Did I short-stroke my P-3AT?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by gbm5170, Jun 21, 2008.

1. gbm5170

gbm5170 New Member

Mar 7, 2006
    At the range today, I had numerous problems with my P-3AT. I'd fire then when pulling the trigger for the next shot, it would have no resistance and retract fully without cocking the hammer. I'd have to pull back the slide a 1/4 to 1/2 inch to reengage the trigger.

I presume this is what short-stroking is all about. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong. Never ever had this problem before (hundreds of rounds through this gun already). Now today I have this issue pop up. Worn parts or the shooter's fault?

2. Rubb

Rubb New Member

Jun 19, 2006
    Yes.
    I've had this happen to me too.
    Usally after I have not shot for a time
    or I've spent time with the 1911 :D
    Let the trigger go fully forward.

Every range trip shoot the 3AT.
    Especially If it's your EDC.

3. haugrdr

haugrdr Super Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    A huge +1 from me on everything he said. [/quote]

SHHHH!!
    Don't tell Ruger, but this improvement is just starting to ship. :)
    no more snapping off the hammer-block for P-32, P-3AT, and PF-9's
    From now on, only Ruger LCP's will be snapping off the hammer block (until Ruger purchases a new P-3AT that is). :p...[/quote]

[/quote]

4. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    [/quote]

From what I read about the new trigger,

if you short stroke it, you can just release it completely and it will fire.  Since hammer did not drop from block, there is not need to reset by racking

5. haugrdr

haugrdr Super Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    ahhh, sorry, I missed that about having to rack the gun to get it to fire. And I had just read the other thread.

Rick

6. Packer

Packer Banned

May 14, 2005
      This is NOT short stroking. Something is either broken or sticking. Check all of the parts in the trigger bar chain. Especially look at the little shaft on the trigger axis that engages the trigger bar. Check the tang of the trigger bar for broken parts. Make sure the trigger spring is staying in the groove and nothing is hindering upward progress of the trigger bar. Also look at the hammer block for gunk or broken spring.

Sometimes a P3AT hammer spring will break just at the top loop, (While appearing to be perfectly good) and cause this.

Packer.

7. gbm5170

gbm5170 New Member

Mar 7, 2006
    Thank Packer, I'll be taking the P-3AT apart to inspect everything.