Deer Stand setup day -pics added

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by burley, Nov 7, 2010.

1. burley

burley Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    Great weather for getting the stands up and scouting around a bit...

No deer seen today but there was sign;
    [​IMG]

there is always some coyotes around too (this den empty - for now)
    [​IMG]

modern technology is nice too (getting too old to lug these an 1/2 mile on my back)
    [​IMG]

youngest son helping on the new stand;
    [​IMG]

and it's up;
    [​IMG]

some new straps for the old stand and it's ready to do duty;

[​IMG]

N E view, have some flatland cactus up on the knob;

[​IMG]

bottoms on the right ,S W view;
    [​IMG]

in the bottoms under south stand looking north;
    [​IMG]

2. Bert

Bert Banned

Mar 4, 2007
    Very nice.

We have several in the barn, but they are all the flatform with no rails type. I definitely like the newer, safer ones better. One problem for me is their weight. Too much, and I am too short for decent leverage putting them up. For me - a two-man setup (even with ATV).

questions for edification of newbies -

Private or public land ? How long does one leav them? (In TN, cannot leave them on public land)

Any issues with people getting in them ? What are the ethics, and how do you solve situations?

What about liabilities?

How do you secure them (from theft & vandalism)?

B.

3. torrent

torrent Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Looks like you're set up in a good place Joe. Looking forward to the big buck pics when you get him.

4. mkamer

mkamer New Member

May 19, 2005
    The stand location looks great. I'd like to get a 2 man stand one of these days. Good luck this season.

5. burley

burley Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    Bert ,  you build radio towers , you could figure a way  ;)
    I had my son help and we used his 4x4 to transport them in. I'm too old/tired to carry anything that size very far lest I'd have too  ;D I had my son throw a rope thru a fork in the tree and pull on the backside while I walked the front pushing up 1 rung at a time(not really heavy just awkward). He used the 4x4 to help him reach a branch and climbed up to fasten the base. We use ratchet straps. Land is private so not much problem with theft (none has happened in over 20 years) and never have had anyone encroach the area while I was hunting and never anything missing. (heck my pull rope has been used in the same stand of trees over 22 years, starting to rot,I'll replace it this year) We rotate placement so we don't kill/choke the trees off with the ratchet straps.

6. Bert

Bert Banned

Mar 4, 2007
    awwwww, shucks... :)  Plan the work. Work the plan. :cool:  

Good points

Well, I hope you fill the freezer and get a trophy off of that stand this season.

Stay safe, have fun with your son.

B.

7. kaisersosse

kaisersosse New Member

Nov 7, 2010
    Nice setup. good luck!