Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can see a slight peen but don't know if I should worry.
2G #HVxxx returned from KT with a new slide after FTE issues 12-06.
279 rounds shot with new slide 50 which where shot after buffing the guide rod.
Sorry for the fuzzy pics, camera phone.

Thanks for your opinions

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
imo, it will be making another trip home.  my recently repaired one will be too. jocko's too.

they should just junk the slides, get refunds from whomever hardened them, and figure out the process.

rjhauser - losing the faith, this will be a double-digit trip home for this one.  last work order - repaired, tested ok.  wtf is that.

???

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I feel a trip home at this point will get you another bad slide.
jocko just got his back, that's 4 months of bad slides. to quote ya rj, wtf?

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
hey, don't ask me, I am grandstanding, just ask others here.

rj - sending it back for a double-digit trip home AGAIN, and just fed up. at least my wife's life wasn't on the line. she could have poked someones eye out

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rjhauser said:
hey, don't ask me, I am grandstanding, just ask others here.

rj - sending it back for a double-digit trip home AGAIN, and just fed up.  at least my wife's life wasn't on the line.  she could have poked someones eye out
;D Rob-who wants his P3AT to shoot bullets not springs

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
Rubb said:
I can see a slight peen but don't know if I should worry.
As posted in past
when the clearance around the rod exceeds 0.020", the spring will come.  

I would get concern at 0.015"

You can use a strip of 20# paper to determine clearance

Some peening is good, as it works the metal and makes it harder

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
Rubb,

Your photos are a bit blurry, but the hole looks perfect to me. I don't see any metal protruding out the front and the hole doesn't look enlarged at all.

Maybe you got one of the first in the latest batch and they made them correctly this time? Hope so!

I have stopped recommending P-3ATs since the bad slide thing started. No telling how many guns they haven't sold just because of me. I'm not bad mouthing them, just warning those who are thinking of buying one at this time. Once they straighten this mess out I'll start recommending them again.

Bobo

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
JFB said:
...Some peening is good, as it works the metal and makes it harder
In response to a PM

I guess mine is a POS too...
As I've only shoot a few hundred rounds and the hole is a couple mils eliptical and there is a slight raised lip (less than 1 mil) around the upper hole.  

I guess call me S----d, but that doesn't worry me.  

And since I have modified mine and only shoot it occasionally to prove it still functions, I hope I never know the slide is POS since i don't plan on sending it back for that

As far as the superiority of the production of older slides... Maybe that one needs to be returned to KT so they can make the new ones like it

BTW, why the PM and not a Post?

------------------

If I had a gun that lost its springs, then got a new slide that did the same thing... I would be pissed too. I agree there is a problem here. Not just the bad slides, but the fact it still continues.

That is why I think it is a deliberate change to KT's manufactory process

If it is a harden problem, I guess the recoil hole is the canary before more serious problems develop.

If It is one of the CNC machines out of whack once every some many cycles, then KT may take some time to determine whick one.

Now, If this makes be a troll and a basher, then so be it.

I guess If I was some type of true KT zelot, I would call KT and try to help my beloved correct this problem before it tarneshes there image, But Naw.

I had a comany meatball tatoo once, but I gave up trying to protect its image even as it paid me well.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I guess If I was some type of true KT zelot, I would call KT and try to help my beloved correct this problem before it tarneshes there image, But Naw.

I had a comany meatball tatoo once, but I gave up trying to protect its image even as it paid me well.
L to the O to the big L !

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
what do I have to say after double digit trips home?

please fix it this time?

i think they HAD THEIR CHANCES with this. Now I am hostile.

does that make me a TROLL? ok, if so. But fact is, it still ain't right, and they haven't done anything to make it right

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
JFB said:
As posted in past
when the clearance around the rod exceeds 0.020", the spring will come.  

I would get concern at 0.015"

You can use a strip of 20# paper to determine clearance

Some peening is good, as it works the metal and makes it harder
I measured.137 with a dial caliper.

Bobo said:
Maybe you got one of the first in the latest batch and they made them correctly this time? Hope so!

