Different Ammo problems

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Celtic_Warrior, Jul 16, 2009.

1. Celtic_Warrior

Celtic_Warrior New Member

Feb 15, 2009
    As we all know 380 ammo is hard to come by so I have been buying what ever is available (except Wolf).  I finally got time to head to the range to see how the P3 would handle the Prvi and Focchi, BITD all I used was independence and American Eagle with zero problems for ~850 rnds.  Both the Prvi and Focchi had a couple of FTF, with light strikes and Smileys. It happened about 3 times out of 25rnds with each brand.

So when I get home and start cleaning I check the feed ramp and it is just touching the front of the mag, maybe 0.025.  So I do a real light rampectomy and clear the mag by about 0.025. This should stop the smileys.

The questions I have, has anyone else had this type of problem with any foreign ammo and could a smiley cause a light strike (doesn't seem like it should, but what do I know - I'm just a rocket scientist)?

2. Little_Z28

Little_Z28 New Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Here is a topic that I started involving light strikes. Maybe it'll give you some insight, maybe you have different issues than myself. But mine love the American Eagle and Independence brand ammos and hated the rest really bad. There's some really helpful people here though, and they can probably help more than myself....

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1245894434/0

3. diamond_jim

diamond_jim New Member

Oct 28, 2008
    Haven't had any 380 ammo except 2 boxes of Hornady CD's for 4 mo. now. Don't want to shoot them. My Gun Shop owner/friend called a little while ago, and said he got 1 case of CCI blazers in this afternoon and saved 2 boxes for me. Cleaned the p3at up yesterday, and changed the batteries in the laser, going to go shooting tomorrow, hopefully, shoot at least 50 rds, and save 50 for later, then put the Hornady's back in for carry. Jim <><

4. raymac1215

raymac1215 New Member

Dec 31, 2008
    I have been lucky getting .380 ammo. The only Ammo I have ever used in my P3AT is Federal Hydra-Shok and Law Enforcement by Federal. I have never had a FTF or any othe problem so I'm sticking to what works for me. We have 2 P3AT's and never ever had one issue. I would say around 600-800 rounds. Just clean them and shoot them. Great firearm !! Good luck with yours too !

5. diamond_jim

diamond_jim New Member

Oct 28, 2008
    Just got back from shooting the blazers, AND first 5 mags went perfect, then smileys with feed jam every 2 0r 3 rds. in the next 2 mags. But the book says no steel or alum casings, so be it. This particular 3at, has 700 rds through it with no hic-ups till now, and also the first time I tried blazer ammo. Will not use it again in the 3at. I'm sure it'll work fine in other 380's. Jim <><

6. Celtic_Warrior

Celtic_Warrior New Member

Feb 15, 2009
    ThX guys.  

I'm thinking the smiley is pushing the bullet back in the case and causing the case to move just that little bit deeper into the breach and the firing pin is just hitting the cap.  I also noticed that the spent casings were a little bent up, at the top.  So the brass may be a little on the thin side, also letting it go deeper in the breach.

Now that the rampectomy is complete and polished I'll put another 25 rnds of each through it again followed by 25 rnds of either Independence and/or American Eagle.

I'll let you all know how that turns out.  It's just target ammo, my CD works great but i"ll put a mag of the through it just for a warm fuzzy (the weapon is the full time carry and I still have confidence in it).