Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 162 Posts

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By now, unless you've been under a rock, you are aware of a number of folks who have seen some peening around the guide rod hole on their P3AT.

AFTER

A couple, at least, have ultimately done this:

Based upon the serial numbers, I think many if not all of these slides were manufactured many months ago.  Kel-tec said several weeks back that the problem has been fixed.  However, there are likely some guns still sitting on shelves in gun shops that will end up needing service.  To make matters worse, several people sent in their peening slide only to receive replacement slides that did the same.  

The fact is that Kel-tec produces 1000 P3ATs per week and the number that have had these problems is likely minuscule.  However, that's little comfort if you happen to get one.  So, while this all gets worked out, and it will, perhaps we can shield some of our members from risk and shed some further light into the details of this issue.

If you bought a P3AT and the slide has peened significantly,
please do 3 things:

1.  Call Kel-tec, give your serial number and find out when your gun was made.

2.  Post your serial number here (use an X for the last digit or two) and give us your manufacture date.  Pics are good if you have any.

3.  Contact Kel-tec and give them the details along with any grief you feel is appropriate.:

http://www.kel-tec.com/contact.php

I will sticky this thread until the problem has been resolved.

Let's reserve this thread for this exclusive purpose..

·
Registered
115 Posts
Three trips to KT and then they destroyed my old gun and built a new one for me using the same serial numbers. I finally get a kt that works perfectly and then I discover this after only 200 rounds fired. P-3AT built in Feb 2007. BTW, it is J4RXX.

·
Registered
164 Posts
J65XX, the original slide was pretty bad after 150 rds. Fired all rounds at one trip in January after I bought the gun new in January. Called and got a replacement slide on Feb 2nd. This slide looked the same but is holding up better. It is still peening, but not as bad after 200 rds with it.
Once I know for sure this problem is worked out I will send for a new slide. Until then I will shoot it sparingly. This is my only carry piece and I do feel confident with it, that is unless the peening gets to the point that it looks like the springs will fly.

·
Registered
115 Posts
TxCajun said:
Vette, if I had your gun, I would do the same.   Do you have one of JFB's washers?  
I thought about it, but I am not going to shoot my KT unless it is for self defense. MY KT works great and if I do not shoot it anymore, the peening issue will not matter. Once KT has nothing but good slides, I will take a drive to Cocoa. BTW, it is J4RXX.

·
Registered
464 Posts
J0DXX I will call KT later today to get manufacture date. 75 rounds so far, can start to see the spring through the hole. Also is starting to wear 2 spots on the bottom of slide on the right hand side, check the from and can not find any burs or other cause.

·
Registered
53 Posts
J2Axx, september 06. it has gone back once for peening problem, could see spring after ~ 400 rounds. sent back slide. second slide slightly exhibits same peening problem. the area around rod hole is raised  .011" . can not see spring - yet. put plastic washer in second slide after 50 rounds. the washer may slow down the peening. fluffed and buffed both barrels.  both slides have always been 100% reliable - no ftl, ftf, fte.

·
Registered
396 Posts
J6Hxx Problem showed after just 17 rounds.

Only have 32 rounds through it now, but it is obviously worse.

When brand new, the inside edge of the guide rod hole was literally thinner than a piece of paper. I am going to shoot about fifty more rounds (or until the springs fly) and then send back the slide.

I am going to ask that they inspect the one they replace it with to insure it does not simply repeat the problem.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I wonder how many folks with peening problems
have HC slides. It may be that the HC holds up a
bit better, though even after 1500+ rounds, mine
is starting to show problems.

Anyone else with HC slides that are peening? (just curious)

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Noticed slight peen after 229 rounds, buffed guide rod and shot 50 more with no noticeable difference.GR hole measured .137 before and after.
Will re-measure after more rounds.

#HVxxx with KT replaced slide shipped to me 12/11/06

279 flawless rounds, a slight peen and a close eye on my slide

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
By now, unless you've been under a rock, you are aware of a number of folks who have seen some peening around the guide rod hole on their P3AT.

AFTER

A couple, at least, have ultimately done this:

Based upon the serial numbers, I think many if not all of these slides were manufactured many months ago.  Kel-tec said several weeks back that the problem has been fixed.  However, there are likely some guns still sitting on shelves in gun shops that will end up needing service.  To make matters worse, several people sent in their peening slide only to receive replacement slides that did the same.  

The fact is that Kel-tec produces 1000 P3ATs per week and the number that have had these problems is likely minuscule.  However, that's little comfort if you happen to get one.  So, while this all gets worked out, and it will, perhaps we can shield some of our members from risk and shed some further light into the details of this issue.

If you bought a P3AT and the slide has peened significantly,
please do 3 things:

1.  Call Kel-tec, give your serial number and find out when your gun was made.

2.  Post your serial number here (use an X for the last digit or two) and give us your manufacture date.  Pics are good if you have any.

3.  Contact Kel-tec and give them the details along with any grief you feel is appropriate.:

http://www.kel-tec.com/contact.php

I will sticky this thread until the problem has been resolved.

Let's reserve this thread for this exclusive purpose..

·
Registered
49 Posts
Serial # HNGxx. Bought it just last year and it’s got around 800 Rounds through it.

The first weekend I got it, at 60 rounds, the grip broke at the hammer pin (a problem I think I’ve narrowed down to black gripped pistols in the HKxxx to HRxxx serial # range) and the entire pistol was shipped back to KT. They returned it with (as far as I could tell) a replaced grip, barrel and slide. Oh, and they also included a note that the ammo I was using (Blazer Brass) was not recommended!

Those dipstick hacks at CCI – when will they learn how to make accurate and reliable ammo with consistency? Stay away from that stuff boys! It’s A- quality at best.

Anyway, I was hoping to make a 1,00 rounds and then send the slide off for refinishing but unfortunately the slide didn’t look anything like this when I got it back last March:

Close:

Hi-rez: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v607/dolomite1911/close2eJPGmsg6593D529-1D43-421C-B3B.jpg

Closer:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v607/dolomite1911/p3at/closer2eJPGmsg6593D529-1D43-421C-B3.jpg

Closest:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v607/dolomite1911/p3at/closest2eJPGmsg6593D529-1D43-421C-B.jpg

The Inside:

Hi-rez: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v607/dolomite1911/inside2eJPGmsg6593D529-1D43-421C-B3.jpg

The oval-ish measurement is about 0.1445” one way and 0.1430” the other.

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks to those who have left their serial number and manufacture date. Is is refreshing to see people that can follow SIMPLE instructions. I purposefully provided a link to Kel-tec CS for any feedback you may wish to leave. This is MY thread and I am not the Kel-tec QC or complaint department. There are ample threads for expressing opinions. This is NOT one of them. Just the facts please. I thought my color-coded, bolded, enumerated post was pretty clear, which is why I repeated it on page two and will continue to do so, for all the good it does. :-/

·
Registered
55 Posts
J5D** here...150 flawless rounds but noticeable peening and beginning to see some spring. everything else seems finished to abnormally high standards (for KT) Very happy with exception of the peen. IDK how to find manuf. date...but the paper that covered the slide when I bought the gun said July 2006 on it if that means anything!

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
manr0e said:
IDK how to find manuf. date...but the paper that covered the slide when I bought the gun said July 2006 on it if that means anything!
You'd have to call KT for the born on date.  IIRC, the date on that paper is the oil impregnation date for the paper itself and not at all related to when the gun was made.   ;D

1 - 20 of 162 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.