much that prints.

I was surprised that I was able to handle the recoil with or without the slip on grip, so I'm going without for now. However, if the UM adds some comfort without much more bulk, I might use it.

How about you guys?

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
i use the uncle mikes small, but it required a little bottom trimming.

it does not print as much because it does not have the palm swells the hogue had.

and the small also has no finger grooves.

fwiw.

·
Registered
465 Posts
No, but I used too. I decided that the main purpose of my P3AT was as my always gun and should be carried as designed and do without any extras for comfort at the range. The only thing extra on my P3AT is the belt clip for occasional IWB carry.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I just put on the houge but two things happened, it slides off after a few rounds and I clip it using belt clip on inside of pants. The grip snags when drawing so I havent taken it off main due to the fact that I superglued the damn thing on. O well, live an let learn.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I used to use a hogue slip on, but after doing some tests, I discovered that even though the rubber grip was more comfortable, I was just as fast and just as accurate without it.

It's also easier to conceal without the rubber grip.

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
Tried the HH Jr once for a while but it is just not a good fit and adds too much bulk, IMO. I now use the UM Small Auto and like it just fine.

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
Rufus Wallaby said:
Wow. So far the poll is 50/50.
A lot of folks like the minimalist approach and want to keep the P3 as small and light as possible. I totally understand. I find that the UM grip adds little. It is thicker than a bike tube and has a stippled grip but does not add the bulk of the HH Jr.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I tried both Houge Handal Jr and the Pachmayr and did not like them on the P-3AT - I used the Pachmayr on my PM9 and the HHJ on my Hi-Point 40 S&W carbine.

I did not know that UM made a grip that would fit.

I use a tube grip on the P-3AT - and it works fine.

I shoot 100-125 rounds through the P-3AT when I go to the range - I think that if I shot this many times without some type of protection my hand would be sore. I feel that since I use a grip at the range - and am accustom to it - that that is the way I will carry it.

G

·
Might just be the luck of the draw etc or just me but I always shoot my 380 at the range with a fingerless bicycle riding blove. The palm is padded enough to cut recoil down big time and the fingers are open to give complete feel of the trigger. Most wal-marts have them for under 10 bucks, every bike shop carrys them. Most motorcycle riders use the leather fingerless gloves for riding and like them. The bike gloves are usually made out of nylon or some material similar. Works great for me and me bing left handed, a pair works for me and for my wife when shooting. I have never complained about recoil on any of my 380, course one is ported and the other is not but I shoot with a glove on all of them and the combination works great.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Another suggestion, similar to jocko's, is a weightlifting glove, which you can also buy at Wal-mart for less than $10. It has a bit of padding in the palm area, which helps with recoil. For longer range sessions with hot ammo, this could make for a more pleasant experience. Personally, I like the small Pachmayr grip, inverted, which fits like a glove and has little bulk; it can easily be removed for pocket carry. It's very similar to the UM. Like TxCajun, I never liked the Hogue because of the palm swell and additional thickness, which hinders concealment.

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
kraigster414 said:
For those interested, Tex's Uncle Mikes grip (pictured above) is sold under the Butler Creek name.  If you have been searching under UM and came up short-handed, that's the reason.  Try "Butler Creek."
Looks like BC makes them but mine said Uncle Mike's Small Auto on the package and can be found here and other places with the UM name. Probably BC sells them under their name too, I haven't seen them yet:

http://www.uncle-mikes.com/adtempla...3&subcatky1=4548794&subcatky2=3036920

·
Registered
81 Posts
Does the grip make it harder to draw the pistol from a pocket holster?

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.