Difficult Slide Spring

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by buckeyedave, Jan 15, 2010.

1. buckeyedave

buckeyedave Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Hi All

I have a new P3AT with only 100 rounds through it. It has fired without one single problem but the slide if very stiff. Difficult to pull back without a lot of effort. Feeding new rounds and ejecting spent is A OK. Just racking that little thing is so difficult I am concerned about disassembly for cleaning. I have cleaned it three times by supporting it in my vise with rubber clamps ( I use for building golf clubs ) so not to damage it. This way I can pull back the slide to clean and lube it.

My concern is if I get it apart I will not be able to compress the spring(s) to get them back in place. Is this normal for this gun? Any suggestions?

Thanks, Dave

2. RCACFBilly

RCACFBilly New Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Dave,

When you take the slide off for cleaning the springs, barrel, and guide rod come off with the slide. Spring pressure is not an issue here. Simple push the slide back a bit to relieve the pressure on the assembly pin.

How have you cleaned it without doing this already?

Billy

3. buckeyedave

buckeyedave Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Billy

By holding the slide open with my left hand and running the cleaning/lube rod thru the barrel and cleaning down the ejector port while holding it open also.

Am I misunderstanding the disassembly procedures? I thought you take the slide off then remove the barrel and springs? I watched a couple of You Tube videos and that is what I thought happened.

Dave

4. RCACFBilly

RCACFBilly New Member

Mar 29, 2008
    When the slide is removed the springs and guide rod will be easy to see on the bottom of the slide. They are easy to remove and replace. I don't think the springs are strong enough to give you any problem. Be careful to keep them contained. My guide rod went into orbit last week while replacing them in the slide. It re-entered the atmosphere and was located in a plant in my kitchen.

Many folks find it a bit difficult to rack the slide on the 3AT but replacing the springs in the slide and reinstalling the slide are not at all difficult.

Billy

5. buckeyedave

buckeyedave Member

Jan 1, 2010
  6. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    the forces of the factory springs are 2.5# to 9.2#, so the force you need to apply to the head of the recoil rod to get it back into the slide/barrel is only about 3#s