Bobo
This slide was returned to me before the KT Christmas break so, no sign of good slides yet.

rjhauser said:
what do I have to say after double digit trips home?

please fix it this time?

i think they HAD THEIR CHANCES with this. Now I am hostile.

does that make me a TROLL? ok, if so. But fact is, it still ain't right, and they haven't done anything to make it right
I would be ticked too, guns returned to the factory for warranty repair should be fixed the first time period !

saia22 that is bad, I would not trust it myself in SD situation.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
rjhauser said:
...does that make me a TROLL?  ok, if so....
It would make me PISSed too.

RJ, I'm asking (just curious, not giving advice)
Have you felt you have talked with some one knowledgable or just a phone answer. I recall a post that gave the name for a contact.

Would KTWM provide you with the name of the person to contact.

Currently, I don't have a dog in this fight (yet) but I can't understand why It still persist. If we assume they knew how to make a slide in the past, why can't they make one now.

I feel, If the bad slides are few and random, the odds of getting a bad replacement are just too great, thus it is a big problem

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
Hmm, P-11 or a P-3AT or PF-9? Hmmm. I think I would rather stick with the proven and extremely reliable platform than go with the smallest most powerful pocket pistols that DO NOT go bang every time.

I LOVE, love my P-11, and I love shooting TxC's and 3wb's Subbies, but I cannot see how the PF-9 and the P-3AT are allowed to be sold with this many problems. And how can fellow KTOG members suggest anyone purchase a P-3AT or a PF-9 over a P-11 or P-32? Sure you may sacrifice firepower with a P-32. Sure you may have to deal with a little bit of increased weight and size when carrying a P-11, but these two models are totally reliable.

What is the saying, a P-3AT in the pocket is better than a P-11 at home? Well, my P-11 is carried everyday!!! As for as the P-3AT... what good is it in your pocket when it may not go boom when you need it most?

Call me a troll. I don't care. I am tired of reading fellow board members, and friends, having problems time after time with these two "envelope pushing" pistols. I just want my favorite gun manufacturer to stop pissing around get back to making quality firearms like we know they can.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
KelTekCajun said:
...I would rather stick with the proven and extremely reliable platform.... 
What bothers me, I thought the P3ATs had became a reliable product for a time there. It seems like when the PF9 became close to shipping, this slide problem came up.

I have a p32 made in that time period that worrys me slightly, since it has been in the display and not shot enough to know.

If it is a quality control or an attempt to reduce manufactoring cost, problems could easily spread to the P11

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
JFB, i have barked up the tree multiple times (actually after 6 times, I bark every time now), but under my circumstances, I am in no condition to bark at them any more.

p3at #1 and #2 have been sent back, recently

both got nondescript repairs (repaired, function tested ok), but I know they got new slides (I MARKED THEM BEFORE GOING BACK)

do now I have 2, and one that has already failed.  Do I trust myself in the condition I am in to the other one?

I think not.  I have already dug out what I will carry until this is resolved, but I tell you what, it sure is heavier and do my incisions no favors.

:'(

i really know they can do this, they had been doing it for so long, but something changed, and the "random parts bin" thing obviously ain't working

G

·
I only have 1 KT. A NIB P-32 (C5Lxx) purchased 12/05.
To date, I have @ 600 rounds through it. All have been factory (multiple brands) FMJ. It has been flawless.
Has this 'peening' problem ever been noticed in the P-32?

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
firedog978 said:
...Has this 'peening' problem ever been noticed in the P-32?
NONE has been report here.

It was just that when some one posted the first pic of the spring hole that easily look like it was made with a drill bit,

I first look at P3AT...some marks from springs, but looked flat and measured very shallow angle.

I then pulled P32 from bottom of display case and was shocked to see that its hole looked like the pic...it was made with a tapered drill bit and thinner near the ID.( 0.030" for P32 verses 0.050 for P3AT) :-/

·
Registered
9,377 Posts
What I don't understand is why they don't drill the freken hole with a step drill bit to start with.
Any number of companies make step drills of every size to counterbore socket-head bolt holes.
It is standard off-the-shelf tooling available to anyone.

Go here and do a search for "counterbore" to see them.
http://www.mcmaster.com/

Or here for another type.
http://www.vernondevices.com/spot_sinkbits.htm#

rcmodel

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.