Did I make the wrong choice?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by gordon11, Jul 31, 2009.

1. gordon11

gordon11 Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2007
    After months of agonizing over the p3at/p32 decision(i'm too poor to get both), I settled on the p3at and put one on layaway.  I've been reading about the smileys for some time but didn't think much of it until recently (buyers apprehension, I guess).  Are smileys a serious issue and does it contribute to light strikes?  Any input would be appreciated.  Also, for someone with no power tools and little know-how, how practical is the rampectomy in correcting these issues?  I'd probably have to get someone else to do it.

2. JKMprof

JKMprof New Member

Jul 27, 2009
    Well, I think the .380 is a much better choice than a .32.
    The ramp work is easy to do, just removing the end of the ramp with a dremel, you just want to take it slow and not overdo it.

3. molachi

molachi New Member

Jun 16, 2008
    Pensacola, Fl.
    I wouldn't get too worried about smiley's. As far as polishing the feed ramp you can use some 400 or so sandpaper and do a good job.

John

4. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    First off I would check and find out if your P3 causes smileys, take it to the range (after you clean and lube it) load a magazine and fire a few rounds. Then clear a live round from the chamber after you've fired the round before it and look for a smiley. If you like test the SD ammo you want to carry for smiley also as they can stop jhp's from expanding properly.
    I have never heard of a smiley causing a light strike.

http://www.1bad69.com/keltec/smiley.htm

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1237693987/0

If you need/want to do the feed ramp mod I would highly recommend a small needle file set to do the work, along with some 400 or 600+ grit sandpaper.

CJ

5. Cubriver_Kid

Cubriver_Kid New Member

Aug 8, 2008
    I suspect things will work out. When you get the gun, be positive. It seems that problems with the newer guns are few and far between, and if there is a serious problem that cannot be worked out, there is always Kel Tec service, and they will defiantly make it right.

Let us know when you get the gun and have had it to the range, give us a report. :)

6. JB

JB Guest

IF yours needs the rampectomy, you don't need power tools.  Even though I have a Dremel, I didn't use it on the feed ramp because I didn't want to remove too much material too quickly.  The 'smileys' I was getting were pretty pronounced and I was of the opinion that the cause of those smileys had something to do with the occasional but all to often failures to feed that I was getting.  Polishing the ramp had helped with frequent failures to feed but I was still getting a few.  Also, I was concerned that the damage caused by smilies to JHP ammo might interfere with the JHPs opening up.  This was not as great a concern with the Hydrashoks which are in my primary carry mag (they seem to be a little shorter and don't get banged up as badly by the ramp) but the Remington UMC JHP that I carry in my backup mags showed pretty marked effects and I figured that would be the case with most other JHPs, even premium stuff, that isn't as truncated in the nose cone section as are Hydrashoks .

I modified my feed ramp with a file (it was a little bigger than a needle file - though I used needle files to modify the barrel hood) and sandpaper.  It only took about 20-30 minutes, including polishing it out with very fine sandpaper when I was finished - and I was a little concerned, at first, that I might have taken off too much.  Thankfully, it doesn't seem as if I did.  With the way I reshaped the ramp, I still observe light 'smileys' but haven't been having the failures to feed and the damage to the HPs isn't nearly as bad since I did that so I am not all that concerned.  I am nowhere near being a gunsmith, even an amateur one, but the info I have found through KTOG has helped walk me through these modifications.

7. raymac1215

raymac1215 New Member

Dec 31, 2008
    I have 2 later model P3AT's and have never had one bit of trouble. Like the other fellow said they have greatly improved on quality and I would stake my life on it,(carry always).  Please don't become troubled by some of the problems you read, you may never have one single problem.  Good luck with your new P3AT !!

8. abuck50

abuck50 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2008
    NW Ohio
    If you are going to CC your P3AT, you made the right choice. I think the P3AT is the most fire power that I can carry everyday with comfort.

Craig

9. gordon11

Dec 30, 2007
    Thanks to everyone for your help.  Thats why I love ktog.
    I have learned to reserve judgment until I have my own experience.  I have an old Interarms Rossi that I bought new back in the 80's that was supposed to be bad.  5000+ rounds later it's still like new.
    The rampectomy sounds easy enough that even I could do it.   I did polish the feed ramp on my P-11 when I got it until it was as slick as glass and have never had a feed issue with it.  Of course I know it's a different animal.

10. rjwiggall

rjwiggall New Member

Jul 28, 2009
    I agree with abuck.
    When I first got my p3at I was actually a little hesitant to carry ANY firearm in my pocket because of the "potential risk" to my "valuables," and the added responsibility of being an armed citizen (I just got my permit a couple of months ago guys, so don't critize my tentative-ness too much). Since carrying my P3, I've looked at a couple of other guns (P11, Baby Glock, Kahr PM40), and in my opinion, the P3 is one of the few guns out there that blends a resonable amount of power with the ability to conceal almost flawlessly. Don't get me wrong, I really liked (and drooled over) the PM40, but it just wouldn't disappear into my pocket like my little P3. I personally think you made a great decision. Don't worry about the flaws you read just yet, my 2nd gen works great and I've not tinkered with it at all... to be honest with you other than field stripping it to clean it after I go to the range, I've never even taken it fully apart. :)

11. gordon11

Dec 30, 2007
    Thanks rjw. Thats exactly what leaned me toward the p3at over the p32. Virtually the same size and a good bit more power. I do carry my P-11 a good bit but look forward to having an always gun.

12. abuck50

abuck50 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2008
    NW Ohio
    I wouldn't go and do a "rampectomy" right away. I have had no smiley issues with my 2nd gen model. GoldenLoki did a "reliability prep" on it though. That was after I had run several hundred rounds through it. GoldenLoki was running a special on his service so I just took him up on it. I use this weapon for personal defense. I want every edge I can get if I have to use it. I have a CT laser on it also. I still only have about $500 in it with holsters. I know of no other gun at any price that I would rather carry everyday!

Craig

13. frankalm

frankalm New Member

May 29, 2009
    You made the right choice..... just wait and see. Shoot it before you do anything to it, it will probably be fine right out of the box.

14. gordon11

Dec 30, 2007
    [quote author=abuck50 link=1249037750/0#11 date=1249089562]I wouldn't go and do a "rampectomy" right away. I have had no smiley issues with my 2nd gen model. GoldenLoki did a "reliability prep" on it though. That was after I had run several hundred rounds through it. GoldenLoki was running a special on his service so I just took him up on it. I use this weapon for personal defense. I want every edge I can get if I have to use it. I have a CT laser on it also. I still only have about $500 in it with holsters. I know of no other gun at any price that I would rather carry everyday!

I'll definitely put some rounds through it before I do anything.  If I ever need work done I won't hesitate to use GoldenLoki as well.  I've soaked up a lot of his freely dispensed knowledge and improved my P-11 and other guns as a result.