Did I break this before even Firing???

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by JTMalley, Jan 15, 2008.

1. JTMalley

JTMalley New Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Got my new P3AT. Love the size. Uncle Mikes #2 pocket.

Broke it down this AM to clean it before the first range testing.

Came into 5 pcs.

Bottom
    Slide
    Spring
    Barrel
    Take down pin

I did it on a large table so no pcs fell on the floor.

Isn't the extractor supposed to pop out??

My serial number is JJxxxxxx

Thanks

2. Danner

Danner New Member

Jan 14, 2008
    Yes, the extractor falls out. Just slip it back into the frame when you reassemble the pistol.

3. JTMalley

JTMalley New Member

Jan 15, 2008
    It didnt seam to fall out. It looked like it was still attached. Could it be factory grease holding it. I did not want to mess with it.

Just in case I was looking at something that was not the extractor, I ran a full mag of snow caps through it racking the slide and the snow caps popped out with good flight.

Just not to sure about the interworking of the gun.

Looking at the manual it semaed like everything is in place.

Anyone could email me a picture it would be appriciated.

4. Bobo

Bobo Active Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    The EXTRACTOR is the part under the flat spring in this photo - it does not fall out...

[​IMG]

The EJECTOR is shown in this photo - it can easily fall out...

[​IMG]

5. Danner

Danner New Member

Jan 14, 2008
    Oops, my bad. Roger that, noted to file.

Danner, out :-X

6. JTMalley

JTMalley New Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Well when I did the strip I did not have the ejector on the table. I am at work so I cant break it down and look now.... :( I called Keltec to order a new one incase it is lost. They are sending me some extras :) and Plus 1 to KT. What would happen to the gun if I used it without it? Would not having it prevent the snowcaps from flinging out when I racked it?

Should I still do the range test today?

7. Some folks here have reported that the gun will work with the part out, but I would not try it!

I use grease on my rails and slide, and I also place a bit of grease around the edges of the ejector to help it stay in place during breakdown.

Did you follow the links on the break down etc?

There is also some good information on the fluff and buff!

And Danner.... not to worry... alot of folks get the name of the two parts mixed up!  That is why I posted the pics and noted the part numbers.

P -  art
    3 - (numbers)
    A - lways
    T - ough

(How ya like that Danner?!)

8. JTMalley

JTMalley New Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Thank you very much for the links. I will have to have a good breakdown tongiht to check on it.

Someone also told me they have factory grease so it might have just stayed put like it should. The only other explaination is that the vendor had broken it down and lost it but the pin was in there really tight. Had to use a knife to dislodge it so I think it was the first time it was pulled.

I do have to say I do love the size of this bad boy. Sitting in my pocket all day long and is a very easy carry.

Jason

9. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    The assembly Pin should NOT get any easier as you repeat field stripping. The Pin should be locked in place with a hair pin spring in the grip. Once installed correctly, the pin head will move in and out a few thousands and have to be forced to over come the hair pin.

10. JTMalley

JTMalley New Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Found the part. It was in the gun but thanks to the factory gunk stuck in place. Took it out and did a good cleaning of the gun and put back together. Tonight the range test.

11. Jason...

Don't forget that this gun likes a LOT of lube.

I grease the rails and a few other spots.

Check the links posted above to find out more, and good luck shooting!

12. Danner

Danner New Member

Jan 14, 2008
    HAHA, very funny ;D

13. dgreer

dgreer New Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Hi JT,

Welcome to the forum and to KT fun! You have inadvertently learned a good lesson about your ejector. Part 115 has a long history of jumping out and running to hide. In fact it is very good at doing this. :-/

But you got lucky and as you have seen, just a little bit of grease under the part will help to keep it in place during breakdown. Many KTOGERs report losing this part when it jumps out and takes off. But, once you clean it make sure to lube your P3AT very liberally and use grease on the slide rails.

Good luck at the range...let us know how it goes.

DG