Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Was looking at KSG parts for no real reason and noticed what appears to be a built in hand stop on replacement forends

Haven't seen any actual pictures showing this. Anyone seen a newer KSG with a built in hand stop on the forend?
Or is the diagram angle fooling me?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Kel-Tec updated the design of the KSG even though they don't call it a Gen 2. What you've linked is the current production design (unofficially the Gen 2). Here's some differences between the two generations:

Tube Selector Switch

Gen 1:
http://bullpupforum.com/index.php?P...ction=dlattach;topic=5897.0;attach=9119;image

Gen 2:
http://bullpupforum.com/index.php?P...ction=dlattach;topic=5897.0;attach=9121;image

Checkering pattern on the forend grip.

Checkering pattern stops with a slant on Gen 1
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/b6/1b/04/b61b04960acd51bd21e55361247fcf28.jpg

Checkering pattern stops evenly in a straight line on a Gen 2 and there's also finger stop lips in between where your hands go.
https://www.coatesguns.com/wp-conte...GunsLLC_KelTec_KSG_Black-1200x675-cropped.png

·
Registered
143 Posts
Mine is the newer version and it doesn’t have that hand stop looking thing. The plastic pic rail just ends at the front and is flat like this one.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just got a brand new KSG (latest production design) and mine looks exactly like yours in the photo. I'm wondering if it's just the angle of the drawing.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, the more I look at it the more it's more than likely it's the angle of the drawing

·
Registered
12 Posts
Was referring to the parts, they cerakote black parts to do the other colors to sell aftermarket last I checked. And my tan KS7 from earlier this year is coated plastic not dyed through.
I called Kel-Tec and they say the parts are now molded in the correct color. They no longer cerakote them because they were having customers complain about color matching issues (e.g. getting two halves of the forend in different shades of OD green or tan).

·
Registered
337 Posts
I called Kel-Tec and they say the parts are now molded in the correct color. They no longer cerakote them because they were having customers complain about color matching issues (e.g. getting two halves of the forend in different shades of OD green or tan).
Aaaaah, okay that's good to know they moved to molded, but yeah I agree that's bonkers they price the colors different now. o_O

·
Registered
535 Posts
Black one is the raw molded plastic. The tan and green they send out for painting, so yeah, extra cost.
Green plastic must cost more
They're the color that they is, thru and thru.
"Cost" has nothing to do with the selling price (on any consumer item that there is).
Supply and Demand has everything to do with the selling price.
And... of course, the economy of scale is a determining factor in selling price as well.

This thread isn't about manufacturing economics, so I'll stop there, with two little scenarios.

I worked at an indoor gun range in the mid 80's, where we harvested brass and range lead, and manufactured bullets and assembled ammunition for range use by the customers. We reloaded someplace on the order of 1.5 million rounds a year, on 7 different automated progressive machine (AmmoCrafter, Star and Dillon). Why did we sell 45LC ammo for $10.50 a box, and 44Mag for $7.50 a box? Because its what the market would bear. Our cost was the exact same.

When Colt came out with the King Cobra revolvers, there were no Wolff spring kits. I bought a King Cobra, and decided to wind up my own springs using SS wire and our lathe. The boss liked, so he said... make some more, we'll sell 'em. So, I made up about a dozen more kits of springs. The boss asked, what are we gonna sell 'em for? I said, I dunno, there's about about a nickel worth of wire in each kit, and once I got going I made up a dozen kits in 20 minutes. How about a buck fifty a kit? Boss shakes his head. He goes, how much are the Wolff kits? I said $6.50. He said, how about we sell this kit for ten bucks, and I'll give you five for every one we sell? I was gobsmacked. Thats more than the Wolff kit, I said. But he said, that's right, but there is no Wolff kit, so they'll pay the price. And they did.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Check out the FN SCAR. 4 shades of FDE on a $2k-$3k rifle.

·
Registered
287 Posts
The likely reason for the higher price of colored parts for the Kel-Tec guns is...........
Manufacturers higher cost for making a limited number of colors other then basic black.

A manufacturer will offer a lower price for larger orders then small orders.
The manufacturer makes large numbers of black parts, and not many of other colors.
That requires a different machine set up and a different plastic mix.
Result, higher cost for fewer parts of a different color.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Was looking at KSG parts for no real reason and noticed what appears to be a built in hand stop on replacement forends

Haven't seen any actual pictures showing this. Anyone seen a newer KSG with a built in hand stop on the forend?
Or is the diagram angle fooling me?
Just picked up brand new gen 2 today. no forend stop.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts