Disc brakes on boat trailers

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by ftldrben, Feb 19, 2011.

1. ftldrben

ftldrben New Member

Oct 27, 2010
    I replaced the, ever rusting, drum brakes on my boat trailer two years ago. It gets cold here in Tampa so there's usually a couple months were the trailer doesn't move.

Now, two years in a row, I've got seized up disc brakes... Can you get brakes that can handle salt water (Salt Life)?

I don't know whether to repair or replace or start the form 4 on a beltfed and do what I really want to that dang trailer!

2. torrent

torrent Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2006
    [smiley=laugh.gif]

3. ftldrben

ftldrben New Member

Oct 27, 2010
    It's all about what you're prepared for. When flip-flops are 'shoes', 50 degrees is freezing!

You know the water's only 60ish right now!

4. Brewster6514

Brewster6514 Active Member

Jun 10, 2006
    how about trying to wash them off with fresh water after you dunk them into the salty ocean. :-/

5. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX
    1. Use Kodiak brakes. Upgrade to the high end, and Cabelas has them available.

2. CLEAN THOROUGHLY WITH FRESH WATER AND THEN SPRAY LIBERALLY WITH CRC

That will do it, if you do it that way, you should get 3 years out of them.

6. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Dang boats are money pits! ;D

7. Toforo

Toforo New Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Columbia, MO
    Aye - it's the same as standing in a cold shower and ripping up $100.00 bills....

8. ftldrben

ftldrben New Member

Oct 27, 2010
    Not that easy to do, such as when you're leaving the Keys from a 'natural' boat ramp.

Even rinsing doesn't help when you store the dang thing outside. Moisture gets the rotors rusted and it swells the brake pads which, in turn, grip the rusted rotors tight. Only solution is to bleed the brakes, put a wire brush on the drill, and then break them free from each other.

Or I might just take the two wheels with brakes off the trailer and take it back to the trailer place to have them explain 'what was so good about having cast iron rotors' when they should sold me/installed SS or bronze.

9. mjodell

mjodell New Member

Feb 7, 2011

;D Wow! I wish my boat only sat for a couple of months. Mine sits for about 8 monthes of the year in Southwest Ohio. :'(

10. ftldrben

ftldrben New Member

Oct 27, 2010
    Aye - it's the same as standing in a cold shower and ripping up $100.00 bills....

[/quote]

BOAT= Break Out Another Thousand

11. How about when you park it for the season, pull the tires off as above and put the trailer on blocks, sore the wheels, brake inside?