Disassembly

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by dave43, Dec 7, 2008.

1. dave43

dave43 New Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Got my new P3AT...looking forward to breaking it in. I just cleaned it and had problems getting the assembly pin out. I used a cartridge like in the manual but it scratched the finish. Anyone have suggestions on using something else to get it off?Also it was a little tricky putting back on..is there a specific process for this?

2. Mike

Mike New Member

May 21, 2005
    I use a small flat screwdriver to get it started then my fingernail. I am very careful and have not scratched it. Going back together I curse alot and that seems to help.

Mike

3. pedro

pedro New Member

May 28, 2008
    I use a tiny flathead screwdriver with a piece of tape wrapped around it to protect the finish.

4. rcmodel

rcmodel New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Eastern Kansas
    And kind of "Wiggle" it out while applying increasing pressure.

Not just pry it out in one fell swoop (POP)!

Wiggling gives the retainer spring a chance to work it's way up out of the groove in the pin.

If you just pry it out all at once, you may spring the grip housing away from the frame enough for the spring to slip out of it's pocket and bulge out the grip.

BTW: The brass case probably did not really scratch your gun. What you see is brass rub-off on the gun.

Some Hoppes #9 or copper solvent bore cleaner will clean it right off.

rcmodel

5. toddmog

toddmog New Member

Jul 8, 2007
    I use a curved dental pic and hold down on each side of the pin to keep the retainer spring in place. Just a little tug and it comes right out. YMMV