Do I really need a P-3AT? Yes I do/did!

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by HOUSER52, Jul 3, 2010.

1. HOUSER52

HOUSER52 Active Member

Jun 17, 2010
    Well, I've had my little P32 for a couple of weeks now. It has fired 300 trouble free rounds and I have more ammo on the way. The more I shoot it the better I like it.
    The Kel Tec pocketgun bug has got me because I'm now considering getting a P3AT too. It would not be a replacement but an addition.

I guess my question is how many of you guys have both and which one gets carried the most? Is there really a reason to justify having both?

2. autobahn

autobahn New Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Re: Do I really need a P-3AT?

Do you NEED two hands? No, but it sure is nice to have two.

I only own the P-3AT but I have been considering adding a PF9 for some time now.

Size wise, the P32 and P3-AT are the same so if you can handle the recoil of the P3AT why not carry that instead?

3. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005

the P3AT is for everday carry in a K&D 2n1 bifold wallet
    where the p32 is for special occasions in a K&D wallet (when I like that just a little bit thinner, mainly from holster ;) )

4. Picatinny_Pete

Picatinny_Pete New Member

Sep 2, 2009

Hi,

There is a difference between the P3AT and P-32 and I carry the P-32 more often, lately with the +1 Magazine extension. My take is though the difference in size is small it is noticeable between the two pistols. I like the PF-9 too, and the P-32 complments it better as it has the same manual of arms, i.e. hold open, etc. I just cant see complicating things to accommodate the P3AT with the lower mag capacity, and a different manual of arms.

Best Wishes

5. diamond

diamond New Member

Jan 18, 2010

Do you need air to breathe?

Do you need food to eat?

Or water to drink?

My friend...come...sit down and let us talk. :)

6. HOUSER52

HOUSER52 Active Member

Jun 17, 2010

This was kind of my idea of thinking, have the 3AT to carry everyday at work interacting with the public and the P32 for weekend carry when dining out with the wife, running errands, or any place I would need to be a little more discrete.
    I tried concealing my Kahr P9 some last winter while at work but even using a Sparks IWB it was almost impossible to conceal completely without having to wear a jacket or some other cover garment plus it looked odd wearing a jacket indoors.

7. herbertj

herbertj New Member

Feb 1, 2009

yes keep the p32 buy thep3at and soon after that you will get the pf9. thats what happened to me.

8. Re: Do I really need a P-3AT?

NEED does not often enter the equation when I buy a gun.

I have a p32 and a 3AT. The P32 has NEVER been a carry gun for me. The 3AT is often in my pocket, but it is for those situations that I need to be more discreet, most often when I am doing re-modeling work.

Once I started carrying the I found that I can carry a larger gun than the 3AT and still be discreet in most situations. 99% of the people never look at you closely to notice. I even carry openly on a somewhat regular basis. (Yeah Louisianan Constitution!). While carrying open, I get very few double looks, and even fewer comments.

I guess I am saying if the only reason you do not have a 3AT is because you think it is to big, don't worry- you will find ways to wear it concealed.

9. WesKCMO

WesKCMO New Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Kansas City, Missouri

I've always liked the P3AT... never even owned a P32, but I have owned several P3AT's. I have shot several P32's and enjoyed them as well. I have just always thought if you can handle it and you can get more gun in the same package and for the same price... why not? So I always walked past the P32 and picked up the P3AT at the LGS.

On a sidenote: the .380 is the minimum caliber round I would carry for self defense. That's just me. I'm sure the 32 will make someone just as deceased as the .380 would. Most people will tell you the 32 has similar ballistics, but the .380 makes me feel better.

10. mcinil

mcinil New Member

Feb 8, 2010

Yes you need both. :)

11. PshootR

PshootR Banned

Apr 1, 2005

Most do.
    Some don't.
    You decide.
    Happy B-Day America!

12. HOUSER52

HOUSER52 Active Member

Jun 17, 2010

Thanks guys. Sounds like I can't go wrong by having both.

I'd like to see more comments on the subject if you have any.

I'll be keeping my eyes open for one locally if I can find one. In the meantime I'll keep reading the virtues of both here on KTog.

13. Gr8oneJC

Gr8oneJC New Member

Aug 7, 2009

I have a gen1 P32 and two gen2 3ATs. I bought the 32 for carry first and then saw a 3AT and had to have one since the size difference is so close you have to call them the same size. I have since bought a second 3AT with a Crimson trace laser for my wife to now carry instead of my hand-me-down P32. Now that the P32 is not carried I still like it and will not sell it unless I'm in need of cash. IMHO the caliber upgrade is worth it, even with the one round down payment you pay with the 3AT (6 vs 7).
    Look up GoldenLoki's web site for ammo info you want to have!

14. gordon11

gordon11 Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2007

:) This thread is funny to me because I posted basically the same one in reverse in the P-32 section.  I have the P3AT and was trying to decide if I need a P-32.  I did decide that I'll eventually get the P-32 but am in no real hurry.
    Best input I can give you is I love my P3AT.  Have now topped 600 rounds and has been flawless since the first couple of mags except for 1 fte a week or two back when it was really dirty and I was shooting cheap ammo.
    Went to the range today to celebrate the 4th and put another 65 rounds through without issue.  Had some novice shooters with me and still couldn't get a jam, even limpwristing.  P3AT is AWESOME!

15. HOUSER52

HOUSER52 Active Member

Jun 17, 2010

There's a thought, encourage my wife to carry the P32. She's had her CCW for years but has never carried.

16. HOUSER52

HOUSER52 Active Member

Jun 17, 2010

That's what I like to hear...600 flawless rounds fired. My P32 is on the way to it. I haven't shot it today but there's still daylight left. Still have 3 hours til dark and it'll be a lot cooler when the range gets shaded. Since I got it I've been practice drawing from the rear pocket holster to build muscle memory.

I've looked for a P3AT locally(Bass Pro & Gander Mtn.) this afternoon but no luck. There's a couple shops that might be open tomorrow that I can visit. Seems like there's lots of the 3AT clones in stock but why go with a copy when I can have the real thing and have results like yours?

17. KClowlife

KClowlife New Member

Dec 25, 2009

I guess it depends on why you'd want to have both pistols. I prefer to carry two pistols on me. But I prefer to carry the exact same model of whatever I'm carrying. My logic is that I have to only carry one type of spare magazine and in the confusion of use I don't want to have to guess which magazine I'm handling in the dark while my hearts beating at 200BPM.

If you already have other .32s sitting around then why not pick one up as they're so dang cheap. But if it's for personal carry in the summer time I say go with another P3AT. In the winter I sometimes go with a full frame .40 S&W and the P3AT as a backup just in the thoughts that it might be harder to find in a search if someone got the drop on me. But I'm really paranoid compared to most and much more practical than most.

Is another type of gun always fun? Sure. But if you're not packing 2 of what you already know, why add more variety?

18. HOUSER52

HOUSER52 Active Member

Jun 17, 2010

KClowlife-

I won't be carrying 2 guns just one. My thinking is to carry the 380 everyday while at work and carry the 32 on the weekends when wearing shorts and a tee shirt. I think I'm just looking for a reason to justify buying another Kel Tec.

I'm going to trade in a little Beretta 21A if the LGS will trade. The Beretta hasn't been out of the safe in years and barely shot. Might as well buy something I will use.

19. KClowlife

KClowlife New Member

Dec 25, 2009

each to their own. I'm a cheap *******. and the difference to me between a .32 and a .380 is so negligible that I could never justify owning one of each from the same company.

I'm just glad you're carrying at all. :)

20. diamond

diamond New Member

Jan 18, 2010

There, I corrected your spelling.  ;) :)