Do you carry your p3at with 1 in the chamber??

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by supervirgil, Jul 31, 2009.

1. supervirgil

supervirgil New Member

Jul 15, 2009
    Just like the title says do you carry with one in the hole??? i am a new CCw peermit holder, and I am wondering how you carry it?

2. drg-racr

drg-racr New Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Yes...These little guns and many others with the long heavy dual action triggers are meant to be carried with one in the chamber. If you ever need to use it chances are you won't have time to rack one in it. It is very safe as long as you are careful and holster it in a way that protects the trigger.

3. vn6869

vn6869 New Member

Jul 31, 2009
    It seems keeping one in the chamber would be the most likely waya to go. Haven't had the need yet to test it,
    but it does seem impractical to have to stop and jack the slide.

Just IMHO, being a newbie and all. ;D

4. nmshooter

nmshooter New Member

Jan 25, 2008
    Yes.

But whatever you decide make sure you are consistent. Nothing like reaching for your piece and stop and wonder...is it loaded?

5. frankalm

frankalm New Member

May 29, 2009
    Of coarse!! One in the chamber at all times!! In all my guns 24/7

6. Bobo

Bobo Active Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
  7. supervirgil

supervirgil New Member

Jul 15, 2009
    i am thinking this is the way I am going to go. i just was not sure about say using the belt clip, and having it in my pocket. i guess holstered would be allright. i have always practiced booger hook off the bang switch, but I just wanted to get a consensus from other ktog'ers

8. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Here is another post with discussion (click on Quote from ...)

9. rjwiggall

rjwiggall New Member

Jul 28, 2009
    I carry one in the chamber as well. I was nervous about it at first, but then I stripped my gun down and realized how hard it would be to actually fire one without intentionally pulling the trigger (DAO, half cocked, firing pin completely recessed until it's hit with enough force from the hammer being pulled all the way back, etc.), that I stopped worrying about it.

FYI - Mine came with a belt clip on it (got it from a buddy) and when I tried to carry it clipped in my pocket it was harder to take out clipped than it was with the pocket holster I bought! Maybe it's just the pants I wear, but I prefer a pocket holster to a clip anyday, especially since it also covers the trigger.

10. abuck50

abuck50 New Member

Aug 21, 2008
    NW Ohio
    If you are going to have one in the chamber, have it in a holster that protects the trigger. Didn't you hear about Plaxico Buress? There is NO safety on a P3AT or Glock. If the trigger gets pulled by anything it WILL go BANG!!! When I bought my P3AT the shop owner was trying to sell me a belt clip. While demonstrating it, the dropped it down his pants. I said no thanks and bought holsters. I always carry with one in the chamber. If I am attacked, I may be fending off a knife with one hand while drawing my gun. That is not the time to rack the slide. Just be sure to keep the trigger protected and keep your finger off the trigger till you fire the weapon.

Craig

11. Robert357

Robert357 New Member

May 11, 2009
    WA, the State
    Absolutely yes! The P3AT is far safer than most handguns to be carried with one in the chamber.

I have other handguns that I am reluctant to put one in the chamber until I get to a specific destination. My KelTek P3AT has one in the chamber and a full magazine worth of rounds as well. It is all ready to go, when called upon.

12. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Do you drive your car with gas in the tank?

Do you go shopping with some sort of currency to buy what you need?

If so, then why would you not carry with one in the chamber...please, mr. badguy, wait while I rack my weapon....

yeah right.

always loaded. and I ALWAYS have ammo for it.

13. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX
    IF you are reluctant to carry it with one in the chamber, then you should not be carrying it.

what is the difference if you carry it loaded at your destination or loaded on the way there....what about a car jacking? please wait while I chamber this round mr. bad guy.....

14. krunchnik

krunchnik New Member

Jul 28, 2009
  15. dacbeth

dacbeth New Member

Jul 22, 2009
    [highlight]Yes[/highlight]

16. Cubriver_Kid

Cubriver_Kid New Member

Aug 8, 2008
    The only time my p3at doesent have a round in the chamber, is when I am cleaning it, or when I'm reloading it, period.

17. StanSimmons

StanSimmons New Member

Jul 8, 2009
    If it doesn't have a round in the chamber, then it is a fairly light weight rock.

18. tommyray

tommyray New Member

Sep 2, 2008
    +1

SD situations happen in a split second. If you want a rock, carry a rock. No special permit or license required in any jurisdiction. If you want to protect yourself, live round chambered is the ONLY way to go. As mentioned previously, carry in a holster where the trigger is covered, and don't put anything else in that pocket. (if a pocket carry) I always carry my P3 in pocket holster or wallet holster. If I want IWB or OWB carry, I carry my PF-9. I figure that if I am wearing outside pockets, may as well as have the increased firepower. I also have pocket holsters for my PF if I have large pockets. Nice thing about having both. CHOICES!

Virgil, Welcome to KTOG! Enjoy your new little friend.
    tr

Virgil,

19. Dugger

Dugger New Member

Jun 9, 2009
    one in the chamber in all my guns, carry in a wallet holster or with the clip, depends on the pants. with the clip check your state carry laws some states require it to be in a holster

20. scotthsi

scotthsi New Member

Jul 27, 2009
    I have two well broken in 2nd gen P3ATs and I carry with one in the chamber. It is NOT hard at all to have a hang up when hand chambering the first round. I never have a problem when firing, but when I reload after shooting/cleaning, if that first round is going to take a nose dive and/or hang up on the feed ramp, I want it to be under controlled conditions where I can re-rack the slide again...and not be under stress like I'd be if I needed it and didn't have a round chambered.