I voted YES cause I'm gonna paint mine.

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
They have sights? ;D

·
Registered
585 Posts
The hard chrome did not need it, but the blued gun works better for me with the sights painted white.

In fact, the greater ease of seeing the shiney hard chrome sights inspired me to paint the other one.

TucsonMTB . . . who has old eyes

·
Premium Member
1,260 Posts
The sites are just about non-existent.
Each of my different kT guns has greatly different sight alignment.
None with level alignment.
Point shooting seems to give the best quickest results.
But I tried white. ???
Probably will try white on rear and red or flo orange on the front. ::)

·
Registered
268 Posts
I have a flourecent green on the front sight only. Makes a HUGE difference, compared to my friends new one w/out.
The P3AT points very well for me, so in a real world situation, I would feel comfortable not using them. But it makes practice alot easier, and makes me feel better if I do need them. Keeping as many options as possible.
I just can't see any reason not to do it. It's only 2-3 bucks.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Painting the sights helps at the range - or when you are using the gun to shoot targets like a coke can - it also  helps when you are first  learning to shoot. (the Kel-Tec)

I used a toothpick to put a dot of white on the front sight  - left the back stock.

But many use the P-3AT as a self defense / concealed carry gun  - you could even say this is what the gun was designed for - so when used in a self defense situation - like someone is trying to stab you with a knife - or is trying to mug you - they will be so close that you will be better off just pointing and shooting - because you will have NO time to mess with lining up a shoot. Which IMO means you should spend part of your practice time shooting at very close targets - and just pointing and shooting - like a reflex.  This type of shooting may not be as much fun as picking off a soup can at 50 feet - but it could be much a more important skill to have.  

·
Registered
18 Posts
I painted mine with flourecent green on the rear and flourecent orange on the front. It allowed me to shoot a better group at 7 yards, and made it somewhat quicker to get on target with rapid reflex close range shooting at 3 yards.

·
Registered
81 Posts
z71bill said:
Which IMO means you should spend part of your practice time shooting at very close targets - and just pointing and shooting - like a reflex.  This type of shooting may not be as much fun as picking off a soup can at 50 feet - but it could be much a more important skill to have.  
Amen! The first time I tried to do a quick draw from the holster and semi-controlled double tap I couldn't see the front sight to reference and wound up with a hit in the neck and second shot took out the clothespin holding the target :eek: and that's with my glasses on under bright lights.

In the dark, unprepared, without glasses I'd need something to focus on unless the BG is right on top of me.

·
Registered
858 Posts
On blue slides, I have tried every paint from White Out to car touch up. The best by far, the brightest, thickest, and must wear resistant is:

Rust-Oleum Touch-Up Paint (white) sold at WalMart and many hardware stores. It is used primarily to touch up appliances and comes in a small bottle. You do need to let it dry overnight however but it's worth the wait. Apply with the end of a paper clip or toothpick. Make sure the surface of the slide is free of grease before you apply the paint. A little rubbing alcohol does the trick.

·
Registered
357 Posts
turbosupra1313

Since the P-3AT is so small & has a very long trigger pull - some shooters (even ones that are very good shots with other guns) may experience some issues - shooting low would be a common problem.

It is possible that your gun shoots low - but you could be letting your wrist break down while you are pulling the trigger. It does not take much to drop the point of impact 7 inches - even at 10 feet.

Try using a firm push pull type grip - and really focus on not letting your wrist break down while you pull the trigger. Or - you could put a snap cap in the gun and see if the gun is still on target after you pull the trigger.

The reason I know this is because I had similar problems when I first started shooting the P-3AT - only I was off by a few FEET.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Orange on the front, white on the rear. Testors from wally-world. Helps a little as I wear tri-focals. I found that I see my target clearly, but gun is out of focus (blur) because I do not take the time to adjust glasses up or down. So the orange dot helps. Range Video at this url [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zt3H194Adrw[/ame]

Be kind with comments. Pants are too tight for quickdraw.

·
Banned
7,638 Posts
turbosupra1313 said:
I dont think it would even help me to paint my sights, the gun shoots so far below the factory set sights.  at 10 feet its about 7 inches low.... :'(
Dry fire practice with snap cap in chamber. Watch your muzzle at trigger let-off. You will find that the muzzle drops when the hammer falls.

Practice until sights stay on target when trigger is pulled. You will be AMAZED by how much your accuracy improves.

Packer.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
+1 Good advice from Packer. You should listen to a man who shoots a gun in each hand. You have to figure that he has twice as much experience as those of us that shoot only one gun at a time. ;D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.