Do you own a larger CCW gun in addition your P3AT?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Thatguy331, May 19, 2008.

1. Thatguy331

Thatguy331 New Member

Oct 30, 2007
    Just curious if folks own a larger CCW gun than the P3AT for use when its colder out and easier to conceal a larger pistol.

If so, what do ya have?

I've seriously been considering picking up a P11 for the winter months when I'd carry it in an inside jacket pocket instead of pants pocket carrying a P3AT.

2. RAT76

RAT76 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma
    Re: Do you own a larger CCW gun in addition your P

P40, IWB

[​IMG]

3. Re: Do you own a larger CCW gun in addition your P

Hey that guy......  the simple answer... yes.

Once I got used to the 3AT, I began to realize that I can carry much more powerful options than the 3AT.  For me, it was trial and error to see what fit.

As for the question, what do I have......   PM me a list of the guns you think might be considered CCW types, and I may or may not confirm what I do or do not have!   BTW .. If I ever did have it, I probably sold it at a garage sale.

4. riverkeeper

riverkeeper New Member

Aug 30, 2006

SW 44 Mag for open and concealed carry in AK wilderness ... those big bears ya know.

SW 44 special snub no longer carry ... spouses bedroom gun.

SW 357 my bedroom gun.

SW 38s sometimes carried ... stashed in house locations

P3ATs carried

5. quickmick7

quickmick7 New Member

Oct 24, 2006
    south florida

P11,Charter Arms 44 and 357,S&W model 36.....sometimes i feel like wifey when she has to pick out her shoes or purse!

6. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006

Guns? :eek: I thought this place was about roses and gardening???

-Scott

7. roland45

roland45 New Member

May 16, 2008

Para Ord P12 45acp, steel frame. In a galco Miami classic shoulder holster.
    Once I have had a chance to get used to the P3At, I will retire the P12 to the night stand.
    I love my P12, but with 12 rounds of 45 in the mag, and 24 rounds in the mag holders,
    the rig is heavy to carry for long periods of time when im on my feet.
    Sitting on a bar stool, or in my truck for short trips to get gas or a pack of smokes, it carrys very well.
    Some one once said that it will be the gun you are carrying that may save your life, and not the gun thats at home because its to heavy or uncomfortable. Thats why i purchased the P3AT.
    Roland

8. Sangueffusor

Sangueffusor New Member

May 13, 2007
    Indiana

P-11 and S&W Model 13 3".

9. Dreadnought

Dreadnought New Member

Jul 23, 2007

• GLOCK 30 (.45ACP, 10+1 rounds) in CompTac Spartan IWB (slide model)
    • S&W 642 (.38SPL, 5 rounds + 6 round Bianchi SpeedStrip) in Uncle Mike's Size 36 IWB
    • GLOCK 21 (.45ACP, 13+1 rounds) in CompTac Spartan IWB (same unit as above)
    • Taurus PT1911 (.45ACP, 8+1 rounds) in High Noon Mr. Softy IWB

I highly recommend the Spartan from CompTac. I tried a lot of other holsters (I have the prerequisite Box-O-Holsters to prove it) and should have listened to all of the praises regarding the CompTac much earlier. I advise saving $16 and buying the Spartan over the MTAC, etc. as the holster is perfectly comfortable without the extra soft leather backing.

High Noon makes fantastic holsters and the Mr. Softy model is a holster they keep in stock so you will not have to wait weeks and weeks.

On the cheap, I would encourage you to look at www.jmgholsters.com. His work is very high quality, the wait time is not too long, the prices are great and the owner/craftsman is a first-class individual!

10. GlenVA

GlenVA New Member

May 5, 2008

GLOCK 26, 17, and 23 with a 357 Sig barrel. The 17 and 23 get carried CCW in the winter with either a Sig Tac jacket or CQC holster. I also open carry a lot here in VA so the CQC gets used a lot. This holster is great and the Sig jacket is actually warmer then the Carhart I wear at work.

