Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, all I'm not much a forum poster, but I like to check in from time to time and read up on more than a few posts, but I'd figured i share about the project I'm working on.

I'm the owner of a hydrographics company in East Texas, and a year and half ago i got ahold of an RDB 20. Recently I got the Lucky Irishman Raptor Rail, and MCARBO trigger spring, and while installing the trigger spring i realized that there would be a way to dip the rdb without taking out the "action" of the gun.
I can take one half off, dip, finish, reassemble, and then take the other half and start all over again. From a dippers perspective, this complicates things. we usually like to just strip the gun, and tape off one half, then the other, clear coat, and say done. Total of 2 dips. with the RDB I'll have to do it in 4 or 5. I'll be sure to upload pictures as I go

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So the first post was actually a few day old draft. I've actually already began the work and dipped the handguard and stock/top of the gun. It's being done in Virtus's Delos pattern.Tonight I'll work on the side of the gun. Unfortunately the holes in the raptor rail break up the pattern. The ridges on the sides of the gun may do the same. hopefully it'll look great when it's put together.
20200713_195927.jpg
20200714_213454.jpg
20200714_221847.jpg
20200715_130217.jpg

·
Registered
50 Posts
While I'm not a fan of that particular color/pattern, that looks really great. Looking forward to seeing it assembled.
Did it apply well to the "alligator skin" patterning on the pistol grip?
What would I expect that to cost? Whats the durability of that?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
While I'm not a fan of that particular color/pattern, that looks really great. Looking forward to seeing it assembled.
Did it apply well to the "alligator skin" patterning on the pistol grip?
What would I expect that to cost? Whats the durability of that?
yea the pattern isn't turning out exactly as expected, its not bad by any means, but i got caught up finding out it's possible to dip it that i didn't look at total surface area. smaller or more abstract patterns or camos would have looked better i think. I wanted to try something a bit different than what you would typically see dipped on guns. who knows, if i don't like the way the side turns out i can redo in another pattern. We should see how it turns out tonight.

Sorry kind of end up rambling, and to avoid a wall of text i put durability and pricing in a spoiler
To answer your question about Durability, Dipping is essentially a proper automotive paint job, powdercoat, and cerakote are a lot tougher, (although some people have found a way to mix dipping in the powdercoat process). Rifles usually do pretty well dipped, but personally i haven't done any of my guns. most of them looked pretty nice as they are, but I've dipped the plastics on my motocross bike, and its still holding up at the track pretty well. Also my phone case was done 2 years ago and started chipping a month or 2 ago from being dropped all the time, but its not peeling/flaking off even with bits of the original case exposed. Pistols on the other hand, don't do so well, Kydex Holsters and tight fitting safeties/slide locks (pretty much any tight contact points) can mar those areas, pretty badly, pretty quick. it's why most hydro dipping companies wont put a warranty on pistols.

As for what I would charge, i wont be able to tell until i finish, see if there are any ways to streamline the process if possible. As for pricing in general. there's no set pricing for hydrographics companies, depends on where they're located at, and what type of things they're good (or bad) at dipping.

If you convinced someone to take it on they would probably charge a little bit more than a complete AR. Although RDB's are smaller than typical AR's, there would be more time, and work dipping an RDB. someone would have to take the RDB apart into 4 pieces (handguard, 2 halves of the lower, stock) and dip 3 times, Clear coat the one half of the lower, then put the lower back together. and then take the other half off, and begin on it, since it was holding the action of the gun in alignment. (least riskiest way that i know of so far, considering the design of the gun) just adds more time, and chances for things to go wrong really.

·
Registered
340 Posts
That looks really cool. Personally I'd opt for a different color pattern, but it's great to see someone else's creativity at work. Really well done. I'd love to see the final product.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here it is fresh out the dip tank. I think the pattern turned out great, I was scared the ridges would trap air.
I'll make sure to dry it off a bit more, then it's back off to the paintbooth. although once I put it back together to get the other side, I may have a problem separating the other half without marring this sides edges. Especially if it was as stubborn as this side was.

