Did I get lucky?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by indyjoe, Aug 16, 2008.

1. indyjoe

indyjoe New Member

Jul 19, 2008
    I took my brand new P3AT out to the range for the first time today.  I decided that I was going to do almost no buff and polish and not grease yet.  If it runs out of the box, it should do even better with a proper grease.  All I did is manually cycle the slide about 100 times.  I figured that would simulate some rounds and polish the slide some.

I really like this little firecracker.  I have one mag with a +1 on it and one stock.  It is really tough to get more than 3 shots without fixing your grip with the stock mag, but I can send all 8 down range and accurate with the +1 installed.  That is the first thing I'm ordering for the second mag.  I shot 50 rounds of standard Remington ball .380 and 20 rounds of Speer Gold-Dot.  The only thing I had any problem with is getting a round to feed once or twice when I was dropping the slide.  This was just a technique problem.  While shooting, no FTE or FTF.  I'm loving this gun.  It is now cleaned and properly greased and put away from now.  The trigger is also really smooth and fairly light.  Good enough to get all my shots inside a 1/3 scale IPSC target at 25 feet (about 5" square).

I treated this thing like a Glock and it was as reliable as my Glocks.  From all I hear about various problems, I wonder if I'm lucky. Heck of a pistol.

2. Cremator

Cremator New Member

Oct 31, 2007
    I think the product and the QC is just getting better. I pretty much had the same experience as you except mine came with a zippered pouch.

3. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX
    My experience was similar, I cleaned mine with CLP before its first trip to the range but that's all.

Most people are quick to report problems and look for solutions so I think that's why it seems tey get a bad rep sometimes. If things work like they're supposed to most people take it for granted.

Glad you had a good experience.

4. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Trust me - your experience is very typical.

5. Bobo

Bobo Active Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    I don't think your experience is unusual. Most people that have a good experience such as you did don't bother to post. Thanks for balancing the data a bit.

Most people come to this forum because they have had troubles, want to improve their gun in some way, or want other advice.  This is sort of the Kel-Tec Hospital. Someone here once said, "You don't see too many healthy people come to the hospital".

Yes, you read of a lot of problems here, but the vast majority of Kel-Tecs have no issues at all.

The latest figures I could find (2006) show that Kel-Tec averaged over 1000 P-3ATs per week that year. Way more than their competitors. They made more .380s in one WEEK than Seecamp and NAA combined made in a YEAR!

Total number of .380 pistols manufactured in 2006 = 126,939
    Seecamp .380 = 272
    NAA Guardian .380 = 697
    Kel-Tec P-3AT .380 = 52,912
    http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/stats/afmer/afmer2006.pdf

Bobo