11. Thatguy331

Thatguy331 New Member

Oct 30, 2007

How concealable is the Glock 30? I wouldn't mind getting a 10+1 gun in a large caliber if its still somewhat concealable, to balance out my CCW guns (opposite my 6+1 small caliber P3AT)

12. gbm5170

gbm5170 New Member

Mar 7, 2006

Well your P-3AT was an excellent start.  I advise getting a P-32 or P-3AT as your very first carry gun and then once you get the hang of it you can then move up to a larger gun when carry conditions allow.  I personally never recommend that someone get their big gun first.  I'd hate to think that the big gun turns out to be too much for daily carry and becomes a safe queen - and worse - the citizen is totally turned off by concealed carry and just stops altogether or rarely carries.  A P-3AT or P-32 should be your 'always' carry and beats the pants off the gun that you leave at home.

Whenever I hear someone say, you should never carry anything less than such and such...I think to myself...where is yours then...at home in the safe?  A lot of good it does you there!

So anyway, to get back on track...other than the P-3AT.. I've got a P-40 for concealed carry (might switch over shortly to the P-357 Sig).  The next size up is my PLR-16 so you could say I have a few gaps to fill.  I'll eventually get a PF-9 for those times when the P-40 is too unconfortable.  Anything larger than the P-40 would probably not be carried much (concealed) but I'd consider owning a full-sized pistol or two for the glove-box and home defense.

13. gpr

gpr New Member

Jan 6, 2005
    north palm beach

my coat gun is masterpiece mac 930, with 30 round sten....to bad there are not more coat days in florida....gpr

14. Thatguy331

Thatguy331 New Member

Oct 30, 2007

No worries there, I already have a P3AT!

Too bad the P40 is no longer in production, it sounds like something I'd be interested in.

I'm thinking of picking up a P11, as I'd like to get at minimum a 9mm handgun with 10rds.

15. artimus_prime

artimus_prime New Member

Nov 18, 2007
    Central FL

P3. It don't get cold down here. And, I'm too skinny to conceal much of anything else.

16. batwell

batwell New Member

Feb 23, 2008

KAHR CW9. Charter Undercover 38spc :)

17. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007

Sold a Taurus PT111 which will shortly be replaced by a Glock 26 (thanks to my $600.00 economic insentive). P3AT will likely always get 80% + of my carry time.

Take care...

18. gvaldeg1

gvaldeg1 New Member

Feb 8, 2008

You know Thatguy331, you may be fairly new to this forum and may not have seen the Buffalo Bore tests in the P3AT.  These may give you a little different opinion on what constitutes a "minimum" CCW gun.  I always thought that 9 mm was a pretty good general "minimum" and 40 S&W was even better.  Take a look at these test results:

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1202857757

After seeing these results and looking a several other tests, which the good people on this forum have provided for a myriad of P3AT loads (thanks again to all of you testers), I have come to the conclusion that the P3AT is a perfectly adequate defense weapon.  One of the conclusions of the BB pork ribs tests was "The P3AT with BB Gold Dot is a formidable defensive weapon - penetrating almost 14 inches of plaster with a half inch+ diameter wound path after going through denim and rib cage. Compare the P3AT with BB Gold Dot at 236 ft lb actual measured energy with a S&W Snub Nose 38cal +P Double Tap Gold Dot at actual measured 199 ft lb. I'll take the P3AT any day."  I keep my P3AT loaded with 7 BB Gold Dots but it looks like the 102 gr Golden Sabers also perform quite well in the P3 and they'd be my second choice.  It was 109 degrees in Phoenix today...so it's shorts and tee short weather for sure and the P3AT is my primary CCW.  My second choice for CCW is my Taurus 605SH2 16-ounce Titanium .357 Magnum.  It's pretty small but the P3 beats it by a bunch when it comes to concealability.

19. quickmick7

quickmick7 New Member

Oct 24, 2006
    south florida

at the rate we're going here in se florida people who carry will probably end up looking like Rambo

20. haugrdr

haugrdr Super Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach

In addition to my P3AT I have a P11 and a PF9, and a Colt Detective .38...all used for CCW. I also keep a Colt Defender Plus .45 in the saddlebag of my bike...just in case.

Rick