Did you prep your P3AT before using it?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by David_the_Gnome, Dec 14, 2007.

1. David_the_Gnome

David_the_Gnome New Member

Dec 12, 2007
    I'm just wondering how many actually did the fluff and buff before ever shooting their P3AT? I haven't had a chance to get to the range and break mine in yet and I haven't decided if I'm going to do the fluff and buff before going or not. When I field stripped the gun and gave it a thorough cleaning it looked pretty good in all the key fluff/buff spots so it may run fine. If I do the fluff and buff is it possible Kel-Tec would not honor my warranty?

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    what is the diferance between a good new gun cleaning/lube and F&B besides polishing the ramp any way?

3. gpr

gpr New Member

Jan 6, 2005
    north palm beach
    i works for me...does that count as yes or no...gpr

4. Ohio_Rusty

Ohio_Rusty New Member

Aug 4, 2007
    I didn't do a complete fluff-n-buff per se'. I did clean it well of any manufacturing crumbs or any other pieces that might have been in the gun from the factory. I did find some stuff upon cleaning, so I'm glad I did. I noticed the feed ramp had some machining marks that were visible, so those were polished away with 600 grit wet/dry sand paper. The only thing I did after that was to lube all the parts well with Slip 2000 and work the action alot until I could run some rounds thru the gun. I've put about 100 rounds thru mine and I've had no failures to feed, eject or fire. I keep the gun lubed and cleaned, and on the outside exposed metal parts I keep a light coat of RIG gun grease to help prevent rust. My gun has been 100% reliable so far using ball ammo. I do have some Gold Dot hollow points, and I keep one of those in the pipe ready to fire followed by a magazine of ball ammo.
    Man o' man this P3AT is the greatest thing next to sliced bread and toilet paper !!  
    Ohio Rusty

5. flonder22

flonder22 New Member

Feb 11, 2007
    Polish up that feed ramp real shiny and good and lub it up with oil and grease. After shooting, if you need to do more F&B go ahead, just don`t over do it by removing metal and stuff. Take a little time here and research some of the many post on F&B if you have not done so already. As long as you don`t start cutting, drilling, sawing and such, your warranty is good for life. :)

6. gilbertfamily2000

gilbertfamily2000 New Member

Dec 3, 2007
    The only thing I did to my P3AT was clean and lube it...and I'm glad I did. I could not believe how dirty it was from the factory. It was a grey grip/blued slide/silver barrel (if someone can tell me what my silver barrel is made of, I would appreciate it).

When I looked under the slide, there was a lot of surface rust...I couldn't believe it. I didn't like the grease (?) from the factory either.

My RemOil soon replaced the gunk and when I get it back from the service dpt., Militec-1 will protect it. Didn't notice anything that needed to be "fluffed & buffed".

GoVols

7. Sangueffusor

Sangueffusor New Member

May 13, 2007
    Indiana
    It's just bare steel. All the blued-finish guns come with a bare barrel.

As for my P3-AT: I cleaned and lubed it after first getting it, no polishing. Then I shot about 80-some rounds and had a few feeding problems. Then later I shot about 50 or so more rounds and had a few more feeding problems. Then I polished the feed ramp and the hammer/slide interface, and haven't had any problems yet.

8. gilbertfamily2000

Dec 3, 2007
    It's just bare steel. All the blued-finish guns come with a bare barrel.

As for my P3-AT: I cleaned and lubed it after first getting it, no polishing. Then I shot about 80-some rounds and had a few feeding problems. Then later I shot about 50 or so more rounds and had a few more feeding problems. Then I polished the feed ramp and the hammer/slide interface, and haven't had any problems yet.[/quote]

Thanks for the info...have any idea how much it would take to blue the barrel? Would it be "tacky" to buy the cold blue stuff from Wal-Mart and blue it myself?

GoVols

9. keast

keast New Member

Oct 30, 2007
    I only polished the ramp, chamber and articulation on the bottom of the barrel with a dremel and automotive polishing compound, followed by flintz. I didn't clean or lube. It fired 100 Remington FMJ with two getting stuck on the ramp. A tap on the back of the slide sent them home to be fired. Now I've cleaned and lubed it and am anxious to see how it does on the next 100. My scabs are all healed so I'm ready to go. This time I'll used bandaids. I've glued on some fiber optic sights so I'm curious to see if that improves my aim.

10. tommy51s

tommy51s New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Kansas City
    I took mine apart and did a pretty complete f&b on the rails, trigger bar, etc. But the feed ramp looked OK, so that's one thing I didn't do.

11. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    I did not do the F&B. Cleaned, lubed, racked slide 200-300 times and maybe ran about snap caps through about 100 times. The two problems I had (bad extractor(replaced by Kel_tec) and bad mag catch (replaced with metal one)) and the current problem (peening (nylon washer in pace to mitigate)) would not have been prevented or corrected by a F&B. Gun was 100% after extractor replacement (~200 rounds) until mag started dropping and has again been 100% (~300 rounds) since the metal catch.

12. gilbertfamily2000

Dec 3, 2007
    BillK,
    A couple of questions...where did you get your metal mag catch and where did you get the nylon washer?

Thanks,
    GoVols

13. Sangueffusor

Sangueffusor New Member

May 13, 2007
    Indiana
    You certainly could. However, due to the way the gun operates, the barrel wears in certain spots. Any old cold bluing would wear off very quickly in those areas, like around the barrel hood.

14. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    HERE in the trading post

15. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    IMO, F&B is just a final polishing of internal parts that more expensive guns get as a matter of course before they are assembled.  It can never hurt anything.  It makes the gun operate smoother, can preclude some problems, and really gets you familiar with the workings of your pistol.  Granted, the earlier KT pistols shipped rougher than current production so it is not as important as it once was.  Still, it is a good thing.

I like Goldenloki's version as the pics are helpful for the uninitiated:

Reliability Prep:
    http://www.goldenloki.com/guns/keltec/prep.htm

Advanced Reliability Prep:
    http://www.goldenloki.com/guns/keltec/prep2.htm

Lube guide:
    http://www.goldenloki.com/guns/keltec/care2.htm

16. ib4singlestack

ib4singlestack New Member

Nov 14, 2007
    No, but then I wanted to shoot +60 rounds, FMJ & SD, at the range/store where it was purchased NIB.
    Kind of a test drive, sort of thing. Would I clean/lube/polish another new one before shooting it ? YES

17. Logan

Logan New Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I put 100 rounds through it before I did the F&B. I have not fired it since. My first 50 rounds I had about 4 FTF, the second 50 was 100%. I did the F&B though, can't wait to see how it does.

18. Powerkicker

Powerkicker New Member

May 31, 2007
    I did the F&B after my first jam-packed trip to the range. No problems since.

19. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX
    i clean and lube all my weapons before use.

:-/

20. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    BillK,
      A couple of questions...where did you get your metal mag catch and where did you get the nylon washer?

Thanks,
    GoVols[/quote]

GoVols,

JFB, in his post above, has answered about the washers by giving you a link to follow. I also got the metal catch off this site. I think the KTOG member that sells the metal catches had some issues that kept him off this site for awhile but is back now. Think I read that he's in the process of getting his machine shop back up and running. Maybe some other reader can respond with more info concerning the metal catches. I'm waiting on getting a second P3AT in hard chrome and intend to accessorize with both a washer and a metal catch when/if I can get another one.

Take care ...