1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Toolbox
Gun Hammer drill Airsoft gun Tool Starting pistol
Toolbox
hi guys, I am new to this form but I'm glad to be here. Hopefully I will learn quite a bit of do's and don'ts. I've had my son second generation Sub2K for eight months and I have several shopping lists ready to go just nervous to pull the trigger until I find out what has and hasn't worked. I have not successfully been able to find any cases that I like online. I'm a fan of hard cases not the soft ones. So, I decided to build my own. I'm sorry that I did not have the foresight to document my step-by-step process but if you have any imagination there won't be a problem. I started out by finding an empty Hilti drill case. Made sure it was big enough for everything I wanted to put in it, I'm sure you can go a smaller if you don't want to fit everything that I did. My first step was to take a Dremel tool with a cut off disk and cut out all of the interior ridges and plastic pieces that separated the drill from the batteries, battery charger and additional accessories. Then I took an angle grinder and ground them all down to where it was just a smooth flat open case on both sides. The next step was to purchase some adhesive spray and some half inch foam. I layered each side with about three layers of foam then on the last layer I laid everything out on a glass table on top of the last piece of foam just the way I wanted it and I traced everything with a sharpie. I took my little knife and traced all of my drawings. Then I took the top piece for the next half and flip the part that I had just traced and cut out on top of it and trace the holes and cut it out as well. Then I checked for fitment and everything was fine. So I started with the adhesive spray and laid it on both sides of each piece to create maximum hold. I think it turned out great. Not only does it provide a hard case protection but also a level of camouflage for the casual observer. All it cost me was the can of adhesive spray as I pulled the case out of the trash in the foam from work. What do you think of the finished result? What would you have done differently?

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
All it cost me was the can of adhesive spray as I pulled the case out of the trash and the foam from work. What do you think of the finished result? What would you have done differently?
Out Freakin' Standing!!!
Line Font

While waiting for the pics to load, I thought for sure would say "Milwaukee":

Excellent lesson here
Green Black Yellow Facial expression Emoticon
(I got one of my best gun-cases from a dumpster)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Awesome! And it locks too!
I used a hard-digg case that was heading to the drmo pile at work.
Then I found out how much that case is worth...lol.
Now I'm looking for a free replacement so I can sell the hard-digg case and get another gun!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am using an old 15 inch laptop bag, very much a circa 2000 throwback look.
For others, the downside is fit is a bit tight with the original muzzle thread protector. I wish I could have a full flash hider.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I really like that the Hilti case looks like it has been through some use from carrying a tool around in it. That adds to the urban camouflage. I think I will make a non gun looking template of my S2K and start shopping at Goodwill!
It will work very well for urban camouflage, but be aware that criminals target high end professional grade tools almost as much as guns, so this is still something they'd break a window for. I'm thinking old boring looking hard sided luggage cases might be a good option too and a little less attention getting. I actually knew one guy who used a diaper bag as his range bag for this reason. Complete with fake stains! I bet he could leave it full of a dozen glocks in the middle of the Bronx and it would be there the next day ;-)

Thanks for the inspiration and good build! I'm going to keep an eye out for old tool cases now.

·
Registered
148 Posts
What kind of foam is that? Insulation foam, craft foam?
Best foam to use for custom cases (IMHO) is Kaizen Foam. Rockler.com and Amazon.com both sell it in various sizes, among others who offer it. It is closed cell foam, so it doesn't absorb moisture, oil, Etc.; it is VERY easy to cut and create what you need for carrying firearms. I have used it multiple times and am very happy with the professional result.

·
Registered
148 Posts
That foam looks nice, but it's about $25 on amazon plus $7 shipping. I wonder if this would be wide enough. It's got pick and pull foam inside and it's $20

https://www.amazon.com/Plano-Protec...rd_wg=CjwJF&psc=1&refRID=8WKQXBPE12KPSW23FE09
Rockler has the following for the Kaizen Foam:
1-1/8" Thick Kaizen Foam, 2' x 4' Sheet @ $13.69 + Shipping
2-1/4" Thick Kaizen Foam, 2' x 4' Sheet @ $22.99 + + Shipping

Once you use Kaizen Foam, you will use nothing else. @ $13.69 + Shipping, cutting the 1-1/8" piece in half and gluing it together with contact cement, it provides a foam pad 2-1/4" thick at 2' x 2'. Pretty good for keeping our toys in place.

Be careful of getting into the syndrome of penny pinching to protect a $500+ firearm; kind of like putting a $25 Red Dot on your $2000 Rifle.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Gaujo - Yeah, the muzzle only has ~1/8" of padding. It is somewhat stiff, but thin none the less. I would have used a case for a 17" laptop, but I had this handy at the time.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.