Disassembly Question

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Curt32, Apr 11, 2008.

1. Curt32

Curt32 New Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Say guys I got a question concerning field striping and reassembly of my P3AT. Found this really great you tube video please see link below, witch I feel basically explains everything but aren't you suppose to put some kind of pressure on the slide by the take down screw. Seems like that what I've been told here in the owners group but he doesn't do this in the video. Still haven't taken P3AT apart but after I get this understood I will. Thanks

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SkU2eDPBes[/ame]

Tom j

2. gpr

gpr New Member

Jan 6, 2005
    north palm beach
    if you keep some presure on the grip, you will have less of a chance popping out the spring...i use a small screw drive , and pry it so i tension is on the grip....don't be afraid of it...if it comes out, it's not a big deal to get it back...gpr

3. Sangueffusor

Sangueffusor New Member

May 13, 2007
    Indiana
    FWIW I have never had this happen when disassembling my P3, and I've had it apart many times.

4. artimus_prime

artimus_prime New Member

Nov 18, 2007
    Central FL
    I have had it happen, and using some pressure on the grip to both sides of the assembly pin keeps the assembly pin spring from dislodging.

5. Curt32

Curt32 New Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Did you have a chance to watch the video? if so would you say that he should of applied pressure on the frame to safely disassemble. And what's the name of this spring that might come out if pressure isn't applied. Thanks!

Tom j.

6. PshootR

PshootR Banned

Apr 1, 2005
    Part No. 284 - ASSEMBLY PIN SPRING.
    You should always pinch the frame below the assembly pin while popping out the pin.
    Otherwise #284 may pop out.

7. gatorhugger

gatorhugger Banned

Jan 19, 2008
    Ok, when I bought my first P3at, I heard this advice and asked some members about it just like you are now. I was advised by some to press down, others said no it was unnecessary.

What confused me was the grip in my Nov 07 HC was so hard I could not press down any. I realized it was making no difference pressing or not pressing. It was like pressing against steel.

Now I just got this used one made in 2005, I swear the grip is softer or thinner. Because on this one if I pull the pin without pressing down I can see the grip flexing. So now I press.
    Anybody else notice a difference in hardness in different years grips?

8. Curt32

Curt32 New Member

Feb 24, 2007

Thanks! that really makes a lot of sense, I'll check my frame to see it's a second gen so maybe the grip is hard enough that it won't be necessary well I'll see and report back.

Tom j

9. Curt32

Curt32 New Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Thanks for the info!

Tom j