Design change in 2nd G P3AT?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Jon17, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Jon17

Jon17 New Member

Aug 12, 2007
    I just picked up a new P3AT yesterday, serial JTR##. The tiny piece that sat in the slide isn't there on this gun. Is it missing or did KT change the design recently?

Thanks.

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    I'm at a lost. I don't recall a tiny piece in the slide for the 2G. the 1G has the recoil rod guide that was an insert into the front of the slide

3. Brewster6514

Brewster6514 Active Member

Jun 10, 2006
  4. Jon17

Jon17 New Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Yep, it was the ejector. Sorry about that. It had been a while since I took the old one apart. It was on the frame not the slide. THe ejector used to fall out real easy on the one I got rid of. Didn't even notice it on the new one when I took it apart last night. I feel a little silly. Thanks all for your help.

5. downhill

downhill New Member

Jul 2, 2008
    Yea, it's the ejector. I forgot to put mine back in the last time I broke it down, and I think it might have shot better without it! ::) All the casings landed about 10 feet behind me and about 3 ft to the right. :-? Not one malfunction and no distortion of the casing either. It's kind of embarrasing considering how much trouble went into designing that complex shape :). I wish the thing was retained somehow.

6. george

george Guest

I think your gun will work jest fine with out it. I have a 1G (014xx) that has shot 285+ with no missfire.
    I do have one KT sent me put I do not know wher it goes in..

Geo.

7. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    They will generally work fine w/o the ejector assuming the extraction is sufficiently vigorous. Also, the upcoming round will help knock the empty into orbit. Sometimes you need the ejector for the last round.

downhill: A dab of grease holds mine in place pretty well. When field stripped, it won't fall out until you remove it.

George: The ejector sits in that little rectangular cutout on top of the left-rear frame rail. It will only fit in correctly one way so mess around with it a bit. Here, you can clearly see part 115 (red) above its cutout in the yellow frame of the gun. When you remove the slide you will see the gap on top of the frame rail.

http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/p3atparts.html

8. A hint to keep the ejector put until you want to take it out:

Place a couple of spots of GREASE on the edges that contact the frame, then slip the ejector in.

9. downhill

downhill New Member

Jul 2, 2008
    Thanks for the grease idea. It reminds me of another retention trick. You can use bees wax as a low grade loctite. Just melt it on the screw or part and assemble.

10. PshootR

PshootR Banned

Apr 1, 2005
    The 1st Gen. guns had part #194, recoil spring catch, attached at the front of the slide. 2nd Gen. guns incorporated this part in the slide itself.