Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
There has been several threads that discuss cycling issues, but hopefully this will be a place to definitively discuss the full cycling of the pump.

I have watched many YouTuber Reviews and mostly came away with "rack it hard/fast/fully". I am hear to dispell that, or more to the point, try to detail the important parts of the cycle.

Rules of Engagement: clear your gun, keep it safely pointed away from anything you don't want dead, use dummy rounds if able.

So first off, the pump moving aft has 2 functions. There is a distinct "pause" or "bump" between these functions as:
1) the chambered shell is ejected and then
2) the next shell is moved from mag tube to ready it to be chambered when pump is moved forward.
If you don't get that last 1/2 inch, Failure to Feed or jam could result.

Pic below:
  • Top half is Stage 1 of pulling pump aft which ejects "fired" shell. Note the 1/2" space between trigger guard and triangular part of pump.
  • Bottom half is last 1/2", which moves next shell from mag tube to prechamber area. You can see the lifter arms angled up to allow next shell to be pushed into pre-chamber area. There is a felt difference in "resistance" as this happens. I think the movement of arms and such increases the felt resistance and can cause some to short stroke the pump and thus james, etc occur

Here is another view of same action looking into chamber
Left side is with pump after shell ejectedbut not last 1/2"
Right side is last 1/2" where the arms move up (when KS7 is upside down) & the left hook (outer catch?) moves out of the way to allow next shell to go into prechamber.

i have a video where I slowly cycle pump ensuring that last 1/2' is fully traveled and 2 3/4" shells perfectly cycle.
-Not fast.
-Not hard.
-Just fully to the end of travel.

wishing I could embed video of KS7 cycling shell upside (even upside down) by slowly moving pump.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
There has been several threads that discuss cycling issues, but hopefully this will be a place to definitively discuss the full cycling of the pump.

I have watched many YouTuber Reviews and mostly came away with "rack it hard/fast/fully". I am hear to dispell that, or more to the point, try to detail the important parts of the cycle.

Rules of Engagement: clear your gun, keep it safely pointed away from anything you don't want dead, use dummy rounds if able.

So first off, the pump moving aft has 2 functions. There is a distinct "pause" or "bump" between these functions as:
1) the chambered shell is ejected and then
2) the next shell is moved from mag tube to ready it to be chambered when pump is moved forward.
If you don't get that last 1/2 inch, Failure to Feed or jam could result.

Pic below:
  • Top half is Stage 1 of pulling pump aft which ejects "fired" shell. Note the 1/2" space between trigger guard and triangular part of pump.
  • Bottom half is last 1/2", which moves next shell from mag tube to prechamber area. You can see the lifter arms angled up to allow next shell to be pushed into pre-chamber area. There is a felt difference in "resistance" as this happens. I think the movement of arms and such increases the felt resistance and can cause some to short stroke the pump and thus james, etc occur

View attachment 56163

Here is another view of same action looking into chamber
Left side is with pump after shell ejectedbut not last 1/2"
Right side is last 1/2" where the arms move up (when KS7 is upside down) & the left hook (outer catch?) moves out of the way to allow next shell to go into prechamber.

View attachment 56164

i have a video where I slowly cycle pump ensuring that last 1/2' is fully traveled and 2 3/4" shells perfectly cycle.
-Not fast.
-Not hard.
-Just fully to the end of travel.

wishing I could embed video of KS7 cycling shell upside (even upside down) by slowly moving pump.

easiest way i found was too set up a YouTube channel and upload your video. check your privacy and access to only people with link can view then post link here. i hope you do as it would be nice info for people.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts