Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the, ever rusting, drum brakes on my boat trailer two years ago. It gets cold here in Tampa so there's usually a couple months were the trailer doesn't move.

Now, two years in a row, I've got seized up disc brakes... Can you get brakes that can handle salt water (Salt Life)?

I don't know whether to repair or replace or start the form 4 on a beltfed and do what I really want to that dang trailer!

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
how about trying to wash them off with fresh water after you dunk them into the salty ocean. :-/

·
Registered
14,984 Posts
1. Use Kodiak brakes. Upgrade to the high end, and Cabelas has them available.

2. CLEAN THOROUGHLY WITH FRESH WATER AND THEN SPRAY LIBERALLY WITH CRC

That will do it, if you do it that way, you should get 3 years out of them.

·
Administrator
31,982 Posts
Dang boats are money pits! ;D

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Brewster6514 said:
how about trying to wash them off with fresh water after you dunk them into the salty ocean.  :-/
Not that easy to do, such as when you're leaving the Keys from a 'natural' boat ramp.

Even rinsing doesn't help when you store the dang thing outside. Moisture gets the rotors rusted and it swells the brake pads which, in turn, grip the rusted rotors tight. Only solution is to bleed the brakes, put a wire brush on the drill, and then break them free from each other.

Or I might just take the two wheels with brakes off the trailer and take it back to the trailer place to have them explain 'what was so good about having cast iron rotors' when they should sold me/installed SS or bronze.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Toforo said:
[quote author=TxCajun link=1298129045/0#5 date=1298229258]Dang boats are money pits!   ;D
Aye - it's the same as standing in a cold shower and ripping up $100.00 bills....

[/quote]

BOAT= Break Out Another Thousand

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
ftldrben said:
[quote author=Brewster6514 link=1298129045/0#3 date=1298217757]
Or I might just take the two wheels with brakes off the trailer and take it back to the trailer place to have them explain 'what was so good about having cast iron rotors' when they should sold me/installed SS or bronze.
How about when you park it for the season, pull the tires off as above and put the trailer on blocks, sore the wheels, brake inside?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts