Dented JHPs in my magazine

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by av8r476, Mar 5, 2010.

1. av8r476

av8r476 New Member

Mar 5, 2010
    Hi. I'm new here, so I hope I'm not asking one of those tired old questions everybody hates to read. I searched the message boards and didn't find what I was looking for.

In my 3at, which I've had for 2 years and have put maybe 300 rounds through, I carry Gold Dots. I've noticed if I have a full mag, fire one round, then eject the mag, the top most round in the mag has gotten dented, presumably from the recoil of the first round flexing the guts of the gun. Is this normal? There's also a lot of fouling of the rounds left in the mag, too, but that isn't so much a concern as a hollow point that's suddenly more oblong than round. So far I haven't noticed any feeding problems, but I'm thinking more about reliable expansion on impact.

Is this normal, and should I be concerned?

Thanks for any wisdom and advice you have to offer, and thanks for letting me participate!

-Brandon

2. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    Welcome to KTOG.

It's a common problem with the P3at, mine does it too.

http://www.1bad69.com/keltec/smiley.htm

They improved the feed ramp with the 2nd gen but it still happens. I tried to modify(file and sand) the feed ramp but it still does it. Some people also think that the recoil in the magazine can damage the rounds inside.

CJ

3. sprinter1

sprinter1 New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    It's fairly normal, I wouldn't worry about it.

4. av8r476

av8r476 New Member

Mar 5, 2010
    Good enough, then! The description & picture at the bottom of CJ's link is exactly what I'm experiencing. As long as it isn't unique to my gun and you guys don't find it serious, I'm ok with it. Like I said, performance doesn't seem to be affected. Thanks for your input!