20200715_205939.jpg
20200716_221228.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,846 Posts
I respect the effort,
but Im not a fan of making real guns look like toys, or toys looking like real guns.
Cops have it hard enough on the street already with kids and their toy guns.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I respect the effort,
but Im not a fan of making real guns look like toys, or toys looking like real guns.
Cops have it hard enough on the street already with kids and their toy guns.
Thank you, and that is a legitimate concern, but this is my personal project and it isnt going to be seen out anywhere unless I'm at the range, personal pasture, or out hog hunting. The pattern is from virtus outdoor group, and It Is definitely a unusual pattern for a gun. I think I've just had too many guns come through lately and it's either kryptek, or mossy oak recently, kinda got burnt out on the drab colors and wanted something a bit brighter I guess. I may come to dislike the pattern later, but I have the means to redo it later if it comes to that
I definitely didn't intend for it to look like a toy gun, but speaking of that I've seen someone do a glock to look like an nintendo zapper.

Attachments

·
Registered
345 Posts
Honestly I'm getting my RDB + KS7 done up in white and sky blue like a cloudy sky, for much the same reason. I'm tired of all the muted drab tacticool camo that everyone goes with, time to go a bit brighter.

Then again my firearms cases are all filled with neon-pink foam so maybe I just want my firearms to keep up with their cases at this point. XD

·
Premium Member
2,846 Posts
@Edboy427 I do understand your intent an didn't mean to imply that you were making your gun in toy colors.

A thing I think would be cool is to dip all the RDB plastic in white to make a Stormtrooper rifle. For me, that is something better seen than owned. The OD green RDB is something I could own.

·
Registered
345 Posts
A thing I think would be cool is to dip all the RDB plastic in white to make a Stormtrooper rifle. For me, that is something better seen than owned. The OD green RDB is something I could own.
I considered that, even got a sample of their literal Stormtrooper White, but the texture/feel was just all wrong on the super-ultra-gloss finish so I'm going with the matte white with some blue wisps breaking up the monotony.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Pieces have been cleared are done drying. I'm about to use my lunch break to put the lower back together to get the other half, and prep it for tonight

I work as a parts painter for a train repair shop along with the hydrodipping, at least until I can get the hydro dipping in it's own shop instead of my garage. Works out though, I can leave at almost anytime to work on large orders or if someone's ordering a gun from me

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Other half is dipped, give it time to dry, and it should be cleared and put together in the morning.
20200717_203005.jpg
before I took the other half, I slid the top on to get an idea on how it looks put together
20200717_160258.jpg

·
Registered
832 Posts
I'm a subdued kind of firearm junkie, but I find the idea intriguing.

Someone asked as to the toughness of it. I do too.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Had a busy weekend, didnt have a chance to post but heres the finished product. Although I did screw up putting the standoff for the raptor rail in, and deformed it. I'll have to get another one later. My roommate and I were going shooting since i just got ahold of a winchester model 97. So I just slapped the old handguard back on and brought it along. Didnt notice any problems and got to try the trigger spring, love it so far. best $19 I ever spent.
20200720_111521.jpg
34162.jpeg
34164.jpeg
There are things to note however
The magazine release is stiff, either a clearance issue, or i stretched it too far taking it off. If it's the first or may get better with time, or a drop of oil. No problems putting a magazine in and it staying.
Safety selector is a tight fit, may wear away at the dip eventually, I flicked it back and forth for a minute with no issues, so it's not tight enough to mar that spot immediately
I got mixed answers from kel tec customer support on whether or not this voids the warranty, over the phone I got one saying "it won't void it", one "do at your own risk", like the trigger spring, and an email saying it would void it. So I'm leaning to its void, but who knows. I heard someone stippled the grip on some other keltec firearm and sent it in no problem even though that was supposed to void the warranty.

All in all i enjoyed the project and like how it turned out. Learned some things and quirks about dipping this gun. A few things I could have done better in case I decide to redo it later or the slim chance someone brings one to my shop for me to do. I'll update this thread with anything else I note as far as wear or durability goes.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
@BJK
Dips on rifles usually do pretty well, the rdb is definitely different though so we'll see how it lasts. I went a bit more in detail in an earlier post on durability with some examples, felt like it didnt add much to the topic but a wall of text so I put it in a spoiler if you want to read a bit more on it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
@BJK
Dips on rifles usually do pretty well, the rdb is definitely different though so we'll see how it lasts. I went a bit more in detail in an earlier post on durability with some examples, felt like it didnt add much to the topic but a wall of text so I put it in a spoiler if you want to read a bit more on it.
Every since I got mine I have wanted to carbon fiber dip mine

1 - 20 of 22 Posts